2 questions (silly questions—I don't know)

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

I am using EN 10.9.10 and 2 questions come to me.

a. Before, I am sure in EN, I could open the 'help' menu and see a search bar. With this I could search EN for whatever I needed, rather than now having to know exactly what I needed and the precise name of that function. Is the search gone?

b. Before, I was sure that I could edit html docs clipped into EN. Now I cannot.

What is happening?

I don't know what platform you are using but I'll assume either desktop or web.

56 minutes ago, Traveller1 said:

a. Before, I am sure in EN, I could open the 'help' menu and see a search bar. With this I could search EN for whatever I needed, rather than now having to know exactly what I needed and the precise name of that function. Is the search gone?

The search bar is at the top of the sidebar.

image.png.81b283dc3c39a1dc3fede77ad223d9e1.png

57 minutes ago, Traveller1 said:

b. Before, I was sure that I could edit html docs clipped into EN. Now I cannot.

You are right. Webclips are now stored in an html content box. The reason for this is that as websites become more complex the conversion from html into EN's own format becomes more difficult. This frequently led to mangled web clips. To prevent this EN have preserved the original html and stuck it in a box. The flip side of this is that you cannot edit it directly or even highlight key words or phrases. Using the menu that appears if you click the grey bar you can "Simplify and Make Editable". Another very similar approach is to capture the webclip in simplified format in the first place. Both approaches may mess up the clip but do allow you to then make changes.

Personally I like the fact that I can normally capture something without it getting messed up. Not being to highlight is the main downside for me. 

• Level 5

Another option is to convert the web site to a pdf, and save this into EN. How to do this depends on the OS you are running and the tools available to you. Usually I copy the sites URL into the new note to be able to go back to it.

The conversion breaks the link to the HTML code, but if you need the static content, it probably doesn’t bother you. The pdf is very easy to annotate or use on different platforms.

Thanks for the info about html clipping.

Regarding the search box, I was unclear. I was referring to the option to search the help topics, not my notes. For example, I could open the help menu and there would be a search box where I could type 'format' and all the format options would appear. This meant even if I did not know the exact name of the service I was looking for I had a good chance of finding that service.

ps Macintosh version.

7 hours ago, Traveller1 said:

Regarding the search box, I was unclear.

I misunderstod -  looking back I think you were quite clear. If you click the help and learning menu item in help you go to the website which has a search facility. It's better than nothing but not very good. For a company that prides iteslf on search it could do with thinking about it's website! I think we should at least have the option to limit searches to the actual client I am interested in. 

If you haven't seen them there is a series of very short youtube videos that go through different aspects of using the apps but they are probably far to simple for what you need. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4I5cq2DfrSrEEvnxWyLkY_oCPvIlPMCi

• Like 2
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Search has not really changed from the legacy client. Both send the search request to the EN help pages. There selection could be better, as @Mike P has already pointed out.

The only option that is not implemented in V10 is the assistant that shows where to find a function in the Macs menus. In legacy you can choose it after entering the search string, and it will open the menu and show the function with a blue arrow. This is pretty standard to Mac apps - whether it was not yet implemented, or does not work with Electron apps (the framework in which EN is nested) I does not know.

• Like 2