Control/shift modifiers for capture screen

Hi - for years I've used the control/shirt modifiers to direct screen captures to either the desktop as an image, a new note, or my clipboard.  For example when watching some presentation and capturing individual slides, I want to put all the screen captures into 1 note instead of many separate notes with just 1 capture each.

I just updated to 10.8.5 and the behavior where pressing control/shift while defining the screen area before releasing the mouse button would select the destination of the screen capture.  Is this a lost feature or just some bug with my new installation?

I found this old post that described this behavior from some years ago...  I think that's what I'm talking about here.

thanks!

On 3/5/2021 at 8:39 PM, kevin123456789 said:

Hi - for years I've used the control/shirt modifiers to direct screen captures to either the desktop as an image, a new note, or my clipboard. 

I completely agree. It is currently "missing" and I certainly hope it will return. I actually use an external utility (Gadwin print screen) but the built in Windows snipping tool (if you are on windows) also works well. win-shift-S to start it.