Cannot link to an item in macOS Finder [Evernote 10.9.10]

Hello,

I tried the new Evernote v10.9.10 and notice that I cannot link anymore to an item in macOS Finder. This worked in the classic version v.7.14. Those links look like this: file:///Users/martin/Desktop/untitled%20folder

I'm on High Sierra.

I need to have those links in my notes. Please reinstate this feature because I use Evernote as my information hub  :)

Thanks,
Martin

• Like 1
Am I the only user having the issue?

None of the following links work with Evernote 10.9.10 but partly do work with Evernote 7.14 on macOS High Sierra:

Works in Evernote v7.14 - Does not work in Evernote 10.9.10
MAC OS FINDER – file:///Users/martin/Downloads

Does not work in Evernote v7.14 - Link can be created in Evernote 10.9.10 but then just opens in a browser
DEVON THINK – x-devonthink-item://5F28855A-21B8-4268-BBC2-A63BF04FE0D1

Does not work in Evernote v7.14 and does not work in Evernote 10.9.10
THINGS – things:///show?id=ToNNXNDwkt7gkLZvtUx9L4

Works in Evernote v7.14 - Link can be created in Evernote 10.9.10 but then just opens in a browser
CARDHOP – x-cardhop://show?id=contact:C1826097-1D1B-45C3-9464-0FD5A103067F&contact=CVS

Thanks,
Martin

Here's a response from Evernote support (emphasis in red by me):

Chipo A. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Mar 22, 2021, 9:12 PDT

Hello Martin,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support. I'll be happy to assist you with your concern. 

I understand that you tried the new Evernote app for your Mac and found out that you cannot link items in macOS finder anymore. I appreciate and thank you for giving out the link example, and for stating that this feature works on the Legacy version of the Evernote app.

Just to give you a heads up, we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team.

For the meantime, you can download the Legacy version of the app that you can use side-by-side with the new Evernote app. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article: Install an older version of Evernote.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help troubleshoot with you so you can get back to being productive with Evernote.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding, Martin. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns. Stay safe!

Cheers,

Chipo A.
Customer Support Representative

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

same issue.  i was using Busycontacts which connected fine, but CardHop links are being auto converted with a http:// prefix which renders them useless.  any help here would be appreciated. 

• Level 5

What works for me (as a workaround, I don't see it as fixing the file linking):

1. Select file in Finder
  2. Right click on the file in the path row at the bottom of the finder window, choose "Copy <filename> as path"
  3. Go to EN, blue + menu, insert link
  4. In the link window, give it a name. Now type "file://" into the link field, and past the link. When there is a "File://" prefix, EN will not enter a "http://" in front of the link.
  5. Save the link.

If you want to click on it, it seems a double click is needed. The first click will only place the cursor into the link, the second will then execute an "Open" command. This works for everything that uses Preview as standard app.

I could not make it work for other apps, like a keynote presentation. So this is no recommendation or blowing a whistle that file linking now works. It just shows that some of the functionality is still there in v10. I tested with Ventura 13.3.1 and EN Mac 10.55.

To get an improved function, action from the devs is needed. So contact support to show interest into getting such a feature. They did create a linking to Google Drive in the end, so maybe they will allow something similar to local files and apps using them.