(Archived) local notebook secure backup

What client are you using? If you're using Windows, in tools/options/general tab, you'll find the location of your database. Backup that folder (the exb file is the critical one, although I just backup the entire folder to...be...safe...)

Not sure what you mean by securely.

Automatically...backup program of your choice. There are a zillion out there. I use a combination of Syncback (to local drives) & Amazon S3 (via Jungle Disk desktop for offsite storage).

All of your data is stored within your Mac "home" directory, under:

Library / Application Support / Evernote

If you back up your "home" directory with something like Time Machine, then your Evernote files will be backed up, too.

You can also back up an individual notebook from Evernote if you right-click and select "Export" to export it as an Evernote archive (*.enex) file.

I've heard about this method of backing up (Of using Time Machine) from Evernote Support, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure how it works. Even if you restored the database, wouldn't it override and conflict with the existing files online? For example, if someone hacked and messed up your account, what would you do from there if you decided to restore from a Time Machine backup?

I've heard about this method of backing up (Of using Time Machine) from Evernote Support, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure how it works. Even if you restored the database, wouldn't it override and conflict with the existing files online? For example, if someone hacked and messed up your account, what would you do from there if you decided to restore from a Time Machine backup?

If someone hacked into your EN account & say changed or deleted many/all your notes, you'd need to coordinate with Evernote support in order to get your database (on the EN servers) back the way it should be. Because most likely, you'd not be able to clear it out & reupload from your backup b/c you'd exceed your monthly upload limit. I suspect in that case, EN may have backups they could restore your account from. But even if they don't, you'd at least have your backup you could get to them (somehow) - I'm not really sure how they'd handle that type of situation. Probably a "deal with it when it happens" thing.

Having your own backup is also helpful if your local database gets corrupted/lost (IE hard drive crash), especially if you have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks. In my case, my EN database (mostly sync'd notes) is nearly 4 gb. If my hard drive crashed, I would have a recent backup to start from (that would sync any changes made after the backup down from the EN servers) rather than having to start with an empty database & sync all 30,000 notes down from the EN servers.

If someone hacked into your EN account & say changed or deleted many/all your notes, you'd need to coordinate with Evernote support in order to get your database (on the EN servers) back the way it should be. Because most likely, you'd not be able to clear it out & reupload from your backup b/c you'd exceed your monthly upload limit. I suspect in that case, EN may have backups they could restore your account from. But even if they don't, you'd at least have your backup you could get to them (somehow) - I'm not really sure how they'd handle that type of situation. Probably a "deal with it when it happens" thing.

Having your own backup is also helpful if your local database gets corrupted/lost (IE hard drive crash), especially if you have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks. In my case, my EN database (mostly sync'd notes) is nearly 4 gb. If my hard drive crashed, I would have a recent backup to start from (that would sync any changes made after the backup down from the EN servers) rather than having to start with an empty database & sync all 30,000 notes down from the EN servers.

Very valid point. :) Not sure how your 30,000 notes account for only 4GB of notes. :| I have 1,400 notes with 1GB...

If you restore the database, you'd have access to your old notes until the client synchronizes with the service. I usually recommend that someone just disconnects their network cable before starting Evernote for the first time. Then you can Export any notes from the old database, which can be Imported into a synchronized account.

Archived