Who Am I Sharing With?

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

We've had some personnel changes at my company so I want to update what notes I'm sharing, and with whom. But I can't figure it out.  I open a note (see example) and see the people icon with the number four. It says 4 people can access this note and to click to view permissions. But I just get a dialog box asking if I want to add more people. I can't figure out who those four are. Is there any way of figuring this out?

Share.png

• Like 1
  • Solution
10 minutes ago, RKoreto said:

It says 4 people can access this note and to click to view permissions. But I just get a dialog box asking if I want to add more people. I can't figure out who those four are. Is there any way of figuring this out?

From the look of your screen shot I think you are sharing the note at the notebook level. There are at least two ways of seeing who a notebook is shared with.

1. Select the notebook and then click on the shared icon at the top of the note list

image.png.3782d46db4f52c5f6b5ceced9bf38572.png

2. In the notebook window right click the notebook ans select share notebook (or use the three dots menu)

image.png.34d3fa25e5849fe45ed2cc8206962289.png

It's a bit stupid because if you've shared a note at the notebook level you get the green shared icon with the number of people the note is shared with but if you then click on the icon it looks like a normal unshared note.

You might want to obliterate your email address from the screen shot to prevent spam.

• Thanks 1

I ran into the same issue recently. The next time I quit and restarted it started working again, so perhaps try that?

Separately, do you know a way to find ALL notes that I've shared? I'm quite puzzled that there's only a built-in way to find notes shared with me, but not notes that I have shared. I would think this would be almost as important.

I did find an old / undocumented search term "sharedate:*" which found some notes that I had shared with a public link, but this search term doesn't appear to pull up notes that I've shared with specific individuals.

17 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Separately, do you know a way to find ALL notes that I've shared?

You are right that you can use the search syntax:

sharedate:*

This will not pick up notes shared at the notebook level or individually with specific people. For notebooks there is a column called "shared with" in the main notebook window. If you have shared notes individually I haven't found a way either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
54 minutes ago, Mike P said:

This will not pick up notes shared at the notebook level or individually with specific people. For notebooks there is a column called "shared with" in the main notebook window. If you have shared notes individually I haven't found a way either.

Looking back through very old forum posts on this subject it has always been a problem. One suggestion has been  to tag everything with a "shared" tag. With the green shared icon now visible in the note list it might be feasible (depending on the number of notes shared with specific individuals but not in a shared notebook) as a one off exercise to visually find the notes and tag them. Not ideal I know.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, Mike P said:

Looking back through very old forum posts on this subject it has always been a problem. One suggestion has been  to tag everything with a "shared" tag. With the green shared icon now visible in the note list it might be feasible (depending on the number of notes shared with specific individuals but not in a shared notebook) as a one off exercise to visually find the notes and tag them. Not ideal I know.

Thanks, I may have to do something like that. I'm just baffled that Evernote doesn't provide a way to see all shared notes. Not even via an obscure search! Crazy.

• Like 3