Downgraded from premium... supposed to be two device to sync but now I am not able to sync any

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Wow, this is quite an interesting set up evernote has done.  I downgraded to basic from premium -- understanding that I could sync two devices.  It seems I had 6 devices that were once synced and I disabled all but two.  However, my even after that, my two devices that I had remaining still displayed an error message that I could only sync two. 

There was only two chosen to sync and yet it was forcing me to select from one of the two.  Then when my android evernoted opened and it was 100% blank as if it was a new account. 

Then my windows version, which was the remaining of the two showed a messaged that I un-synced too many devices this month  and it closed. 

That is amazing.  If you go through the process of downgrading you can not chose two devices because it forces  you into an endless loop of closing down devices that you have already close and the process of un-syncing your others will block you from using any devices.

In short... it is an endless loop.  I un-synced devices and yet it kept asking me to un-sync them again... funny loop and then it closed all of them.

• Level 5
  • Solution

You show here as Premium.

When downgrading, the best way is to unsync devices BEFORE the downgrade. Probably a clear cut does it all: Quit all devices, using the web client. Quit the web clipper on all browsers. Quit access for 3rd party apps as well, that may have access through the API. Then log out of the web client as well.

Wait maybe a day, to let everything trickle down the servers. Then only log into those 2 devices you will be using when on Basic. When Basic is active, you should be able to do things within the limits of the plan. It just goes beyond everything when you enter Basic with the Premium setup still in place.

Here is more about devices and the Basic plan:

Background: The limit of unsyncs per month was AFAIK introduced after "clever" users did client hopping to get around the Basic restriction. So say "thank you" to this minority group of users who stretch the limits until everybody feels the pain.

Ok... so there are two accounts we have, one may still be premium.  

On the matter I am dealing with here, I simply looking to have my evenote working on my windows 10 and one android phone.  Now nothing works except in a browser window.  My android Note 10 has the app installed.  It has a list of my notebook but all are set now to 0 with no notes inside.

How do I get at least two devices working now?  I appreciate that they are looking for ways of securing against illegitimated use, but now they have cut off reasonable access to my functionality.  How can I fix this asap?

Ah, It shows me two android devices.  I can not be sure of what those devices are as I have had many phones and tables over the years.  At first I was turning off devices base on last login but appears those dates were not accurate.  If I turn off those two remaining devices, and open up my windows 10 version and my Note 10 version, will they now start working?

• Evernote Expert
15 hours ago, SadNote said:

Ah, It shows me two android devices.  I can not be sure of what those devices are as I have had many phones and tables over the years.  At first I was turning off devices base on last login but appears those dates were not accurate.  If I turn off those two remaining devices, and open up my windows 10 version and my Note 10 version, will they now start working?

That's the best option. Disconnect all the devices shown and then reopen and you will get the first two devices permitted.

Number of devices - web client:

PinkElephant, you mentioned that the webclient counts as one device.  Is that true?  Are we not allowed two applications to be running on two devices yet still open any browser window we need to from other devices?  I want to understand the facts.

Evernote management behavior:

Also, how do we get truthful answers from evernote? I perplexed as to why they removed decent features such as the multi page handwriting feature that let us also record voice audio at the same time and replaced it with a child like, poorly designed one page sketch app... that looks like it was designed by an entry level programmer with no concept of the history of why features were designed a certain way.  For example, they put the pen selectors at the bottom of the page where a hand rests (and reguallry pumped) instead of where they are typically put at the top of the page.  

Pervious app versions:

Also, why can they simply not give us access to older versions of the app to download instead of impeding our workflow?

Something needs to be done here to help Evernote management understand integrity.  It seems to me they will just do anything without fear of legal repercussions for impeding or removing systems that client's have paid them to use.  Unless they were using a 3rd party handwriting app which they lost the rights to use, it just does not make sense for them to remove a decent app and replace it with a child like sketchpad. 

Things were ok for a while, without having to get involved with these forums... suddenly they come out with some crappy new version and we are forced to deal with the nonsense they impose on us.

• Level 5

Well, there is help for everything:

Sketch in fact is one paged - but it is a indefinite page. You can zoom in and out, move around as you wish. No page limit, endless creativity. He gives with one hand, what he has taken before with the other ... change of strategy, or only a technical switch because maybe it is supported this way in the framework used ?

You can still download the legacy client, so in fact every user now has 2 choices instead of only one, at least on the desktop. The same is true for the web client, classical and new editor. Only the mobile clients got force-upgraded, and in fact my EN iOS 10.6 is better than the previous client ever was. Of course I am taking it easy, because I don’t have a device limit. With Basic you have to decide about your setup, and better stick with it.

We will see how all this leads, but currently there is IMHO no need to run for the life boats.

• 2 weeks later...