Evernote for iOS version 10.6 Release notes

• Level 5

Hi All,

We've now released Evernote for iOS version 10.6!

New:

• One of your most-requested features is here: Now you can edit tables on your phone or tablet!
  • We tidied up the navigation menu to make it easier for you to get around. All Notes is now called Notes, and we rearranged the list items so you can find what you need faster.
  • Evernote Business customers: Don’t want to see every single notebook in a space? No problem! You can now turn that off (or back on again) in Settings > Notebooks.

Fixed:

• Fixed an issue where image is sometimes lost when adding from split note button
  • Fixed an issue where menu items were cut off when 'larger text' was enabled in Settings
  • The app would occasionally crash when you tried to print something. Now there’s nothing stopping you.
  • Selecting “Larger text” in your phone’s Accessibility settings meant that some Evernote menu items would be cut off. That defeated the whole purpose of using larger text, so we fixed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Now you can edit tables on your phone or tablet!

Thanks for the update and editing tables

Has anyone figured out how to

• edit column widths
  • select cells to merge; I can only select a row or column
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

My test status:

Column width is not editable 

Row heights can be set only indirect, by adding content (line feed)

Merging works by row or column, at least I did not find another way. With a little strategic planning, it can be modified: New rows or columns at the end are added without being in the merged area.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 2:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

My test status:

Column width is not editable 

Row heights can be set only indirect, by adding content (line feed)

Merging works by row or column, at least I did not find another way. With a little strategic planning, it can be modified: New rows or columns at the end are added without being in the merged area.

It will be enlightening to see if Evernote fleshes out this beginning step of in-note table editing, allowing column width adjustment, row height, etc.

• Level 5

It is already more than there has ever been on the iOS client, tablewise.

When on the fly I can live with the current abilities of adding a table, shaping it in terms of size and other features, and putting content into it.

The guys who replace a notebook by an iPad will probably (and rightful) demand more.

Hmm... Hasn't Evernote's CEO promised that because of the switch to the new framework (Electron) all apps on all platforms will get all the same features..? 🙈

Wait... So now we lost native apps, performance is poor, reliability is a joke, and there is less functionality too, but for what..? 😜

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Personally I don’t care if an app is „native“, it needs to work. EN iOS on newer hardware is ok, slow on older one, no reliability issues since 10.5, features list is growing, now the first features are added to the new app that never existed on the old one.

In general, IMHO the iOS app is doing fine, v10 on desktop still needs a way to go before I can shed legacy.

Currently it is probably the Android app that gives the most headache.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Currently it is probably the Android app that gives the most headache.

To say ist with Bronski Beat: It ain't necessarily so...:

I personally hesitated to update my android-phone and switched off auto-update to avoid unwanted surprises.
But I forgot to do the same with the LG thinq 7 of my wife. So this device has been updated to the latest v10-android version.

Although I feared the worst, I was somewhat relieved when I opened the app. At least on this (not low-end) smartphone android-v10 ist working rather fast and reliable, with nearly 10k notes .
(Even though there are missing a couple of functions and features of the former feature rich pre-v10-version this installation is definetly usable, at least on  this device)

• Like 2

Evernote syncing has been having issues for the past couple of months (ever since the big user-noticeable changes were launched.) I typically update the same note on my Mac and on my iPhone. I have been doing this for years (evernote premium since 2011) and never ever had an issue.

Then in the past couple of months, I kept getting 2 versions of the same note.  When I dug deeper, I saw what was happening. I update the note on my iPhone. Then I move on to doing something else. The evernote app on the phone does not sync immediately (this was never the case before). Even hours later, when I go to my Mac and update the same note, the version on the phone did not sync, therefore now I have 2 versions of the same note.

This is VERY frustrating.  What used to be a very simple and reliable user experience turned into a nightmare!  I can't rely on my notes anymore.  Please fix this issue!  I don't care if you take back all the bells & whistles you've implemented recently.  Really!  If the basic syncing is not reliable, the app is not useable. Give me the old evernote back!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

My iOS apps are syncing

1. when I change a note, always, within a few seconds of quitting edit status or leaving a note. With the old clients we had a lot of posts here in the forum about data loss when leaving the app while a note stayed open after editing. Has not happened to me with v10, seems to be improved. 
  2. You can force a sync by pulling the left side panel down with a finger a little, and let it go. A sync wheel will show above the notes list and spin until the syncing is done.
  3. On top of that you can initiate a sync by opening EN iOS settings, menu sync, behind which currently there is only a „sync now“ option.

So there are 3 ways to sync the EN iOS client which should be enough for even the most hardcore syncer among us users. If this is not working reliably, I would wait until it seems not to sync after an operation that should start it, and then issue a support ticket with an activity log.

On the Mac it is more difficult to force a sync now. No sync button, no hidden sync option. Two possibilities is to open a note and modify it a little (like adding a space or new line), or cut and reestablish the internet connection. I have not had issues yet, but miss the manual sync option.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:59 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We've now released Evernote for iOS version 10.6!

New:

• One of your most-requested features is here: Now you can edit tables on your phone or tablet!
  • We tidied up the navigation menu to make it easier for you to get around. All Notes is now called Notes, and we rearranged the list items so you can find what you need faster.
  • Evernote Business customers: Don’t want to see every single notebook in a space? No problem! You can now turn that off (or back on again) in Settings > Notebooks.

Fixed:

• Fixed an issue where image is sometimes lost when adding from split note button
  • Fixed an issue where menu items were cut off when 'larger text' was enabled in Settings
  • The app would occasionally crash when you tried to print something. Now there’s nothing stopping you.
  • Selecting “Larger text” in your phone’s Accessibility settings meant that some Evernote menu items would be cut off. That defeated the whole purpose of using larger text, so we fixed it.

I just want to know how could I suppose reinstall/updates Evernote iPad version when the App store tell me like that!!!!!!!!!!!

ED21BAD6-ECE6-41BF-AA1A-033E4B119377.png

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If you manage to load EN iOS on to a Samsung Galaxy, you have earned a new phone 🙄

I have no idea how to do that .  I thought iOS and Android were incompatible.  Can you tell me more or provide a link so I can understand what you mean?  

• Level 5

This is exactly what I mean - you posted in the iOS 10 forum about Android trouble.

iOS users are ahead of you Android folks - we got upgraded last September (most without knowing it), and had some bad surprises. It works ok since 10.5 ...

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This is exactly what I mean - you posted in the iOS 10 forum about Android trouble.

iOS users are of you Android folks - we got upgraded last September (most without knowing it), and had some bad surprises. It works ok since 10.5 ...

Oh, please excuse silly me.  I clicked on the top banner which funneled me to this page, and began posting, mistakenly thinking I was in the right place.  Good for you, and all who have iOS phones, or the most current Androids.       image.png.095e64c13a19ac31213f94841c2aca3d.png

• Like 1

I just retested this version. 

1. Reliability seems to have improved.

2. Apple Pencil support has improved from absolutely useless, to marginally useful.

3. The addition of Table support is enormously useful.

4. Scanning has improved.

5. PDF annotation still lacks zoom capability, but Pencil support is at least somewhat better. 

6. Inexplicably for a note taking app, there is still no shortcut that allows resorting of outlines, bullets or numbered lists. 

I am still trying to figure out who the target audience is.  

For those of us who used Evernote as a place to store content produced elsewhere, speed and reliability were the keys— those are still diminished from the old versions which were rock solid and reliable in years of using them.

For those who want  a state-of-the-art note taking app, Evernote iOS lacks a variety of key features of other apps:

1. Real Pencil-kit pencil integration. 

2. Excellent annotation

3. Powerful outlining. (Toggle outlines, keyboard shortcuts, etc. a la Craft, Notion, OneNote, Bear, Apple Notes)

4. Database features (a la Notion)

I’m still hoping for major progress on both fronts.  At this point, Evernote has state-of-the art search and a great web clipper— but they had those before this grand “experiment” began.  They are starting to finally make some improvements— but then the first versions of Evernote for iOS v10 were fundamentally unusable and caused me to more my workflow elsewhere.   It’s getting closer to a decent experience, but all Evernote “customers” are still Beta users at this point.   Just try making a note in Craft, Notion, Bear, Apple Notes or even Evernote— you will be amazed at how much better the “note creation” environment is.  Evernote has made some minor aesthetic progress while some of the alternatives have taken gigantic leaps. Just try Craft on the iPhone or iPad and you’ll see what I mean. 

Unfortunately, while Apple keeps rolling out new capabilities on its platforms (E.g., updated PencilKit), because Evernote has chosen to go the Electron route, they have to reinvent the wheel rather than leveraging capabilities that Apple has already created for “native” iOS apps.  Unless Evernote think that they can outcode Apple’s huge teams of developers, this is bound to mean that Evernote gets further behind rather than catching up. 

• Like 3
On 3/17/2021 at 10:36 PM, PinkElephant said:

My iOS apps are syncing

1. when I change a note, always, within a few seconds of quitting edit status or leaving a note. With the old clients we had a lot of posts here in the forum about data loss when leaving the app while a note stayed open after editing. Has not happened to me with v10, seems to be improved. 
  2. You can force a sync by pulling the left side panel down with a finger a little, and let it go. A sync wheel will show above the notes list and spin until the syncing is done.
  3. On top of that you can initiate a sync by opening EN iOS settings, menu sync, behind which currently there is only a „sync now“ option.

So there are 3 ways to sync the EN iOS client which should be enough for even the most hardcore syncer among us users. If this is not working reliably, I would wait until it seems not to sync after an operation that should start it, and then issue a support ticket with an activity log.

On the Mac it is more difficult to force a sync now. No sync button, no hidden sync option. Two possibilities is to open a note and modify it a little (like adding a space or new line), or cut and reestablish the internet connection. I have not had issues yet, but miss the manual sync option.

I don't have a left side panel on the app. I have a list of notes on the Notes page. Or I am inside a note, and again no left side panel. Yes, I can go to the "sync now" option (as you suggest in 3), but that's multiple clicks more.  In the past, I simply changed a note in the app and it synced on the spot. No longer the case with the recent updates. 

• Level 5

To explain what you see (iPad). On the iPhone the main side panel with the notes is the default view when you open the app. EN does sync itself permanently - just when you want to make sure everything has synced before for example switching the app, it is a little pull on the side panel. Or sync through the menu, which is some more steps.

03A7E90E-670F-4977-9E87-AC09C73FF958.thumb.jpeg.3572b0d3aba4e60a8391c2d6e9896ef6.jpeg

• Shane D. unfeatured and unpinned this topic