Change email address - "This email address is already in use." but it isn't

Lotus49a

I have only ever had one Evernote account.  I initially authenticated using a gmx.com address and a password.  I then started authenticated using my Google account but it was the same content so I have clearly been logging into the same account.  I want to change the email address (gmx.com) recorded under Security Summary -> Email Address.  When I try changing that address to my Google address (with which I can log into the account) I get the error message "This email address is already in use.".

This thread 

suggests that this happens when there is another account associated with the rejected address but that is not the case here.  If I log in using my Google account, I get to the same account.

How do I change the account associated with the gmx.com address? 

It is probably irrelevant but I have a Premium account but the account was a free account until a few months ago.

• Level 5*

Hi  If this page doesn't help,  I can only suggest that you open a support ticket so that someone can do this manually for you.  It does look as though the Google address is already registered against that account - presumably because you're using it as a login.

How to change your account login email address

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Thank you but that didn't help and I'd already seen that.  I'm not the first person to have this issue but all the proposed solutions I've seen related to the new email address already being associated with a different account rather than the same account.

I'll raise a support ticket.

• Like 1

It appears that Evernote is not accepting new tickets.  I visited that page and my options were to read the documentation (which didn't help) or to ask the community (which also didn't help although I do appreciate your response).  There was no option to raise a ticket.

I'm not impressed.

• Level 5

Probably it is quite simple: 

You created your account using a GMX address. This was saved by EN, and this is still your main account relation.

Then you decided later to use the login with Google. This means you did not change your existing address, you are using the login with Google as an additional login procedure. OK says EN, and saves your Google login as an additional login.  Now your account is linked to both the GMX and the Google address.

You now want to change your GMX address into your Google address. EN  checks it and correctly says „I know this address already“, and won’t let you switch over to it. Because if they would allow it, you would have 2 logins using the same address, which could lead to a login conflict.

You are shown as a Premium user here. So log into your account through the web client (Evernote.com, and login on that page), by using your GMX account. Now quit the Google login through the account settings, maybe log out and in again to make it stick, and then try to switch your principal GMX address into your Google address.

Or place a support ticket from the web client. Once you are logged in and recognized as Premium user (see account status), this should work.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply and that makes perfect sense.  I was able to follow your instructions and disconnect my account from Google login.  I also revoked access to all devices including the web client) and I can now see no reference to Google in any of my settings.  I was logged out automatically of course when I revoked access to the web client which I was using at the time.

Unfortunately, it still didn't work.  However, this prompted me to try something else.  I tried to login using my Gmail address as the user name.  That didn't work as the account password had to be reset but I went through that process and was able to log into another Evernote account that had no content.  I have no idea how I was able to set up one account with my Gmail address as the username but able to log into another account using the same address but the Google login API.  I don't even know that I did do this as there were no notes or login history but I deactivated that account and after a lot of faffing about, I have now been able to change my email address and all is now well.

Thank you for taking the time to help, I appreciate it.