IOS Share Extension/WebClipper Doesn't Always Load

The latest iPad Evernote update has removed Evernote from the list of apps you can share to. Rendering Evernote a dead duck for me.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Still missing.

It’s not hidden in the list of extras you can add from btw.

why?

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees

@Mozzer181920Thanks for mentioning this. Strange, I noticed the same on my iPad today for a bit. I restarted my iPad and then I saw Evernote as a share source again.
Does the same happen for you? If not, by chance were you ever part of the Evernote beta program and do you/did you have the app 'Test Flight' installed on your iPad?

• Level 5

It was not meant to be rude. 

If you search the forum before posting things that „do not work“, you find posts on this (some from me, trying to help others out).

This I would expect before posting „it does not work“, and then expect others to use part of their time to answer the same question again that has been answered already.

Or contact support, they are paid to answer the same stuff over and again (and probably have better tools to do so).

And yes, apart from sharing that works (at least for some), v10 still sucks ...

I had searched in the iOS V10 thread and couldn't find it being posted. With advertised delays in support tickets I assumed posting to see what others were experiencing was a faster route to an answer.

As it happens I've accidentally solved it. 

I had Google's Inbox installed and iOS wouldn't show Gmail I'm sharing. I deleted Inbox, Gmail appeared...and so did Evernote. 

Looks like an iOS bug...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

I’ve had this issue intermittently in iOS 14. Previously was a matter of just force closing and restarting Safari. Today was across all apps. Rebooted the iPhone and it works fine. This suggests to me that Evernote maybe periodically crashing or hanging. May not be app specific as in closing app fixes.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Having suffered this problem for many weeks myself, I came here looking for answers and it’s now 3 examples I’ve seen mention this - it’s definitely a legitimate issue that ruins the usefulness of EN to capture useful web notes you want to preserve - particularly if you have to restart your phone every few days so that EN will continue to appear in the share list ?

it may be an ios14.3-4 issue or an EN one, but either way I think EN should be trying to work with Apple to get it fixed.

More and more I’m eying Notion and thinking it’s time to move as I’m getting sick of my most expensive app being so finicky and undersupported.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The share button is there, if the installation is o.k.

Maybe one need to activate it, iOS standard: When in Safari, click on share. Now in the row with apps, move to the right until the end of the apps. There are 3 dots called „more“. Behind it are additional sharing options, waiting to be activated. When EN is not in the list of apps already, it should be here. Activate it by editing the options, move it to the position in the app sequence where you want it, done. It is a one timer.

If it is not in the list of apps, and not behind the 3 dots button, it is not available. Then you need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the webclipper on iOS iPad Safari doesn't appear in the share menu and you can't add it via the 'edit actions'. Restarting iPad brought icon back into share menu. 
Also when saving PDFs from Safari, dialog box pops up as normal but doesn't save the PDF - comes up in Evernote as 'shared content' with a small non-specific file which has a size of 103 B. 

• Like 2

I've also experienced this more than once on the iPhone (needing to restart to get the share option to reappear). And, I've had clients report it to me as well. I mentioned it somewhere else in the forum, and hope that it is being addressed!

Impossible to have the Webclipper. I downloaded it few weeks ago and it worked perfectly, but suddenly it stopped. I have restart my computer nothing. I have re-downloaded it several times, but nothing happens. The icon is still there, in the URL bar, but is inactive.

Hope you can help. Thanks.  

• Level 5

To everybody talking about a web clipper for iOS : There is NO web clipper for iOS, by any meaning of the word. WebClipper is a browser extension that only lives on the desktop browsers, with advanced clipping options.

On iOS there is the option to share a web site to EN, by the share menu.

If EN is not listed when you click „share“ from Safari, first check the 3-dots icon at the Right end of the share icons. Sometimes it is in there, and just needs to be activated.

If not, switching the iPhone (iPad) completely off and on again is said to help.

For a more advanced clipping option (similar to the simplified clipping in web clipper) there is an iOS shortcut „Share web Page with EN“. Initially it did not work with v10, but it is back.

• Like 4

I use a mini 5 Ipad and whenever I try to send a webpage from Safari to EN via the share\copy\send button of the browser, EN seems to get stuck and a message appears when I open the app saying that the page is being imported, but even hours after it still does not appear among the notes. It is completely useless.

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that restarting my iPhone resolved the issue for me. It also looks like restarting brought back several other apps as options in the Share To sheet that I didn't notice were missing earlier.

Does the restart force iOS to refresh its suggested apps?

iOS 14.4.2 and EverNote 10.7.1.

Evernote is not always an export choice for exporting a web page from Safari. These are usually web pages that require a login, but there are other ways to export the web page content such as to Apple Books or Apple Notes or to a Printer or some other third party apps. Why can't I export such pages to Evernote and Is there a good workaround? 

• Shane D. changed the title to IOS Webclipper Share Menu Doesn't Always Load
55 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All, 

This is an issue that we're aware of, and are working to address.

Recent update we've released will hopefully improve the behavior for the time being.

I'll provide an update here once I have more information.

As a workaround, restarting your iOS device may temporarily fix the issue.

This may be a bigger issue than the clipper for EN. Multiple times this week I have gone to share something to different applications and they haven't been there in the clipper. Apple Notes, Goodnotes, Instapaper all have disappeared and reappeared with no rhyme or reason.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Sounds more like a general issue with iOS than with EN or any other specific app.

Personally I have not noticed it in this way. What I Have noticed is that sometimes the menu items in the share window are reduced . I have interpreted this that sometimes a function may not be available, and instead of graying it out they take it off the menu dynamically. If the same is true for the app icon row it would explain why apps disappear and reappear without any obvious logic. Maybe the dynamic function is assuming wrong app-to-app interactions.

I am now on iOS 14.5 and will check in the next days whether it stays dynamic when sharing.

• 2 months later...

Same problem.

Deleted app reinstalled not there. iPhone 12pro max. Everything updated to the latest version of iOS. 

I’ve been a paid subscriber to Evernote for year and it’s these simple things I want to work. 
I don’t need Tasks. 
I already have a Task Manager. 
Please Evernote, just fix the basics. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve found that if you use Firefox it reliably shows Evernote as a share option - even when safari doesn’t. so there is something about the way they enable it… but yeah, they don’t really seem to care and I agree, more paid for features they want when they can’t get the basics to work… this is a reminder that I need to find a replacement.

• Level 5

Putting the emotional part aside - you mean Firefox (Klar) on iOS, correct ?

With Safari I sometimes loose options from the share menu. I had for example yesterday no print option on some websites, sometimes other apps are missing. I don’t think this is really an EN thing (they have enough to improve, no whitewashing).

As I said above, usually restarting the iPhone helps. This should be done from time to time  anyhow. It resets iOS and cleans out the devices memory.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

From other threads: Switch your iPhone completely off, and switch it on again. The Apple logo must show.

This caused in the other cases the EN share to reappear.

Yeah did that. Still not there. 

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Putting the emotional part aside - you mean Firefox (Klar) on iOS, correct ?

With Safari I sometimes loose options from the share menu. I had for example yesterday no print option on some websites, sometimes other apps are missing. I don’t think this is really an EN thing (they have enough to improve, no whitewashing).

As I said above, usually restarting the iPhone helps. This should be done from time to time  anyhow. It resets iOS and cleans out the devices memory.

Yes - whenever I have problems using the share feature from safari - I’ve noticed that launching the Firefox app and using its share feature will show me Evernote (I’ve created a shortcut to now launch Firefox with the current url so that I can then use Evernote share). So there is a clue in that I would say.

I reported this to the Evernote team many months ago when they asked about that share issue - ignored it and not followed up on is my guess… so I seethe with anger that my most expensive app/subscription barely works half the time (it only took them 6 years to improve search - which was a disaster but now seems to at least find stuff more accurately).

so yes - excuse the emotion, but I think it’s well deserved. It’s only the inertia it takes to export all my notes to something more reliable that holds me back. That I have to pay more to move the quick notes feature that I didn’t even want is yet another push…

• Level 5

Well, whoever knows. Usually turning the iOS device completely off does the job to bring it back. I had sharing problems with Safari and EN only occasionally, mostly after an update.

As an alternative there is an iOS shortcut as well that clips a page into EN. You can find it in the shortcuts app, gallery, search for Evernote. It needs authorization to clip to your account. It sometimes produces better results than the sharing function.

It installs right into the share menu, and if you like it you can move it up to the top options.

A third method is to „print“ a page to a pdf, and share this. All links will be inactive, but it preserves the information solidly. Works best with the website in reader mode. I usually copy the URL before I do it, and paste it to the note after it was created.

Turning you phone off and on is not really a solution though is it? That’s a lazy workaround - when i have an interesting note that I want save - the ethos of Evernote is supposed to be that I can quickly do that reliably… by the time I’ve faffed around with different share options and then rebooted my phone and relogged into stuff , I’ve forgotten what I'm doing …

I don’t understand why this issue isn’t taken seriously?

it’s like search - that was horrific for way too long… many false positives and random results (it’s still a bit ropey even now for a company that is supposed to be into knowledge management)… so should  we expect a 4-6 year lead time on getting this simple feature fixed?

I think Evernote should properly listen to its customers. And yes, I should vote with my feet - but that’s of course why they lock you in to all the data you’ve already stored. I’d really just like EN fixed , along with all the other things that stop basic note capture and search - and then have that plan on the side where they don’t mess with it.

He kind of has a point. 
Forget all the bells and whistles no-one has asked for (Tasks I’m looking at you. Ps. Now when I click ”+” to start a new note on desktop I have to click a 2nd time to say no I don’t want a task I want to add a note!!  How is this progress?) and get your core product working with out workarounds. 

• Level 5

Switching your iPhone off from time to time is simply good practice. It resets many things internally, as the RAM memory. It is not a workaround to be applied every time you can’t find the sharing. As I said I have done it maybe 2 or 3 times in total when typically after an update of the EN client the sharing was missing. When it was back, it stayed.

But there are websites that somehow reduce the number of options in the share menu - independently from the applications. It is reproducable: You go there, sharing is reduced, you go to another, sharing is back to normal.

The different sharing options don’t do the same thing - they produce different results. I use each, depending on what I want to get.

The v10 clients are new, so any problem with search needs to be treated with a grain of salt when comparing with more of a year ago. The most frequent reason for bogey search results in the old desktop clients was a corrupted local database. That should be fixed before comparing search results.

My last comparison of search, done on Legacy, v10 desktop, v10 iOS and v10 iOS offline produced exactly the same number of hits in my samples. If it misses something, it does so independently from the client used - and I have no indication it did miss anything in my probing. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, toomanybarts said:

He kind of has a point. 
Forget all the bells and whistles no-one has asked for (Tasks I’m looking at you. Ps. Now when I click ”+” to start a new note on desktop I have to click a 2nd time to say no I don’t want a task I want to add a note!!  How is this progress?) and get your core product working with out workarounds. 

It is sort of strange when users complain about features they get. Every software has features that they individually won’t use - the users as a group benefit. I think Tasks is seen positive by the majority of users.

New Note: Use ctrl/cmd N to quickly create a new note - no double clicks …

On iOS you now can configure the new note button to your liking - oh, yes, I forgot, another of these features you never asked for.

It’s called user feedback. EN might not like it when a paying customer “complains” about a feature EN Dev teams have spent time developing and testing vs fixing the core functionality of an app they are and have been paying for for years. 
Thanks for the keyboard “workaround” on new note on desktop - doesn’t change the fact that I now have to change how I work to fit in with this new unasked for functionality. 

Yes - I have a different note and task options that I use - for me evernote is/was great at web clipping and helping me organize the scraps of paper and bookmarks I had. So I don't want notes and tasks rammed down my throat...  I'm particularly annoyed that I now have to look at a yellow scratch pad on my home screen - and to get rid of it I have to pay more money over the money I'm already paying (I get if your on free, then fine - but I paid for a basic plan to store clippings and now I get notes if I want them or not? Worse - I used to have an easy way to save stuff via the Share button - but that hasn't worked reliably for a year now - and the best they've got is reboot my phone?

But we are going around on circles with this - lets leave it at this - I hope they can fix Share properly - and possibly keep improving search.

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to IOS Share Extension/WebClipper Doesn't Always Load
  • Federico Simionato unpinned this topic