Evernote has become embarrassingly sluggish on my phone. Have you experienced the same?

Hi there!

Evernote has become quite sluggish since the release of V10.x..

The app itself usually takes five seconds to open on phones with flag ship hardware. Very annoying if one needs to check something quickly or just note down a few words.

Search is slow. 

Fairly often one simply gets a blank page when clicking on any note. The only way of solving this problem seems to be to restart the app. 

The in-app website browser is ridiculously slow. 

I don't know who made the decision to release a beta version of Evernote to the public and not have it fixed for months, but I'm very sorry to say that I hope he is no longer with the company. 

What has your experience been? 

☹️

• Like 8

Yup exactly the same, it seems to take a few seconds for the app to fire up, same to load a note. It wouldn't be so bad but without Home screen shortcuts, I now have to launch the app, find the note I'm looking for then spend a few seconds opening this. Once a note is open it is noticeably slower than in previous versions, particularly around copying/pasting and creating new lines or checklist items.

Why were home screen shortcuts removed? So many users have complained about this bizarre decision. This just adds time to everything!

Are home screen shortcuts ever coming back? I'm happy to wait around if they are, but if not, I'll just start migrating my notes elsewhere. Could we have an answer one way or the other PLEASE?

• Like 3

Updated today to v10.5.1, on two devices. The lag was immediately noticeable. It's on the verge of being unacceptable. The whole thing is flickering, tags and note content appears a full two seconds after I've clicked a note. On flagship devices, nonetheless. 

• Like 2

Yeah performance of EN v10.5.1 is still a joke compared to other apps on my phone. It's funny because release notes contains info about performance improvements:
Ja0_DI4HRwMNK_ePuiJu3ahTf2qI7ZMuiWaw2Q_w3M2oUDBfk5O0UWmwe6hB37esMavzyjx-9aMdbvzePdvbtMk6RxmFCJaS4kdQRBMhmiUozmBj_ng5pmYTUeOAnpgxyfmD1cam-3XDuG-2AhCTBAmBazVdgHmZG6vdZv0Psp1vqYeayUW-DUqfoX7JTWpIICIvlXWKETEiBccKavp_laKyvmvkAmNggpcrFvmYZdmsmM_vTYldl1uDkDN39LnkOksnP2NllqAPYglfrGIPfy--KzwuDSqT_APEUn37SqxWXMZWyvREBOSNc_Ebq9rHHpthaLas6fczvhFoW2BifsvaL3UfF33vPUNSsmBLkcWIIzo4vJNLq63lT1S7X7PTvhvyhxaFhHzLDIZmcqoeQF-UY_ujOimyCvfKQNzuESA1-_uWND65X46Ebt56mEaLDJDnRSjkz1j0QqJQun1pNt3ihoiyimp9IfnIxOcpkWYccYvb0IVJkFQ6fyRDe4__ysIPE9E7z33IaJROyy0_6Dq0GnntNCeYLuWyB79Vrk-RdJtn9V4bT-EdEPmrcczpAs0BaiM_3RMfjgmiXvuY8fkfbL4I8dVEfgRk5RD4niOTvgsaZxLlnsnL7Ro9Rr6UC9yrHa3s_WJFRPA-mgs73OKvZy529gtycFbmmbyis6TDMWP2g2rf56bEDJvr_A=w1920-h493-no?authuser=0

But performance is also an issue in Windows. So I guess this is a multiplatform issue at the moment.

• Like 3

Timed it. On my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, Evernote now takes a full 13 seconds to load. On the same tablet, I have a fairly graphics-heavy game that takes 7 seconds to load... In fact, I have no other app that loads this slow. Google Maps is ready before the 6-second mark. Netflix in 4. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

You can go back to v8 and stay on that version for now.

Uninstall current EN v10. Download correct version (depending of the devices CPU/SoC) of .APK file here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/
When you install v8. open Google Play Store search for Evernote. In upper right corner there are 3 dots. Click them and uncheck "Enable auto update".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The same for me. I've been using Evernote for 10 years now in a lot of OS (mobile & desktop).

I'm used as well to scan and archive all my document with Evernote. From February, the app is very slow in search and in document scanning... it is a such nightmare that I'm using Google photo app to scan now... what a pity. I have a Google Pixel 5 / Android up to date / all my apps up to date.

Thanks to @matej1990, it works now. But, I don't understand the method "enable auto update isn't checked" but the Play Store suggests me an update (which I need to refuse each time manually). Is it right ?

++

Laurent.

Edited by neomaniacs
add some details after reading the thread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Google Play Store settings there is an option to auto-update all apps on your phone. If you have this turned on, then you have to uncheck "enable auto update" just for Evernote app in Google Play:
uEev8X3EGCx-IJJkksrIJFsebJSrYxckie7JgnSvtGF1qGNQdgjIHBVf4OFaVfRhkDcb-WIA9jTB0PxRuyVeg4h01s8ObkwDl1zRtfCvb0VAcWnpKd3iRCCIy0AZdspVE1BvQ7M1MgqVPZxQkBRcdNAor_dW_erCdKYABVjZlKSve4JNB7YMMiMs9fphJPjieONQ7JozLaO11ltP2mu6CW8073AmeoJqGDlgbOsPP7yHouRhdBFCCYrdmt2WJt-w0sYDc_5iC-x7NkU6O1cRIhXoArXaSuXiECrC1tR7dy8r6A0VcPP-3pxdLo6cO_gwbRqG_8K0ijZlCjKVhgFBMfSX0g4jGjqlWDVGnWxHSx637CnLjwZ_JDMVSeKQwpYcag9zH-HniHnrTUHmtAlsN7BmUf0AmoLnZl2yuoeh9Prx-DdcOFvBqDyLKVL2vTEGri4LaUPnCmqGUnPKo8tGfmez0Iqpp2GvhCk74PbFa5orT7SR-4YypXItup-Q_mMs7nuOMdtaflO_orMOec7R9k921TfyZtVfNAoH9s5yRAZjUOA8pVEWuNH5No6Bpe-BrRYyIwf5Nlbx_12UyMe-BR55Tl2y1I8FCLf--kxxCXWtXU03xOH6L_XNtmwOM4DRZMlb5vHh4qk36I9Q7qk1q7scqqXvbp8P9Lkno9skURYVC_NXtC-reOIeVUMD2F5t7AfA-2ArvUcyR6TALRzx5DbR=w917-h1055-no?authuser=0

If you don't do this, your app will soon be auto updated to v10.

If you manually update all apps on your phone, then you don't have to do this.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:51 AM, matej1990 said:

Thanks Matej. You're a life-saver! The v10 app refused to clip anything, and took a long time (not) doing it! I prefer everything about v8.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

PREMIUM User since 2008.  So I've sunk close to a grand into this EN-deavor. 

Bail out on 10x, revert to com.evernote.google-play.8.13.3.1083330.allArch.6087 dot APK (google where to download the APK or find it elsewhere in this forum.  It seems - for some days - EN provided it, and then stopped.)

EN v10 android is an acute disaster. As is their newer PC platform. as was Woke Coke (and its New Coke predecessor). I sense noble intentions but inept, outsourced implementation relying on shoddy, disinterested partner tech firms' support. 

/rant off

• Like 1
On 5/12/2021 at 3:29 AM, David McGrath said:

I have the same issue. Have Evernote issued a fix?

I raised a ticket on the extreme slowness. Support immediately confirmed the problem and assured, that development is working on this to get fundamentally better with coming updates...keep finger crossed 🤞

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, matej1990 said:

Uninstall current EN v10. Download correct version (depending of the devices CPU/SoC) of .APK file here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-13-3-release/
When you install v8. open Google Play Store search for Evernote. In upper right corner there are 3 dots. Click them and uncheck "Enable auto update".

Thank You matej1990.
Howa can we be informed of an operational updated version with bug fix?
Best regards.

JmPillot

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:48 PM, neomaniacs said:

The same for me. I've been using Evernote for 10 years now in a lot of OS (mobile & desktop).

I'm used as well to scan and archive all my document with Evernote. From February, the app is very slow in search and in document scanning... it is a such nightmare that I'm using Google photo app to scan now... what a pity. I have a Google Pixel 5 / Android up to date / all my apps up to date.

Thanks to @matej1990, it works now. But, I don't understand the method "enable auto update isn't checked" but the Play Store suggests me an update (which I need to refuse each time manually). Is it right ?

++

Laurent.

Thanks! I am back to v8, very nice.

• Like 1

Yes, Android, Galaxsy S21 has been very slow. Had Enote for 12 years now, definitely the slowest response time it's ever had and very bothersome. Looks like other ticket shows Enote service replied that "they are aware of this and developers are working on it" 

its like with many other features, "coming soon" 

"coming soon" is the stand reply since the appearance of Evernote 10, but there comes nothing

Hartmut

• Like 3
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, ha-kg said:

"coming soon" is the stand reply since the appearance of Evernote 10, but there comes nothing

It is quite obvious that after 34 releases for the mobile platform in less than 2 years, this post is plain BS. 

About the basic working of the Android client: I take from the forum that for some users it works good (likewise for most iOS users), some others claim problems. There is no alternative than to feed problems to support. Android is not as standardized as iOS-little wonder there may be configurations that collide with the EN app.

• Like 1

For me it is quite obvious that after 34 releases for the mobile platform in less than 2 years, I still see original bunch of initial bugs from the very 10.0:

- overall poor app performance and sluggish gui

- offline notebooks downloading forever and only with screen on

- no background sync, therefore remote changes not synced to mobile

- program start and initial sync of homescreen lasts pretty/too long - conflicting the concept of quick note taking on the go

- embedded images not shown reliably

Most users in the forums here get in touch with support to feed with bug reports as I did a lot...I mean a lot of times.... all i got in 1,5 years is......"known bug"...."soon"...."later"....  🤷‍♂️

• Like 4