[Bug] 'Portrait' orientation photo included in note appears 'landscape' (90 degrees anti-clockwise)

I imported a 'portrait' orientation photo into a note. The photo was taken on my iPhone directly in Whatsapp then it got automatically saved in my photo stream. It appeared fine in the note itself. (I also resized it, but I don't think that's relevant.)

With the 'Note list view' set to 'Snippet's and 'Note preview' set to show images, the image displayed in the list view is shown the wrong way round. It's rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise.

Doesn't seem to happen with photos that other people have taken that Whatsapp has saved.

Mac version 10.9.10 on a MacBook Air (latest generation). Screenshot included.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 17.55.09.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Images from mobile devices sometimes include incomplete or incorrect orientation information in the file.  The easy fix is to 'correct' the image in external software - open and re-save the file to see if that fixes the issue... rotate an extra 90 deg if you need to. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MirandaP said:

Yes thanks, I'm pretty sure that would fix it, but that's not my point. My point is that it's a bug; the photo is correct in the note itself, just wrong in the list view.

Ah - sorry; missed that point.  Still,  it's more likely to be the image file than a bug in the software.  There were more than 250,000 hits for 'why does my photo display sideways' in Google,  so it's not an isolated case in any software.  You could report this to support and send them the image file to investigate further...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• 6 months later...

I came here with the same issue. My portrait-oriented photo shows sideways in the list of notes, but correctly within the note itself. I had sent the photo directly from my phone to Evernote. So instead, I emailed it to myself and saved the photo on my laptop, then inserted the image from there. Still shows sideways in the list of notes. I guess the list is formatted to only show landscape photos. Irritating.