New to Evernote. Questions about "to-do" type lists

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Hello,

Recently started using Evernote after searching for something to help me track/sync lists across devices. Mainly I want to do checklist type of stuff: Shopping list, to-do list, reminder list for packing, etc. 

Before retiring a couple of years ago, I worked in IT for 35+ years. Over the years I've used many tools like this at work. Most of those were software that the company bought and I don't want to spend the money at home. While researching options, Evernote consistently ranked near the top of all the reviews I read. So I figured I'd give it a go. 

I must say I'm frustrated with not being able to use what I consider must-have functionality in checklist-type of lists. I want the ability to create a list of items that have checklists to indicate when each is done. I've figured out how to do that, but I can NOT figure out how to get it to automatically move an item to the bottom, or a completed section, as soon as it's checked. 

From searching it seems a lot of Evernote users are having the same issue. Unless I've missed something, there is no way to accomplish this in Evernote. I hope I'm wrong, because it makes no sense why such an important feature would not be available. 

Please tell me there IS a way (and how to do it please :) )  to do this without all kinds of convoluted steps or custom scripts. 

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  From a personal point of view I'd say Evernote is a bit of a sledgehammer if you only want to create shopping lists - there are any number of other apps that will do the job (though not all of them move the items around on completion - some cross through the item,  others just vanish it.)

This is as much as Evernote can offer - and no,  there's no re-ordering there either.  Create a checklist

On 3/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  From a personal point of view I'd say Evernote is a bit of a sledgehammer if you only want to create shopping lists - there are any number of other apps that will do the job (though not all of them move the items around on completion - some cross through the item,  others just vanish it.)

This is as much as Evernote can offer - and no,  there's no re-ordering there either.  Create a checklist

Thanks,

It really DOES seem like overkill for what I need at the moment, but it kept showing up at or near the top in all reviews for apps in that category. Figured I'd try it. 

Frankly, I'm surprised it does NOT offer that functionality. It seems like a simple thing to accomplish and I'd think lots of others would want that. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 3/4/2021 at 7:26 AM, IMZvonko said:

I want the ability to create a list of items that have checklists to indicate when each is done. I've figured out how to do that, but I can NOT figure out how to get it to automatically move an item to the bottom, or a completed section, as soon as it's checked. 

"move an item to the bottom" is not supported by the Evernote editor    
☑️Checkboxes have always been supported,    
and the new Version 10 product supports checklists which applies strikethrough to checked items

On 3/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, IMZvonko said:

I want the ability to create a list of items that have checklists to indicate when each is done. I've figured out how to do that, but I can NOT figure out how to get it to automatically move an item to the bottom, or a completed section, as soon as it's checked. 

Apple Notes offers this feature.  At this time, Evernote does not have this feature.  If they do add this in the future, I really hope they make it an option, as I would not want my completed items moved to the bottom.

If it is only checklists you are looking for, you may want to try Remember the Milk or something like that.