Evernote Helper: "Capture Selection" doesn't work

Wow, I'm super upset to find that this feature is basically gone. This was one of the most useful features of Evernote. Now the screen grab tool takes you to Evernote as soon as you click it, and then when you toggle back to whatever you actually want to capture, it only lets you capture one frame, and immediately saves to Evernote, not the scratch pad?!? Totally useless broken workflow. For actual note-taking, Evernote seems to get less useful with every update. Sigh.

• Like 6

I just had the same issue. I have downgraded to Evernote Legacy app to get the old version and screen capture back working.  

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

How could this not have been tested correctly? 

Evernote fix this asap. If the apps rubbish it will get dumped. 

• Like 3

Click the Helper icon in the menu bar - the capture box opens as it should --> click the capture selection icon --> Evernote is brought to the front (which shouldn't happen) whatever I do I can't get rid of Evernote to capture the web page behind it. 

See video

Evernote - 10.9.10-mac-ddl-public (2439)
Editor: v119.1.15375
Service: v1.30.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Mac OS 10.14.6

Video demonstration here: https://www.loom.com/share/0ab0b60752ce4fbaa1a5a5ca2d1ff081

Chris

• Like 1

My screen capture works for me.  However, I only have 1 option : capture the entire screen.  I do not have the other two options:

•  a single application window
  •  a selected area of the screen

10.9.10-mac-mas-public (458488)

macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.2

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to Evernote Helper: "Capture Selection" doesn't work
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

We are aware of this issue, and are working to address it.

As a workaround, after clicking on Helper/Capture screen, just use Cmd-Tab to tab through the different open apps until you view the one you want, then hit Enter.

• Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, TonyLim said:

My screen capture works for me.  However, I only have 1 option : capture the entire screen.  I do not have the other two options:

•  a single application window
  •  a selected area of the screen

10.9.10-mac-mas-public (458488)

macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.2

@Shane D. please could you acknowledge that there are 2 issues here, one regarding the capture function bringing the Evernote to the foreground and @TonyLim's issue above, which I am also seeing - see attachment.

Thanks

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 13.07.34.png

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My opinion: @Shane D. is admin of this forum, not an EN spokesperson for this and that. We users should not misuse his presence here for our own goals.

If you want an official answer, AFAIK the way is to issue a support ticket.

Of course @PinkElephant, apologies @Shane D. no offence intended. I just wanted to clarify that there appeared to be 2 different issues with the helper as the posts had been merged.

• Like 1

I raised a support ticket.  The support ask me to remove the app.  Download from the website directly, instead from the App Store.  It solve my problem.

10.9.10-mac-ddl-public (2439)

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

there is a specific issue affecting Capture selection where the Evernote App is automatically brought to the forefront of the screen.

I'm having this issue.

10.16.7-mac-mas-public (458707)
Editor: v126.0.16239
Service: v1.37.3

macOS 11.4

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Can confirm the issue - no idea if anybody issued a support ticket yet.

But I want to add an observation: This happens only one time for me. When I use any of the screen capture tools for the first time after starting, it brings the EN window to the front. After this, it works.

In my usual configuration I don’t have a problem from this bug - EN is most of the time running on my secondary monitor.

What I grab is on my main monitor - in this setup there is no problem 

But a bug is a bug is a bug …

Workarounds:

Accept one bad screenshot per session, after which normal behavior sets in.

Or install legacy and the legacy helper. The legacy version of the helper can be started withdraw computer without starting the full app.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

same issue here. 

this has not been working for years and, like others, was one of the main reasons I started and stay with Evernote. After 10 years however I am VERY reluctantly thinking of moving to another platform only because of this issue.

here's an idea - instead of adding a whole lot of useless changes how about fixing a core function of the app so it works as advertised?????

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Screenshots were made on my Mac, both of the old "legacy" helper and the new v10 helper:

SCR-20211227-1en.jpeg.3cb588e25342b69e491bf4fb8006285e.jpeg

Legacy: 2 options, plus audio. Can be started without launching the legacy app, no account switcher.

SCR-20211227-1di.jpeg.6866f544d77ce1421ba7c25c4ddcbce4.jpeg

v10 Helper: 3 options (clip window is not in legacy), no audio. Starts with the app, allows to simply switch between accounts in the helper.

To me it seems they are slightly different, but both do the job. This was clipped using the new helper and the capture selection tool (Quality was reduced for posting it here).

1907175630_Screenshot__27__Dez___0_55_AM.jpeg.390738739e8e5f727298986567a0b2c4.jpeg

Conclusion: In general screen capture is working. A nuisance is that there is a small bug: When clicking the helper from the menu items, it will first not show, but bring the EN window to the front. On the second attempt it will then work.

To bring this to the attention of EN, you can issue a support ticket.

Just switched from Windows 10 Pro to a new computer running Windows 11 Pro.   The EN icon in the "show hidden icons" section of the task bar no longer gives me any options for screen clipping/capture  This is the number one feature I use with EN and now it's gone.  Is this intentional or a bug?

Using EN for Windows version 10.27.5-win-ddl-public (3122)

• Level 5

@jereitz Hmmm - this subforum is titled „Mac issues“. 

If you came here from Windows 11 in search for a friendly, working operating system, welcome 😉

Posts for troubleshooting on Win11 should better be posted in the Windows subforum.

No idea about it, and from what I read Win11 is looking a lot like a beta that accidentally made it into public release.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5

Same advise: It is not the software, it is your own action that is needed:

1) Make sure it has all permissions in MacOS settings.

2) If this does not solve the problem, and you are on the AppStore version, uninstall it, and install directly from the EN website.

This is how it should look if you solve the local problem you obviously have (Screenshot from my Mac, Monterey 12.4, EN Mac direct 10.38.3):

1074253608_Bildschirmfoto2022-06-11um20_02_04.thumb.png.605bb67f8d4dc0dffba93554a5daf61c.png