Edit a PDF an delete single pages

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hello,

I work with Evernote as a document manager and until recently I was able to edit my scanned documents by manually removing too much scanned or blank pages from the document. This function now seems to have disappeared or is hidden. Can anyone help me to get this function back? 

Thank you very much,
Manuel

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Alec Fellman said:

you're right, it's totally messed up and there are several forums posts about it from 9+ months ago.

evernote doesn't care.

You probably didn’t even try, given your comment that is fully missing the point.

Removing pages (or other pdf actions) works super easy using the current v10 on a Mac. EN really did a great job on it.

As a special form of treating your trolling of an 8 month old posting without adding any useful insight, I won‘t tell in this post how it works.

Go find out yourself, or search the solution in the forum. A full description is available , I wrote it myself.

Hello PinkElephant,

I'm really sorry if I missed a post or even a whole tutorial for this point here in the forum. I certainly don't want to troll anyone here or anything else. 
At the moment I "have" to work with "EN Legacy" all the time, because this desired function is not to be found. At least not at the place where it was to be found before. Maybe I'm just too stupid... I would be very grateful if you would send me a link to your tutorial in the forum.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding...
I am looking for this function which was formerly under the place shown in the picture.

Have a nice weekend,
Manuel 

IMG_4053.jpeg

• Level 5

Yes, I know. They outsourced it, sort of. Thus this will only work on a Mac.

Click on the pdf attachment. It gets a blue border. Right at the top of it, 3 symbols will show. Hit the 3 dots. From the submenu choose „Open“.

EN will now open the pdf in Mac Preview (!). Make it show its side panel, the page actions are there. Every other editing works as well.

When done, hit close window (red dot) or cmd-w. All changes are saved back into the attachment in EN. 

When you have EN showing the attachment and preview side by side, you see how the changes show in the EN window while editing in Preview continues*. Amazing integration - but to make it save, you need to close the Preview window.

One little downside: Preview is preselected and can’t be changed. I would maybe prefer PDF Expert, but currently it is Preview.

(*) I found with EN10.25 I need to hit "Save" / cmd-S in Preview to make the changes reflect in EN. The document then updates in EN, but stays open in Preview for further editing. "Close Window" / cmd-W will close the pdf in Preview and save the changes back into EN. Changing the note with the pdf makes it sync (if it has not already synced before).

• Level 5

Just took a look, and have edited my posting above accordingly. It works in general, just the updating is different (needs to make a "Save" / cmd-S to transfer the changes from Preview to EN).

It works as described. I have found no setting, not in EN, not in the Macs settings and not in Preview. It should work "out of the box" after installing.

Maybe try to click the pdf (blue border), then really 3 dots, Open, which brings up Preview and opens the pdf in it. For me it works with a double click on the pdf header as well. Double click on the pdf body (page) does not open it, however. Right click and choose "Open" again works.

Open in Preview the left side panel, because it allows to select full pages.

• To delete, click a page and choose "Delete" from the "Edit" menu. A keyboard tap on my Keyboard did not delete the page, independent from EN.
  • To rotate a page, click it and then click on the rotate button in the Preview tool bar. To rotate it clockwise, hold the option key. Or use the shortcuts cmd-L and cmd-R.
  • All Annotation tools work as well. The second tools bar opens after clicking on the pencil symbol.

Maybe play a little. When you hit "Save" in Preview, the pdf open in EN should update the changes after a little wait. It will for a moment go obscured and refresh the picture, this it when it saves. You can continue editing then.

After hitting the red dot to close the Window, or the menu command, or cmd-W the document closes, saving all changes back. Quitting Preview (cmd-q) seems to save as well, but I am not sure if this happens always.

If the "Save" does not work, something is wrong. Then please post again.

• Confused 1

Okay, thank you very much for your efforts.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work for anyone.
For me, it would be absolutely okay to make the changes with Preview if these would then also be automatically incorporated into EN. But this step is missing. 
Surely I could now manually import the document back into EN and delete the old document in EN. But if this is the way, then the workflow is so interrupted that it makes no sense. 

• Level 5

No, does not make sense. This was the way it was before EN changed it. It was already changed in March 2021 with release 10.10. We are now at 10.25, 15 releases later !

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001700002

There is a „fix it all“ procedure you may want to try. The next step after it would be a full uninstall / reinstall using the app AppCleaner to remove all parts of EN. But first try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 

Okay, I just tried it on three different machines.
The first is my previous work computer on BigSur. Both ways did not lead to success.
Second I tried it on a new MacMini M1 (bought 3 weeks ago and freshly set up with Monterey), again no success on both ways.
On both computers I had EN 10.25.6 and deleted it with AppDelete 4.3.3. Then reinstalled EN 10.25.6 from the Appstore, logged in again and synchronized. Unfortunately no success.

The last thing I tried was on my girlfriend's computer. This has never seen EN before. Freshly installed from the Appstore, logged in, waited 5 minutes until the syncronization was complete. Again, the same result as was seen on the video earlier. 😞

Somewhere there is probably the worm in it.

I invite you to connect to my computer and see for yourself. Maybe I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, but I'm not really an idiot when it comes to computers.

• Level 5
  • Solution

And I am just another user, so sorry, won't connect.

My Mac is a high specced 2019 Intel MacBook Pro, BigSur 15.6.1, EN 10.25.

But there is one difference I see - which is I run the direct install from Evernote.com, not from the AppStore.

The AppStore version is exactly the same code - but coming from the AppStore, it runs restricted, in a sandbox mode. This means it is limited by MacOS in the way it is allowed to interact with other apps - which is what we see here.

If you are not tired of trying, I would completely remove the AppStore version from the Mac. I am not aware of AppDelete - with AppCleaner you need to be careful to really remove everything, program and data. It sometimes leave out some data files , which need to be selected manually.

Then restart the Mac, and get the download from evernote.com. Install from the DMG, and give it another try.

Thumbs pressed !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, that was the solution.
In fact, it now works as you described. Really amazing that that was the solution. 

In any case, thanks for your time and effort you have helped me (and certainly many others who read here) very much. 
Have a nice sunday!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Sometimes you forget the simple things. I ran into problems with interoperability years ago using legacy from the AppStore. I uninstalled and since then only used the direct install.

Glad this could be solved ! Have a nice weekend and a good Adventszeit.