Can i search within the URL source for a web-clipped item.

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I often clip web articles from theguardian.com.  I tried the Evernote search function, using "theguardian", "theguardian.com" and also i copied an entire URL that existed as the source for a note and searched for that.  All fail.

How would i find all the notes from the URL source "theguardian.com"?

Thank you.

• Level 5

The use of „*“ as a wildcard for whatever string may be in its place is nothing not documented, it is pretty standard for searches. It goes way back in IT history, and is used for example in Google searches as well.

To learn more about the Evernote search, here are some of the „undocumented“ secrets of search in EN:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The use of „*“ as a wildcard for whatever string may be in its place is nothing not documented, it is pretty standard for searches. It goes way back in IT history, and is used for example in Google searches as well.

To learn more about the Evernote search, here are some of the „undocumented“ secrets of search in EN:

I used both those links in preparing my response. Where is sourceurl: referenced?

And while we are at it perhaps @PinkElephant could also show me the reference for stack: within the Evernote search syntax documentation. Just because there is documentation does not mean that it is complete. Perhaps trying ctrl-F on the documentation page would be appropriate before making a sarcastic response.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You can go to the developers pages (link see second document) and search. Or you use the forum search.

Both will show more hits than I am willing to review at the moment, going back up to 10 years.

The developers page entitled "search grammar" (the one you linked to) does not include all the search syntax. Try searching for stack: or sourceurl: on the page

If you use the search facility on the developers page you get a lot of hits - all from the forums.  I don't personally include comments in the forums as part of the official documentation. So perhaps I should have said "not officially documented" rather than "undocumented".

• Like 1

Thanks much for the discussion (from original question asker).

What i learned is that apparently the "regular" search (if you just type into the search box) does not search the URL field. Too bad, i would have expected it to do so.  Also apparently the "*" at the end is mandatory. Even though "theguardian.com" would match, within the string, anything from that URL base, it does not return results unless the "*" is at the end. Very cumbersome...but at least i know what to do to find what i want!

Thanks much!

• Like 1