Major, Incomprehensible Problems with new Android Evermote

The major overhaul of Android Evernote is being true to form: major new problems and reduced functionality.

1. When I try to send the contents of a website to a note using the web clipper (through 'share'), the Evernote window where I can change notebooks or add tags is frozen. It says 'Loading'...but never completes. I have alot of tags and many notebooks, but this was not a problem in the older Android Evernote. My tags seem to appear in Evernote (but not my notebooks),

2. My notebooks are missing (stored under various categories). The categories appear but no notebooks within these categories. Or, many notes appear, but not the folders/notebooks they were placed in.

3.  It appears impossible to delete tags. There is no option for this, as there used to be. Such a basic function,ַ  gone

4. It was possible to enter a comma to the end of tags to enter the tag. Now I have to wait for the tag to appear on the list of tags and press it  It's much faster to enter tags you know my by heart with commas. Incidently, it was once possible to enter multiple, comma-delimed tags at once through a web clipper (as is the case for Web Clipper on my PC). Now, no longer possible in Android Evernote. Why?

5. I tried to copy the contents of a Webpage ( i.e., only text) and pasting it to an empty Note. Doing do freezes the note and I can't see what was clipped except for what appears in the frozen window.

It simply boggles the mind that major revisions of Evernote are inevitably 1/2 step forward, three or for steps backwards. There is no other software that I use that is so fraut with problens, especially when major overhauls are unleashed. Is Evernote aware of this?

I returned to Evernote Legacy on my PC because of all the problems with the new PC Evernote (including the very first step: failing to load at all).

Can I return to the earlier Evernote for Android? As it stands, the new version is useless for me

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CharlesEd said:

Can I return to the earlier Evernote for Android? As it stands, the new version is useless for me

Hi.  These sites have older Evernote APKs (installation files).  They're not 'official' download sites,  and there are reasons why Google strongly suggest it's a BAD idea to download installation files from site that are not  its own Play Store where certain basic standards are required.  If you know what to do,  and are willing to do it,  you're looking for Evernote 8.13 as the last public release before v10.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  These sites have older Evernote APKs (installation files).  They're not 'official' download sites,  and there are reasons why Google strongly suggest it's a BAD idea to download installation files from site that are not  its own Play Store where certain basic standards are required.  If you know what to do,  and are willing to do it,  you're looking for Evernote 8.13 as the last public release before v10.

Do you reckon Evernote could host a 8.13 apk so I at least can have some faith that is hasn't been tampered with by a third party?

10 just completely doesn't work for me. And without a number of months dev effort I don't see how it could compare in speed or functionality.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, ferrouswheel said:

Do you reckon Evernote could host a 8.13 apk so I at least can have some faith that is hasn't been tampered with by a third party?

You could always ask Support whether they can offer you a link - but I imagine that if you want to stay friends with Google,  you need to abide by their rules - and they're probably as restrictive as Apple:  There Can Only Be One current version...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

You could always ask Support whether they can offer you a link - but I imagine that if you want to stay friends with Google,  you need to abide by their rules - and they're probably as restrictive as Apple:  There Can Only Be One current version...

Actually @gazumped, the Google Play store is far more progressive in its testing options and capabilities than the iOS app store. There are a plethora of options of which Evernote could have availed themselves, such as:

1. Rename the old app to Evernote legacy (just like on desktop) and launch the new Evernote for mobile app as a new store listing. The obvious drawback to this approach is that the new listing would start with zero reviews and no rating.
  2. A better approach they could have taken involves keeping the existing app listing, and make an open test version of the new app available for anyone who chooses to opt-in (either via a web link or directly from the app store page). That would allow users to move back and forth at will between the new version and the old version. A side benefit is users of the test version would not be able to make a public review nor have their review affect the app store rating, so the app rating would not suffer during the initial shakedown period.
  3. In addition or instead of open test version, an app in the Play store can have a large number of additional testing versions for more enthusiastic and adventurous customers. This could help catch some of the more egregious issues before an update reaches the open testing channel, and definitely before it becomes the default version for all.
There are a number of additional permutations and options available, but you get the gist.
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Thanks @Paul A.I was wondering if Play Store offered options like that. I take it you know this from experience?

Yes. I'm quite surprised that they haven't availed themselves of more of the possibilities, but then the desktop beta process (which has virtually limitless possibilities given the lack of constraints on desktop) has also been limited and disappointing in its structure.

Therefore, I'm led to believe that this is a result of resource constraints inside Evernote, a management which doesn't value open testing or doesn't sufficiently prioritize it, a culture inside the company that doesn't value wide and open testing, or outside pressure (from investors, board members, etc.) to meet certain milestones regardless of the quality of the software.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I can vouch that they certainly don't put much effort into regression testing! In fact about the only recent, technically impressive achievement is migrating the back-end services to the cloud. Other than some brief outages, the transition was seamless for myself and everyone I've been in touch with. That was happening over a year ago.

(If it turns out that there were major problems with that migration after all, I'm not entirely sure I'd want to know! Perhaps I'm better off believing there is at least one thing Evernote can still do right? But then again, nah, I'd rather know...)

• Like 1

In Evernote on samsung android, my word document saved in a note won't open.  it says there is no app to open it.  Never happened before.  added MS Word for android, no change, still won't find that.  this is a confidential password (in Word) protected file.  one I use constantly.  Any solutions?