Request: Allow search for square brackets [ ]

Mark.

Idea

In note taking, drafting, and especially legal, it's common practice to put text in square brackets [like this] and then search for "[" at a later date.  I also use this format to tag actions for people using their initials (e.g. [AA]).

However when I try to search for square brackets in evernote it doesn't find them.  And when I search for people tags e.g. [AA] then it ignores the square brackets and returns anything that has "aa" in it.

This is causing real problems - could search be updated to look for square brackets?  Many thanks.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

When I wish to set up keywords I use a specific prefix so as not to confuse the keywords with other text - xWork or xProject1 forinstance.  Checkboxes - ticked and unticked - can also be searched for,  within date ranges if appropriate.  My To-Do list forinstance is basically "any task that is still open with a due date of today or earlier".

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mark. said:

I'd suggest this is a bug/feature request - can Evernote comment on whether this could be addressed?

It's by design - Evernote search grammar,  like many other search engines,  ignores case and punctuation.  This is a feature request thread - you could change the title a little to make it more obvious,  and see whether other users think it's a good idea...