[Feature Released in Version 10.16] Restore Import Folders

SalmanPak

Idea

I miss this too. This feature is very important for my workflow! I scan my documents and save them to this folder to be automatically imported. Just let us know whether and when this feature will be available again. Otherwise I need to stick with the old windows client.

• Like 7

Why would anyone with an atom of common sense release this 'improved' - slow, memory-hungry - version of Evernote for Windows without waiting until import folders work ?

Thankfully, the old version is still installed - so that can be used to handle this. The new version is installed in a ludicrous new location !

• Like 6

What's the point of having two EN side by side?

I don't understand Version 10. Let say you have a Mercedes, a decent car you can trust with some good quality German technology. With a new version, you expect the same car with some extra features.  

Version 10 looks like a Mercedes, but when you drive it, you feel that it is not as powerful as the previous version, then you find out that the paint is falling off, that the rearview mirror breaks off. In other words, it´s an awful copy of a real Mercedes. It is like the first Chinese car when copying western cars ... 30 years ago. However, this version 10 has been made by the same EN people. So? Don´t they know their own product? Have they deliberately kill their own product? Have they become incompetent? 
Those are not sarcastic questions. Those are honest - scratching my head - questions which totally blows my mind. Am I the stupid guy, or are they the stupid ones?

What is the logic behind all this?

• Like 4

I too rely on this feature. Between import folders being gone and the inability to use the Outlook shortcut to send files, I'm really disliking this app now. I've used it for years. VERY disappointed. If those features can't be reinstated, I'll be cancelling and using something different.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Ron Newsham said:

I think when the offer to install v10 was sent, it should have identified those features that were being removed - even if they were going to be restored soon. I don't think that this was made clear - after all, the new look and added features doesn't imply that some basic features would be removed.

Also, I have Evernote installed on several windows machines (work, home, laptop) and an android phone. The reason to use Evernote is to have one trusted place for all my "stuff" - don't always succeed, but has been of great benefit when I have been working away to be able to dig out and forward information for end-of-year tax return (and saved me a lot of fines for late filing!)

Import folders and editing creation dates are show stoppers so I need to use the legacy version. I didn't realise, so spent a lot of time trying to find where such features may have been hidden in the new UI.

I am the first time angry with Evernote. 

They steal Import folders without notice 

It´s an importend feature for me , I returned to the old version just now 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

THere was a lot of canvassing for the retention of Import Folders but these were announced as being dropped during the Beta phase.  Then there was discussion of restoring the function after a lot of testers said how important it is.

So far, though, no sign of the function.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, pansovic said:

Allows access to missing features (like import folders)   
while continuing to access v10, a work-in-progress

• Like 1

Oh goodness, what an experience I've had today with Evernote.  I received the following email from them:

image.thumb.png.de6f3350d9a7abedd121cdee7e5e0716.png

So I clicked on "Take the Survey" and received this response in my browser:

image.thumb.png.0746b95920654d9fdc2aa2a8acb188a1.png

So then, I replied to EN's original email, with this:

The final injury (insult?) was this:

image.thumb.png.d4f5a5a8068303fbb7599328abfd4b64.png

It's difficult not to personalize experiences like this.  One can only hope that this story will make it to an executive desk before I feel forced to complete my migration to Notion.

image.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Allows access to missing features (like import folders)   
while continuing to access v10, a work-in-progress

Same why question applies.  ;)

For me no sense in wasting time and energy on V10 until it becomes at least kind of practical for my use case.  It's masochistic otherwise, 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, pansovic said:

Here is my analogy for it to lighten the forums a little. :) 

V10 is the beautiful girl friend with horrible conversation and personality. She is awesome to look at and admire. You wish she was different, you wish she brings more to the table besides being pretty. You want meaningful conversation and no drama.

Legacy version is the cool girl who is always there for you and takes care of you. She does not have the new dark dress like the new girls out there has, but she has been there for you since the beginning and she has been somewhat reliable. She is what you need in your life vs. what you want (V10). 

So you still wanna look at V10 once in a while to wish for what your life could be with her, then you go back to reality to legacy version. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5*

The Version anouncement states that import folders will be implemented in an upcoming release.

But please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as AppleScript, import folders, and the ability to edit note creation dates—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps.

What is your problem with offline mode?

• Level 5
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Version anouncement states that import folders will be implemented in an upcoming release.

But please be aware that there are a handful of features—such as AppleScript, import folders, and the ability to edit note creation dates—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps.

@DTLow, "will be implemented" seems to be putting a lot of weight on the "yet" in "not yet available."

• Level 5*
On 10/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

will be implemented" seems to be putting a lot of weight on the "yet" in "not yet available."

Yep, I'm not losing faith until the feature is listed as "No Longer Available"

I have the same issue. I rely heavily on the import folders feature. This seems like a fairly basic, essential function. Why on earth would Evernote not include it? And why wouldn't they put a warning front and center that import folder links would be broken if we upgraded? I'll need to go back to the old version until this is fixed.

• Like 1

I could be wrong but it appears that a number of the changes (that we all miss) are related to less syncing & thus less bandwidth usage on the server side.   I'm days away from leaving Evernote after over 10 years unless there is some sort of response from them in this thread.  Their silence is deafening ! 

• Level 5

There has never been much reaction from EN officials to forum threads. 

To me it is quite obvious that at the moment the functions implemented are more based on the smallest common set of functions between the different clients. Most special features that were only available in one client, not in others are gone at the moment. Some are promised to return (without a roadmap or even release plan), others are declared as removed permanently.

Personally I stick with the legacy versions for Windows and Mac as long as they are available, or the release status of v10 has improved massively. I see the current v10 as an extensive beta, however by forcing participation on the users. I can live with it on iOS, because I can still do my heavy lifting on my desktop legacy clients.

There is IMHO no need for immediate action. It makes no sense to start a journey if you don’t know from where you start, and don‘t know where to go. So I think staying put is not the worst thing one can do.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There has never been much reaction from EN officials to forum threads. 

To me it is quite obvious that at the moment the functions implemented are more based on the smallest common set of functions between the different clients. Most special features that were only available in one client, not in others are gone at the moment. Some are promised to return (without a roadmap or even release plan), others are declared as removed permanently.

Personally I stick with the legacy versions for Windows and Mac as long as they are available, or the release status of v10 has improved massively. I see the current v10 as an extensive beta, however by forcing participation on the users. I can live with it on iOS, because I can still do my heavy lifting on my desktop legacy clients.

There is IMHO no need for immediate action. It makes no sense to start a journey if you don’t know from where you start, and don‘t know where to go. So I think staying put is not the worst thing one can do.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.  It makes sense.  However, I have other issues with Evernote (latency, adding existing notes as new notes (ie, changing the created/update date to today's date) and just the starts and stops of their strategy over the years.  Luckily I only updated to the new Windows version on my laptop but not my PC (which I tend to use more), but I sure wish I could go back to the previous version.    

Yeah, I'll probably stay put, but they have put a serious hitch in my workflow.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, toddmannn said:

Luckily I only updated to the new Windows version on my laptop but not my PC (which I tend to use more), but I sure wish I could go back to the previous version.    

Last active version 6.25.1.9091 is here at filehippo.  Put it back on your laptop and you should be fine for a while.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it will return withal future release.

For the next time you can install the „legacy“ client, alone or even in addition to v10. This means having 2 installations, with 2 databases.

Yes, maybe. Also maybe it was a terrible idea to release such an unusable version without enough testing? Also maybe the "legacy" version should be easily accessible from the download page until "non-legacy" version becomes usuable? Also maybe Evernote team should consider they may lose many existing long-term loyal Premium members because of the huge disappointment they caused?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Grant837 said:

Yes, I really miss and need the import folder - just scanned in 20 documents and now I have to manually create a note for each one... geezzzzz......

See previous comment:  also - send each file by email?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Reinald said:

I was missing docs that I dropped in my import folder. Now I understand it is dished??? This is the most used tool for me. Bring it back ASAP please.

Short term - an Import folder should still work with the Legacy version - look there for your missing files!  -Although they should also show up in v10 when Legacy syncs..

Longer term one of the 'coming soon'' trails on a recent release included import folders,  so they seem to be making a comeback!  Yay!!

• Like 1

Since the last update Evernote 10.3.7 does no longer import notes which I have exported from Echo Desktop via folder "Livescribe/exported", located on OneDrive. I have to manually import the notes which are then filed as separate file(s) (imported page with date) but not as page of the current LS3 A5 Notebook. It hzas stopped with page 30.

I have a similar problem. I am on a Windows 10 platform using Evernote 10.3.7. I have an Import Folder on my desktop. This no longer works. In addition, the menu item Tools / Import Folder / Add is no longer there. What happened?

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Outsourcingpharma said:

Since the last update Evernote 10.3.7 does no longer import notes which I have exported from Echo Desktop via folder "Livescribe/exported", located on OneDrive. I have to manually import the notes which are then filed as separate file(s) (imported page with date) but not as page of the current LS3 A5 Notebook. It hzas stopped with page 30.

20 minutes ago, mrkcvr said:

I have a similar problem. I am on a Windows 10 platform using Evernote 10.3.7. I have an Import Folder on my desktop. This no longer works. In addition, the menu item Tools / Import Folder / Add is no longer there. What happened?

Import folders are a pending item for the Version 10 product   
If they are critical to your workflow, use the Legacy product

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For the time being I would run the legacy client. If in a business environment it does not need to be rolled out everywhere. Just install on the machine(s) where the import happens, and sync the new notes from there into the account. Legacy can be installed side by side to a v10 client, on the same machine.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1

Very thankful that I found this forum. I installed the legacy app and everything is back to normal (yaaaay!). Import folder is back. Also, when I scan a document, it get goes to the folder I'm currently in versus the new version puts all your scans in some default folder. Took me a while to figure out where my scans were going.

• Like 2

Paying Member since 2009 does anyone have any clarity on if this will be restored.  If the feature is dropped forever I would like to know so I can cancel my subscription and move onto a new product over the Christmas period? 

• Like 1

Import Folders is the only reason I have evernote.  The lack of it has completely broken my process and made this application useless to me.  Nowhere was I warned of this massive loss in functionality when I upgraded.  Extremely disappointed. Paying member since 2010.  Won't be renewing in Feb if this is not fixed.  You should be ashamed of yourself as a company for not providing this functionality in the upgrade or a very clear message outlining this loss of functionality once you upgraded.  

• Level 5*

Hi.

20 hours ago, kotsialos said:

Paying Member since 2009 does anyone have any clarity on if this will be restored.  If the feature is dropped forever I would like to know so I can cancel my subscription and move onto a new product over the Christmas period? 

On 11/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, agsteele said:

I note that Import Folders are now officially listed as coming in the future in the Release Notes accompanying version 10.4.3

On 11/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, agsteele said:

I note that Import Folders are now officially listed as coming in the future in the Release Notes accompanying version 10.4.3

Interestingly, it seems to only be mentioned on coming in the future under the Mac release notes and not the Windows release. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Tyler Arbogast said:

Interestingly, it seems to only be mentioned on coming in the future under the Mac release notes and not the Windows release. 

Also interesting is that import folders were never an Evernote/Mac feature    
We had to roll-our-own, using the OS folder actions, triggering an applescript

13 hours ago, Tyler Arbogast said:

Definitely listed as coming soon in the 10.4 announcement at the top of this (Windows) forum.

• Evernote Expert
15 hours ago, Tyler Arbogast said:

I have it in my futures list on Windows ;)

I normally use Scansnap to file documents. But there are times when I have to import PDF documents - possibly in bulk (like around this time of the  year I try to make sure I have all my bank statements and other records for the tax year up to date).

So now instead of saving a PDF into a folder, then opening it in Evernote to tag it and set the creation date, I have wasted 10 minutes (updating Evernote, trying to find a workaround, extra steps to refile from a temporary notebook it created, then locate the note again because I didn't tag first..)

BTW - I do like some of the new features like the support for writing in Markdown - a great time saver.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Ron Newsham said:

I have wasted 10 minutes (updating Evernote, trying to find a workaround, extra steps to refile from a temporary notebook it created, then locate the note again because I didn't tag first..)

On 11/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

For the time being I would run the legacy client. If in a business environment it does not need to be rolled out everywhere. Just install on the machine(s) where the import happens, and sync the new notes from there into the account. Legacy can be installed side by side to a v10 client, on the same machine.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

In general,  if in doubt:  Legacy (which still works with import folders)

I'm astonished that import folders just vanished in the new release without any effort at notification. I even looked in the release notes and there seems to be no mention of it.  I did a search in help and as far as the KB knows, the import folders function is still there.  This is pretty shoddy customer service.

I love the product, and have been using it for almost ten years. This is not the way to keep customers happy, or even to keep customers period.

Also, as others have said, please reinstate the sync button. The auto sync is fine in the background, but not always sufficient.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, RNimz said:

I'm astonished that import folders just vanished in the new release without any effort at notification. I even looked in the release notes and there seems to be no mention of it.  I did a search in help and as far as the KB knows, the import folders function is still there.

Actually it was announced at a very early stage and the beta testers made a strong case for its retention.  It came with a challenge that the function was a Windows only thing so returning it would require development for it to be available with Mac OS as well.

It is listed as coming with a future update. In the meantime, as @PinkElephant notes, use the legacy version instead or alongside.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, RNimz said:

I'm astonished that import folders just vanished in the new release without any effort at notification. I even looked in the release notes and there seems to be no mention of it. 

https://evernote.com/blog/new-windows-mac/    

I think when the offer to install v10 was sent, it should have identified those features that were being removed - even if they were going to be restored soon. I don't think that this was made clear - after all, the new look and added features doesn't imply that some basic features would be removed.

Also, I have Evernote installed on several windows machines (work, home, laptop) and an android phone. The reason to use Evernote is to have one trusted place for all my "stuff" - don't always succeed, but has been of great benefit when I have been working away to be able to dig out and forward information for end-of-year tax return (and saved me a lot of fines for late filing!)

Import folders and editing creation dates are show stoppers so I need to use the legacy version. I didn't realise, so spent a lot of time trying to find where such features may have been hidden in the new UI.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Actually it was announced at a very early stage and the beta testers made a strong case for its retention.  It came with a challenge that the function was a Windows only thing so returning it would require development for it to be available with Mac OS as well.

It is listed as coming with a future update. In the meantime, as @PinkElephant notes, use the legacy version instead or alongside.

I think it's the wrong strategy from the very beginning. Neither you have 1 car that fits all terrains. You have SUVs, sportscars, sedans, pickups. Try to combine a sportscar with an SUV. Of course, you will need to jeopardize both. With the legacy version, we had a sportscar that needed some (heavy) tweaking, but now we have something that is not even close to a sportscar. Why trying to have all features on all systems? What's the use of Import Folders on Android if you have it on Windows? Why Windows users have to be affected by a feature because it cannot be implemented on Mac? Now you have frustrated window/mac/android users generating lengthy never-ending forum posts.

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, pansovic said:

Now you have frustrated window/mac/android users generating lengthy never-ending forum posts.

@pansovic I don't think I've frustrated anyone. I'm just a user like you. I simply reported what had happened and that Import Folders are scheduled to return and then offered a workaround for anyone who wished to use version 10. However, for those who want to keep their old workflows the legacy version continues to offer all it ever offered.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, pansovic said:

Why trying to have all features on all systems? What's the use of Import Folders on Android if you have it on Windows?

I don't see any plan for import folders on Android
I did see the notice that import folders will be implemented on Mac/Windows

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Nobody really knows. There are with all release notes now a "coming soon" view, but without a fixed date. What staff has communicated here that sometimes they hit a problem shortly before releasing (good to know that they obviously bumped up QA ...), and have to postpone a feature.

You can run legacy and v10 side by side, to find out about new features when released, and can test them before committing yourself.

For at least three months, Evernoite has been promising that import folders will be available in the new version of the program SOON.

Can Evernote please tell us all what they mean by 'SOON' - in my view 'soon' has been past for some time  !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, I'm starting to get frustrated.  I asked months ago about the import folder and all I ever hear is "it's coming" yet we are getting no real updates on this.  Then today I got notice that Evernote will no longer be updating the legacy version.  While I understand the desire to drive people to the new program, the import folder is vital to my productivity system.  I've been patient, but I'd really like more than "it's coming."  If there are major issues getting it to work, at least tell us that.  Honesty goes along way in our day and time.  But, getting strung along doesn't.  Please, Evernote, give us something here!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Ben Trigsted said:

Please, Evernote, give us something here!

Evernote don't (generally) do pre-release trails,  presumably on the basis that saying "it's coming next month" and then,  because of some external factor,  missing that date and waiting an extra month for the release will make users madder than just saying 'soon'.

Import folders of course already exist in the Legacy app, should you be in dire need.  Premium users can also email notes into their account.

I tried the new version when it came out...  soon found import folders were missing and reverted back to version 6.  

Later got tricked into clicking the upgrade button again.  I'd forgotten that import folders were missing.  Fired up my ScanSnap, scanned a few documents, went to Evernote - not there!  Then I remembered why I downgraded it.  Downgraded again...

I'm very glad to see it is on the roadmap...  I would have stuck with the older version indefinitely, but I was conscious that sooner or later they were likely to pull the plug on it, at which point I'd have relunctantly started looking elsewhere.  Hopefully Import Folders appears in Evernote 10 before they pull the plug on Evernote 6!

Is there anything else missing?  I had the impression that the search wasn't as effective, but I didn't spend long investigating.

• Like 1

So, we now have  version 10.9.10 and import folders is STILL due 'SOON' - end of the centure Evernote ?

Pink Elephant - I'm well aware that import folders (thankfully) still work in the old version - but they SHOULD have been added to the new version by now !

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Add that to a long list ...

Personally you could review your own (missing) contribution to the effort. It is nice when devs are working long hours to improve and add code, but -imagine- they need to have something in the fridge when coming home. There is nothing  from nothing ...

• Haha 1