Web Clipper is broken, useless, sloppy. Looking for an alternative.

I have LOVED Evernote for years. My most used app.

Latest iteration on Mac OS no longer has tabs

Android web clipping is a mess.  Same for clipping from my MacBook browsers.  No longer the neat, slick, simplified clips of the main content on the page; now it copies every link, formatting is a mess, all third-party ads and links are clipped.  Unusable.  Awful.

Support is crappy.  I'm a paid plus member. VERY dissatisfied.

I'm exploring alternatives.  A great loss.  Never saw anything l like it. THey had a great product.  Would've done better to just leave it alone.

• Thanks 1

Are you just complaining to complain or do you want to look for solutions? 

Do you do the article clipping or simplified article clipping? I find that doing the article clipping and then choosing only the sections I wants goes a long way to helping alleviate some formatting issues. A lot of it is the dynamicness (awful word I know) of the previewing in Evernote now. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything much better out there. But maybe Evernote just isn't the app for you any longer. 

If you're on Mac, the popular competitors are Devonthink Pro (huge learning curve), Keep It (extremely simple), Apple Notes (not as robust), Bear (primarily text based and organizes only on tags), and Notion (cross platform, but has some pretty big outages the past couple of weeks). 

• Level 5

Clipping on my Mac works as before.

There is an issue on iOS, but really: iOS clipping was never really good, if one needed a solid clip, it was always move over to the Mac and do it there.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jeremye.

I guess I'm complaining a bit 'cuz it's VERY frustrating. However, I do want a solution and have spent several hours today trying to find one.

I've downloaded and tried several:

OneNote - nice, but web clipper does not work at all on my Android phone

Nimbus - clips only a copy of the link to the page

Joplin - clips only a copy of the link to the page. Also, I really prefer WYSIWYG

DevonThink - doesn't have an android app

AmpleNote - possibly has potential

Bear - looks great but no android

Supernotes - no webclipper

Obsidian  - no webclipper

Keep It - nice, but no android (and no clipper?)

Notion - checking it out now. Interesting. Has trouble syncing some pages. Some apps not supported for syncing

The desktop version works "most of the time" but has begun having a lot of difficulty with the simplified clipper.  Includes a lot of junk.  "Sometimes" works fine.  The android web clipper has become unusable. Sometimes now it cannot clip at all (I just got an error that said it cannot load www.  Strange). More typically it includes everything on the page -- third party ads.

I've loved this app.  It gets worse with more updates.  Not sure what to do.  It's the clipping feature that's making it untenable for me, esp on Android.  However, I've not been successful in finding alternative.

• Level 5

What I do on iOS when I just need the content (this will not contain active hyper links):

• Open the web site, switch to reader mode
  • Open share - print (probably different on Android)
  • Instead of printing I now create a pdf (iOS does it from the Print preview - Even lets you select the range of Pages). I share this pdf to EN.
  • If I want to grab the URL as well, I simply copy it from the browser before I start the printing.
  • Open EN, let the new note be created, open it, place the copied URL into the new note.

It work without reader mode as well, but then it depends on the web site whether it looks o.k. when grabbed. Reader mode works nearly always.

I just came off replying to a similar question before I saw this topic. Personally I'm very content with EN Legacy and have not experienced the issues you mentioned with the web clipper, but am still phasing EN out, out of principle and because no tab functionality in future editions is a deal-breaker for me.

If it's not absolutely necessary for you to have your web clippings attached to a notetaking app, have you considered other tools with web clipping functions? For example, I now make a point these days to also 'save a permanent copy' when bookmarking web pages with raindrop.io (my bookmarking tool). Premium users get to use this. From the 'preview' screen it takes 1 button click to open/expand either the saved copy or visit the actual website. I believe a 'notes' and 'annotation' function are also in the roadmap.

I've also bookmarked Diigo to test out soon. Like Raindrop, premium users there also get the 'archived web pages' feature, but for now I can't vouch for this app yet.

PS: I haven't tested any of these on Android as I only make web clippings when working on a desktop.