Add Existing Tags Rather Than Create Duplicates

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I attempted to create a new tag under which I would put as sub-tags already existing tags that I often use together for many single notes. I called the new tag "expenses." When I attempted to add the sub-tags under "expenses", I found I could not use existing tags. I would have to create duplicates of them. That can't be right. Am I doing something wrong?

12 hours ago, JKPH00 said:

I attempted to create a new tag under which I would put as sub-tags already existing tags that I often use together for many single notes. I called the new tag "expenses." When I attempted to add the sub-tags under "expenses", I found I could not use existing tags. I would have to create duplicates of them. That can't be right. Am I doing something wrong?

You don't say how you are attempting to do this or what operating system you are using. On the desktop and web versions there are at least two ways to make subtags. You need to do this in the main tags window obtained by clicking "Tags" in the sidebar.

If you right click a tag or use the three dots menu that appears when you hover over a tag you have the option to create a sub tag within that tag.

image.png.2bf6c47d160a8d453ee0d37d1d293f8b.png

Alternatively if you have a tag you want to put in a different place in the hierarchy you can either "Move tag" using the above menu or simply drag and drop it.

• Like 1

Mike,

I'm a newbie at all this. Apologies for not getting back sooner. I'm learning to use the forums, too. I was able to access your response from the initial notice I got in my email, but made the mistake of going to try out what you suggested and couldn't figure how to get back to your much appreciated response until now.

I primarily use the Windows desktop version because I dislike so badly how the web version handles PDFs. I use a lot of them. The Windows version I am running now (10.9.10) still allows me to see the contents of the PDF rather than a file I have to click and read somehow else.

I must still be doing something wrong trying to use the embedded tags. Do I understand if I create a new, level one tag "expenses" and wish to use the existing tag "experiment" beneath it, I must MOVE the tag "experiment" beneath it? I tried it that way and can find the note using neither tag:expenses nor tag:experiment.

When I am cleaning up after the try, I can find the tag "expenses" and the tag "experiment." When I delete the tag "expenses," it gives me the chance to delete the subtags, too, which eliminates both "expenses" and "experiment." I just can't find notes labeled with either one. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help very much.

• Solution
1 hour ago, JKPH00 said:

Do I understand if I create a new, level one tag "expenses" and wish to use the existing tag "experiment" beneath it, I must MOVE the tag "experiment" beneath it? I tried it that way and can find the note using neither tag:expenses nor tag:experiment.

You are correct. You can move the "experiment" tag by right clicking and choosing move or just dragging and dropping it onto "expenses". Remember to work in the main tags window not the sidebar.

I assume that you have checked that the note does have both tags assigned to it. Look at the tags area at the bottom of the note. You can also check the number of notes assigned to each tag (see my screenshot above). If this all looks ok it might just be the time delay between tagging a note and being able to find it. In the early days this was unacceptably long (minutes, hours or days!) but now it normally works within a few seconds. Other things to try is to use the filter menu to filter for that tag (all notes then open up the filter at the top of the list) or try the web version.

1 hour ago, JKPH00 said:

I primarily use the Windows desktop version because I dislike so badly how the web version handles PDFs. I use a lot of them. The Windows version I am running now (10.9.10) still allows me to see the contents of the PDF rather than a file I have to click and read somehow else.

The current web version (currently 10.9.10) displays pdfs inline just like the desktop version.