File Links Erased in Version 10.9.10

I've been bouncing back and forth between version 10 and Legacy. Just when I thought version 10 was stable enough to use it full time a major defect has come up.

I have links to files on my PC embedded in several notes. After upgrading to 10.9.10 all file links were lost. The link would be blue and look like: Exercise Log. After accessing the note in 10.9.10 it would look like: Exercise Log. The label would be there, but it was no longer a link. Links to URLs and internal note links were unaffected.

Has anyone else observed this behavior? 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, GordonS said:

It has been well documented in this forum and was raised way back in the preview and beta stages. We have no indication as to whether it is something that EN plan or do not plan to reinstate. If I was a betting man I would say that as it is a Windows specific issue it is unlikely to be reinstated anytime soon as the drive is to make the app as similar as possible on different operating systems.

The workaround will not help with current links and is probably not as convenient for most people. In Windows create a windows shortcut to the file or folder you want to link to. Then simply attach the shortcut to your note. Any attachments demand a line of their own so you will not be able to have the link inline. You can put the attachemt in a table which may help.

1319386620_ScreenShot03-14-21at11_46AM.PNG.7621c10c9c395de26b84981b8d3883b3.PNG

Thanks for the Windows shortcut example. I was using it previously but discovered how to make file links look and behave like URL and internal links. 

I don't believe this is a Windows issue as the file links work properly in the Legacy version of Evernote. After the links were converted to text only, I was able to reinstate them using the Legacy version.

My concern here is that version 10.9.10 is the first version 10 release to actually modify content in a note by deleting the file link information.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I don't believe this is a Windows issue as the file links work properly in the Legacy version of Evernote.

I only mean that it is Windows specific in that the format of the file link would presumably be different on a Mac for example. Therefore reinstating it would require different solutions for the different operating systems - something that EN seems to be keen to avoid where possible.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, Mike P said:

I only mean that it is Windows specific in that the format of the file link would presumably be different on a Mac for example. Therefore reinstating it would require different solutions for the different operating systems - something that EN seems to be keen to avoid where possible.

Or the link wouldn't work on a Mac as the file wouldn't exist.  Vice versa as well.  If the user knows how to create local file links they would get the how come for why.

Does/did the Mac version have native file links?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, CalS said:

Does/did the Mac version have native file links?

Yes, Evernote/Mac (Legacy) supports native file links   
We expect/hope support will be added to the Version 10 product

edit: Yes, the links were "hosed as well with 10.9 for Mac"

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, DTLow said:

Yes, Evernote/Mac (Legacy) supports native file links   
We expect/home support will be added to the Version 10 product

I guess the question would be did those links get hosed as well with 10.9 for Mac. 

Typically do no harm is a rule that is considered prior to change.  Wonder who the steward was on this one.

• Like 2
On 3/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, Mike P said:

It has been well documented in this forum and was raised way back in the preview and beta stages. We have no indication as to whether it is something that EN plan or do not plan to reinstate. If I was a betting man I would say that as it is a Windows specific issue it is unlikely to be reinstated anytime soon as the drive is to make the app as similar as possible on different operating systems.

The workaround will not help with current links and is probably not as convenient for most people. In Windows create a windows shortcut to the file or folder you want to link to. Then simply attach the shortcut to your note. Any attachments demand a line of their own so you will not be able to have the link inline. You can put the attachemt in a table which may help.

Creating a shortcut seems like quite a neat solution for new links (quite like the look and feel of them), at least its still possible to jump to computer content... as for existing local URL's... hummm I'm not going to worry about them, as I've not used them too much I think... but for sure I can imagine they are very important to some peoples workflow.  

image.png

On 3/16/2021 at 12:22 PM, GordonS said:

... My concern here is that version 10.9.10 is the first version 10 release to actually modify content in a note by deleting the file link information.

Huh, haven't been here for some time and THX for showing up this before I'm going to install 10.9.
Is it really true that this version removes the links from the note text?
So that they are gone forever if I re-open the note in Legacy?

If so, I'll lose my faith in Evernote 😢.

19 hours ago, AlbertR said:

So that they are gone forever if I re-open the note in Legacy?

Looks like it remains untouched in the Legacy ↓

image.png.fa6aff16dcc27373a2f689f265f97ec0.png

Same note in V10 ↓

image.png.72db23411ea2bb9c02d138c5bd109d0e.png

Links in legacy worked, no link in V10.

• Thanks 1

The behavior seems to have changed. I restored all the erased links in the note where they were removed. I had the same link in another note, and it was not impacted. I did not access that note from version 10.

I ran a test in Legacy where I duplicated a note and then moved the duplicate to a different notebook. I opened the test note in version 10 and in iOS. It did not lose the blue color but did not show as a link in iOS or version 10. I closed version ten and examined the test note in Legacy and the link was there and functional.

Like others who have commented here I wish there could be a file linking capability in version 10. I would be willing to embed multiple links unique to the two platforms I use (Windows & iOS).

• Thanks 1

Only as a reminder to our support and program management staff:

• It should be on user's choice to insert URLs that do not work in all cases.
  • If I (as a user) insert a File Link to my local file systen, I know that this will work only on my system.
  • If I klick on such a link on my mobile phone, it will fail - and this is completely OK!

Or do you really plan to verify all destination addresses future?

If you are consequent in your doings, you should disable these links also 😉. But I hope you will concentrate on really important things...

I just realized I cannot create the Windows folder or file links since the link option in V10 requires the HTTPS:

I guess that's why all my links went away. 

I definitely would like the option to create the internal links to files or folders, such a time saver. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, Mike P said:

The workaround will not help with current links and is probably not as convenient for most people. In Windows create a windows shortcut to the file or folder you want to link to. Then simply attach the shortcut to your note. Any attachments demand a line of their own so you will not be able to have the link inline. You can put the attachment in a table which may help.

This is a nice solution listed by MikeP. I have used it in concert with what I consider a "normal" file link in Legacy.  Behind the scenes in Legacy, I create link just below the illustration above that looks like this: file:///C:/Users/username/documents/example.docx. You can create a link highlighting any word, words or even a random group of characters.

Here's a sample. I type in the phrase "example Word document". Then I highlight that phrase, right click, click on Hyperlink, select Add and type in the path as shown in the prior paragraph and click OK. The note now has the following link: example Word document When I view the note in V10 it looks like: example Word document

At this point when I close V10 and open the note in Legacy it still is a link and looks like: example Word document

Hope this helps.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:10 AM, GordonS said:

I ran a test in Legacy where I duplicated a note and then moved the duplicate to a different notebook. I opened the test note in version 10 and in iOS. It did not lose the blue color but did not show as a link in iOS or version 10. I closed version ten and examined the test note in Legacy and the link was there and functional. ...

Sorry, this is only true if the note has not been modified in EN-10. If it is modified (anywhere else - not around the link!) and it is synced back to the cloud, the link is removed.

This is completely unacceptable because it secretly changes the content of my note.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Sorry, this is only true if the note has not been modified in EN-10. If it is modified (anywhere else - not around the link!) and it is synced back to the cloud, the link is removed.

This is completely unacceptable because it secretly changes the content of my note.

Thanks for the update. I see the same behavior on my system. Agreed, this is unacceptable!

iMac 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Evernote version: 10.10.5-mac-ddl-public (2487)
Editor: v120.1.15587
Servicio: v1.31.4
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. Todos los derechos reservados.

Links to files in my computer won't work anymore. They did in previous Evernote versions.

Kins work on Apple Notes, as well as Notion and other apps but not in Evernote anymore.

Please bring back that super useful function.

On 15/3/2021 at 16:23, GordonS dijo:

I've been bouncing back and forth between version 10 and Legacy. Just when I thought version 10 was stable enough to use it full time a major defect has come up.

I have links to files on my PC embedded in several notes. After upgrading to 10.9.10 all file links were lost. The link would be blue and look like: Exercise Log. After accessing the note in 10.9.10 it would look like: Exercise Log. The label would be there, but it was no longer a link. Links to URLs and internal note links were unaffected.

Yes. I have links to files on my iMac and they worked on previous Evernote versions.

I'd also like Evernote to bring back that super useful feature.

Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 2:34 PM, AlbertR said:

Only as a reminder to our support and program management staff:

• It should be on user's choice to insert URLs that do not work in all cases.
  • If I (as a user) insert a File Link to my local file systen, I know that this will work only on my system.
  • If I klick on such a link on my mobile phone, it will fail - and this is completely OK!

Or do you really plan to verify all destination addresses future?

If you are consequent in your doings, you should disable these links also 😉. But I hope you will concentrate on really important things...

Sorry for re-posting what I've written before some weeks - but @Austin G promised to investigate this for upcoming versions...

So: do we have a chance to get it back in near future? 

Since we got Tasks, many Legacy users are hot to jump - but surely not without some core features. This is one of them 😉

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone--version 10.20, just released today, should contain better link handling, which includes links to local files. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, gbarry said:

Hello everyone--version 10.20, just released today, should contain better link handling, which includes links to local files. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

Shame it doesn't recognise the link automatically. Having to explicitly create the link with ctrl-K is a bit of a pain but still a step in the right direction.

@gbarry

First: Thnx for adding this. It are these types of integrations which are very useful!

But: I open a link to a folder in the windows file manager. It opens the correct window (Hooray!) 
         I close the window (file manager)

Second time i try to open the link: It does open the file manager after 2 minutes.
         After clicking the link the second time, cpu usage is running constantly high 15 tot 25%
          CPU usage keeps at that level for a minute, even after the file manager window has opened
           #Betatesting anyone?

Whats going wrong?