I still do not understand how one should most effectively organize data when using Evernote

David456

Idea

What Evernote calls "Notebooks" seems to function like "folders" when using Windows File Explorer and what Evernote calls "Stacks" seems analogous to "nesting" Folders.  However unlike Windows or even earlier, DOS, Evernote only allows one level of nesting aka stacking.  When I complained about this earlier I was told that the major way to organize Evernote is via "tags" and yet as Evernote has evolved the tag function seems to have stagnated or even now has reduced functionality.  1) Tag access is located below notebooks access and the position cannot be moved.  If tags where that important perhaps they should come first? Second, on recent versions of Windows Evernote access to tags is limited to a single column in contrast to earlier versions of Evernote when I could bring up a multi-columned page of tags.  The single column makes it very hard to organize tags in a logical structure.  So that even though Tags can have multiple nesting levels, it it hard to do this given the limited access to a large group of tags in the most current Evernote versions -- at least the windows versions.  Finally I have no clue as to what the "HOME" toggle is good for.  I have gone into it and except for the scratch pad it seems to have no useful information - yet it comes first and cannot be relocated to a more subservient position.  

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, David456 said:

effectively organize data when using Evernote ... (Notebooks/Tags)

My notes rarely fit a single organization category
For me, the most important point is that notes can be assigned one or more tags   

As you indicated, for those into folder navigation - there's notebook/tag tags tree in the sidebar
I rarely use them.    
I indicate hierarchy in the notebook/tag name; for example Budget, Budget-Housing, Budget-Housing-Rent

On 2/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, David456 said:

What Evernote calls "Notebooks" seems to function like "folders" when using Windows File Explorer and what Evernote calls "Stacks" seems analogous to "nesting" Folders.  However unlike Windows or even earlier, DOS, Evernote only allows one level of nesting aka stacking.  When I complained about this earlier I was told that the major way to organize Evernote is via "tags" and yet as Evernote has evolved the tag function seems to have stagnated or even now has reduced functionality.  1) Tag access is located below notebooks access and the position cannot be moved.  If tags where that important perhaps they should come first? Second, on recent versions of Windows Evernote access to tags is limited to a single column in contrast to earlier versions of Evernote when I could bring up a multi-columned page of tags.  The single column makes it very hard to organize tags in a logical structure.  So that even though Tags can have multiple nesting levels, it it hard to do this given the limited access to a large group of tags in the most current Evernote versions -- at least the windows versions.  Finally I have no clue as to what the "HOME" toggle is good for.  I have gone into it and except for the scratch pad it seems to have no useful information - yet it comes first and cannot be relocated to a more subservient position.  

I use notebooks only to share a group of notes with others. I don't use them to organize any note, I'm using Tags. The issue I have with folders is, many notes could reside in several folders or notebooks - so, where to place them? no issues with Tags - and being able to drill down searches by selecting Tags is super efficient.

I also have only a short number of nested Tags (being able to minimize space in the UI by open / close the list view) - groups, nesting - don't need it at all.