Evernote for Android version 10.6 Release notes

• Level 5

Hi All,

We've now released Evernote for Android version 10.6!

New:

• One of your most-requested features is here: Now you can edit tables on your phone or tablet!
  • We tidied up the navigation menu to make it easier for you to get around. All Notes is now called Notes, and we rearranged the list items so you can find what you need faster.
  • Evernote Business customers: Don’t want to see every single notebook in a space? No problem! You can now turn that off (or back on again) in Settings > Notebooks.

Fixed:

• In-app web links now open in an external browser
  • Fixed an issue where the bottom bar would occasionally disappear
  • Like 4

I would give it a test too, if it would be available in play store. But I am a bit sceptical since the fixed bug list is way too short in regards to all major problems with 10.5.1. Comparing to iOS version development and the huge bug fixing list development still seems mainly focussed on iOS eco system. But lets see in 10.6, fingers crossed they got the cord cut and speed has turned up facing usability.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

What's the roll out plan? I'm in the beta Google Play channel but 10.5.1 is still the latest version available for me. (Running stock Android 11). 

My experience is that it takes around a week for new versions to reach my phone.  Of course there are many others still stuck on version 8.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

My experience is that it takes around a week for new versions to reach my phone.  Of course there are many others still stuck on version 8.

It's pretty disappointing that not even beta channel users get the app on release day, let alone before release day, as it should be.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
9 minutes ago, N. Lum said:

I am disappointed that the features are still NOT updated for Android version 9, only for Android version 10 and above.  When will it get rolled out for Android version 9?

There is no answer. Not even all users with Android 10/11 have the new version yet.

21 hours ago, Paul A. said:

It's pretty disappointing that not even beta channel users get the app on release day, let alone before release day, as it should be.

I'm happy to report, that apparently this time it's different. I just installed Evernote Android beta - v10.7 (1111620). Nice to see them testing new versions before stable release.
Now I got to check out if months old bugs are ironed out. :D

• Like 2
1 hour ago, matej1990 said:

I'm happy to report, that apparently this time it's different. I just installed Evernote Android beta - v10.7 (1111620). Nice to se them testing new versions before stable release.
Now I got to check out if months old bugs are ironed out. :D

That's awesome! Still not available for me, but hopefully soon. Looking forward to your reports on whether some of the extremely aggravating long-term bugs have been fixed.

Updated to the new Android 10.6 version. App does start and shows the introducing home screen but after hitting "Get started"  and "tap the arrow to see all your notes" the app totally freezes / became unresponsive. No function works whatsoever. Had to roll back to the previous 10.5.1 version which was running fine. I have a Oneplus 6 (OP6) running on android 10

1 hour ago, Rob de Vries said:

Updated to the new Android 10.6 version. App does start and shows the introducing home screen but after hitting "Get started"  and "tap the arrow to see all your notes" the app totally freezes / became unresponsive. No function works whatsoever. Had to roll back to the previous 10.5.1 version which was running fine. I have a Oneplus 6 (OP6) running on android 10

I had a similar problem with the 10.7 beta. My solution was:

1 add a widget

2 click on the 'add new note' button on the widget -> evernote started and immediately crashed

3 click on the 'add new note' button on the widget again -> evernote started normally and has been running fine ever since.

Maybe this work around will work for you too.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

1 add a widget

2 click on the 'add new note' button on the widget -> evernote started and immediately crashed

3 click on the 'add new note' button on the widget again -> evernote started normally and has been running fine ever since.

Super weird but it worked !!

When you create a new note via the widget the first time the app indeed freezes again but the second time everything works fine 🤔.

Thanks !

On 3/11/2021 at 5:32 AM, ehrt74 said:

I think it's very cool to see the rate of improvements and new features :)

Are you a Bot or EN employee ? I'd have thought getting the existing features into the rewrite was more important than adding new features. EN is getting less and less productive so unless V10 improves significantly I'll be moving my business to something else.

56 minutes ago, David Navigator said:

Are you a Bot or EN employee ? I'd have thought getting the existing features into the rewrite was more important than adding new features. EN is getting less and less productive so unless V10 improves significantly I'll be moving my business to something else.

The android version and the web version are already so much better than the old apps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a lot of us Evernote 10.5.1 was (is) not even usable since the performance break down and all the reported major issues. If this is not addressed in a proper way with 10.6 I have to agree with @David Navigatorthat the main focus should be getting the app to a productive software again. Most of us - on this forum at least - need it as an everyday working tool - so speed and overall usability on the Android system should come first. I would much appreciate if Evernote eventually kicked in and did a bit more caring for the android eco system at last.

Since even the updates are staged roll outs I could do no hands on. Can anyone confirm or share that with 10.6 performance increased and the regular bugs (each app start lasts a life time, notes not saving, images not shown, offline notebooks download for ever and so on) have been squeezed? That woud be great! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

The android version and the web version are already so much better than the old apps.

But the desktop version is much worse and is missing critical features that lower productivity. As a paying customer I don't expect apps to go backwards.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David Navigator said:

But the desktop version is much worse and is missing critical features that lower productivity. As a paying customer I don't expect apps to go backwards.

On the desktop you can use the legacy version until v. 10 has the features you need. The app is not going backwards, it's just staying the same until you move to v.10.

1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

I'm surprised to me that anyone could think this of the Android version. It has some more features, yes, but the known and reproducible and long ago reported bugs that I encounter every day make it a nightmare to use.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

On the desktop you can use the legacy version until v. 10 has the features you need. The app is not going backwards, it's just staying the same until you move to v.10.

If I also want to use the Android app, then I need to split my business & personal accounts in two ( something I don't have a problem with) but there's no way to easily switch between which account I'm using (something I do 100's of times a day). I believe I have to log out and then log back in again using the other credentials. This is a show stopper for me from a productivity POV.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, David Navigator said:

If I also want to use the Android app, then I need to split my business & personal accounts in two ( something I don't have a problem with) but there's no way to easily switch between which account I'm using (something I do 100's of times a day). I believe I have to log out and then log back in again using the other credentials. This is a show stopper for me from a productivity POV.

I think you can add multiple accounts to the android evernote client, though i've never tried it. the option is definitely there.

18 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I'm surprised to me that anyone could think this of the Android version. It has some more features, yes, but the known and reproducible and long ago reported bugs that I encounter every day make it a nightmare to use.

That is why I mostly use Android version only for viewing and not creating content in Evernote. Even small basic note editing is really a nightmare, because of the bugs. Well at least it looks nice.  😅
Windows version is my primary Evernote content creating platform. It' much, MUCH more mature version compared to the Android one for my needs.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, J DAVIS said:

old layout much better have to hunt for camera now just want to name note then take picture and add text

would like to replace share note and tag with camera on note screen

On 3/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, ehrt74 said:

Definitely a bot 😂😂😂

On 3/14/2021 at 1:57 PM, ehrt74 said:

I eventually got 10.6 and did again try to use the new software on two Android 10 devices. I got again the major bugs which I experienced since 10 was introduced: extremly slow startup (as if every time fresh install procedure) and performance, offline not working completely. Still major bug: images often not displayed (error message instead). Audio records are muted (silence) when screen is off... and so on...I opened again support tickets on every error I found. Since I have to rely on the images being displayed when I need my notes, I again had to roll back all my devices to 8.13.3. It's a real pitty they do not figure out the probs.

And yes: even the new functions are not working correctly: sometimes the note-widget on homescreen simply opens the "all notes" view but not the intended note.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Already issued support tickets on what fails you ?

Here we can give you emotional assistance and maybe a workaround, but bug fixes are triggered through feeding support.

That's what I did, as being sad above. Fortunately they implemented a bug report functionality which makes it easy to report bugs.

• Thanks 1

I have a Google Pixel 3a running Android 11 security update March 5, 2021.  Evernote 10.6 auto-updated onto my Pixel 3a and broke ability to create and save a new note.  So I now have a read-only note-taking app.   When creating a new note, the save checkmark upper-left is always grey.  I'm experiencing same slowness reported by others on Evernote 10.  REALLY slow.  But a read-only note-taking app on my mobile device (where I do most of my business...mobile), is useless.  Anyone know of any fixes/workarounds to get 10.6 working on a Google Pixel phone running latest Android?  I've already tried uninstall/reinstall of Evernote and clearing of Cache+Data.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Andy

Screenshot_20210317-112830.png

On 10.03.2021 at 19:54, Shane D. said:

Herkese selam,

Şimdi Evernote Android 10.6 sürümünü çıkardık!

Yeni:

• En çok talep ettiğiniz özelliklerden biri burada: Artık telefonunuzda veya tabletinizde tabloları düzenleyebilirsiniz!
  • Dolaşmanızı kolaylaştırmak için gezinme menüsünü düzenledik. Tüm Notlar artık Notlar olarak adlandırılıyor ve ihtiyacınız olanı daha hızlı bulabilmeniz için liste öğelerini yeniden düzenledik.
  • Evernote Business müşterileri: Bir alanda her bir not defterini görmek istemiyor musunuz? Sorun değil! Artık bunu Ayarlar> Not Defterleri'nden kapatabilir (veya tekrar açabilirsiniz).

Sabit:

• Uygulama içi web bağlantıları artık harici bir tarayıcıda açılıyor
  • Alt çubuğun ara sıra kaybolmasına neden olan bir sorun düzeltildi

Yeni özellikler İSTEMİYORUZ !!!!!!   3 aydan beri uygulama doğru düzgün çalışmıyor. Eklerde ''  düzgün işlenemedi '' hatası alıyorum. şimdide pdf dosyalarına tıkladığımda uygulama donuyor kilitleniyor. Uygulamayı silip tekrar yüklemekten, ekleri silip tekrar yüklemekten sıkıldım. Çözüm bulunmayacaksa başımın çaresine bakayım. Mağdur oluyorum. 1 aydır forumda yazdığımda hiçbir soruna geri cevap alamadım.. !!!!!!!

Please bring back camera zoom in, and quick shortcut to camera, I have a poor eye sight, removing the zoom in on camera is not of any use to me, also putting it on sub menu to access the camera make me slow (2 tap away) I am constantly using cameras and zooming in

On 3/15/2021 at 1:08 AM, Alxa said:

For a lot of us Evernote 10.5.1 was (is) not even usable since the performance break down and all the reported major issues. If this is not addressed in a proper way with 10.6 I have to agree with @David Navigatorthat the main focus should be getting the app to a productive software again. Most of us - on this forum at least - need it as an everyday working tool - so speed and overall usability on the Android system should come first. I would much appreciate if Evernote eventually kicked in and did a bit more caring for the android eco system at last.

Since even the updates are staged roll outs I could do no hands on. Can anyone confirm or share that with 10.6 performance increased and the regular bugs (each app start lasts a life time, notes not saving, images not shown, offline notebooks download for ever and so on) have been squeezed? That woud be great! 

Nope. Still not working on my Realme 6 Android phone running V10.  Evernote is now 10.6. Rediculous

On 3/18/2021 at 2:31 AM, Andy Fra said:

I have a Google Pixel 3a running Android 11 security update March 5, 2021.  Evernote 10.6 auto-updated onto my Pixel 3a and broke ability to create and save a new note.  So I now have a read-only note-taking app.   When creating a new note, the save checkmark upper-left is always grey.  I'm experiencing same slowness reported by others on Evernote 10.  REALLY slow.  But a read-only note-taking app on my mobile device (where I do most of my business...mobile), is useless.  Anyone know of any fixes/workarounds to get 10.6 working on a Google Pixel phone running latest Android?  I've already tried uninstall/reinstall of Evernote and clearing of Cache+Data.

-Andy

Same issue for me on my Realme 6 running Andriod 10 and Evernote 10.6. What a crock!

On 3/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, Andy Fra said:

-Andy

ta Andy, exactly the same issue with greyed out "tick" so you are not alone (emotional support here!) I am on EN 10.6, Android 10 Xiaomi  Mi9 lite
I have raised ticket (for the bug fix), they gave a method for screen recording  but black result (not allowed for this app)
so sent them simple explanation ....see if we get fix  

Maybe related - although I can see all my Notes, including the default notebook...when I look at the notebook list the default notebook is missing, and then when I go to settings - notebooks - default notebook that only gives a description of what a default notebook does in grey text.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, Andy Fra said:

-Andy

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I filed a support ticket in parallel. What they and some users on this thread recommended almost completely fixed the issue for me. Here's what I did:

- Login to Evernote Web interface

- Expand my Notebook structure

- Find an alternative notebook, other than my current default, to make the new default, and hit the ... menu and set as default notebook

- Close, and then reopen Evernote app on my Android device

At this point, when I create a new note, it's created in a new default notebook and works just fine. Then, I repeated all the steps above to switch back to my original default notebook. And at the end of it all, I could once again create new notes within my original default notebook.

However, one side effect I noticed after doing all the above, is that in the notebook viewer on my Android device, I now see two entries of my default notebook above/below each other in the list of notebooks. They both have the same note count. And when I access either one it seems to access my default notebook just fine. But it was a very strange side effect of seeing my default notebook listed twice within the list of notebooks. I'm now working with Evernote support to try to fix this new side effect.

Hope all this helps someone else.

-Andy

• Thanks 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8+. When I go to Evernote Settings, Support, it says I am using version 8.13.3. I then went to the Google Play Store to see if I missed an update, but it says my version is current. But 8.13.3 is far away from 10.6. What do I need to do to get this version 10.6?

30 minutes ago, xuv224 said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8+. When I go to Evernote Settings, Support, it says I am using version 8.13.3. I then went to the Google Play Store to see if I missed an update, but it says my version is current. But 8.13.3 is far away from 10.6. What do I need to do to get this version 10.6?

You need to be on Android 10. For now, that is the minimum version of Android supported by Evernote v10. They are apparently working on support for older versions of Android that will arrive in a future release.

Oh no 🙂 Several of us reverted to 8.13.3 because of some major issues and performance decrease which stopped us from doing work with Evernote for Android. I think by the time they hopefully figure these out, there maybe will be releases for Android 6-9 as they already announced. In the meantime you do not miss a thing 😉

On 12/3/2021 at 13:34, ehrt74 dijo:

1 add a widget

It worked for me too. Thanks 😊