App automatically updated: ignores Android regional format settings and forces American formats instead of British formats, and 'note list' widget is missing!!! (update: more bugs have been discovered)

I think the support live chat may be down, so I'm going to vent my stress in a forum post!!!

The app for Android auto-updated and now I have issues!!!!!

1. Just like in the YouTube app, Evernote now ignores my Android language and regional format settings (from highest to lowest priority: English for Singapore, Australia, and the UK, and French for France), and uses American formats (month before day and 12-hour time) instead of British formats (day before month and 24-hour time)!!!!! This throws me off as someone raised to use Australian formats, before switching to British formats due to influence (only difference with date and time formats being 12 and 24-hour time AFAIK), as there's no 24th or 30th month! (I've seen similar issues in Carousell and Grab, but at least they do write the day before the month in their dates!)

2. The 'note list' widget is missing and all I get is 'Problem loading widget' in Nova Launcher. This is a problem for me as I'd often launch directly into notes from the homepage.

I wish an 'Evernote Legacy' package was available for Android, like I've already been using on Windows to get around issues in the new client like the inability to hide the note panel in the main window!!!

Edited by kbhasi
Updated thread title
  • Like 1

More issues!

3. The ability to clip webpages as just the URLs is missing! I'm now clipping a long article with lots of images (this), and the new Evernote INSISTS on clipping that long, illustration-heavy article! I'd normally set it to capture just the URL in the note body and page title in the note title, but that option is missing!

Screenshot of bug with automatic embeds, where the new Evernote automatically embedded a video inside of a bullet list, to illustrate the bug. Refer to point 4 below for more information.

4. Evernote insists on automatically embedding YouTube videos, even inside bullet and numbered lists!!! Likely inside tables too! This is a huge problem for me as, in some of my notes, I'd have bullet lists with links to videos (in the case of the attached screenshot, a parody of the first video I linked to). The old Evernote handled those just fine, but the new Evernote insists on automatically embedding videos! I have to tap the embed and tap to change it to a link! There's no way to disable automatic embeds, or at least detect if it's inside a table, bullet list, checklist, or numbered list, and not try to embed inside of those!

5. The indent buttons are switched! Why must 'indent in' come before 'indent out', and not after??? I think I need to have a word with Evernote's UX designers. It's very annoying, as in the old Evernote, 'indent in' was placed AFTER 'indent out', not before!!!!

• Like 1

6. No ability to discard note edits. In the old Evernote for Android, pressing the back button dismisses the keyboard as expected, then pressing it again triggers a dialogue that asks if I want to discard changes in or return to editing the note.

7. I can't properly describe this right now, but when selecting an editing option that spawns a pop-up menu, like the blue +, text button, and list button, Evernote dismisses the touch keyboard before opening the menus, which throws me off as I have to tap in the note body to get the keyboard to come back on screen. In the old version, those pop-up menus that I referenced didn't exist.

8. I also can't describe this correctly right now, but with the menu on the "New note" button, the ability to customise which options are in that menu (per device) seems to be missing.

Edited by kbhasi
Forgot to make text bold, and forgot to add additional details for bug 6 in this thread
  • kbhasi changed the title to App automatically updated: ignores Android regional format settings and forces American formats instead of British formats, and 'note list' widget is missing!!! (update: more bugs have been discovered)

9. No ability to access Note History from mobile apps. I know the old app didn't have this either, but I did hear that the reason for the complete app rewrites in the first place is that Evernote wanted to make all of the apps consistent!!

I'm also somewhat glad that both of my tablets are stuck on Android 6 and thus didn't get the update, as it seems to have only been rolled out to Android 10 and 11 users for now.

Another issue. The "bottom menu" for formating (bold, etc) doesn't always open. I've noticed it doesn't appear when using a floating keyboard.

Secondly, on a tablet, I always have the two section view. Notes to the leftand the note displayed on the right. Regardless of the size of the app.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kcoursey said:

Another issue. The "bottom menu" for formating (bold, etc) doesn't always open. I've noticed it doesn't appear when using a floating keyboard.

Secondly, on a tablet, I always have the two section view. Notes to the leftand the note displayed on the right. Regardless of the size of the app.

Ah, interesting!

While trying to reproduce the first issue you mentioned, I came across another bug: I have gestures enabled (and since Sony's Android skin is close to stock Android, I assume the gestures are identical to the Pixel gestures), and when I try to swipe in from the side to go back, the keyboard keeps spawning and along with that, the phone vibrates each time that happens, like the vibration when performing that "back" gesture, but for slightly longer that it feels harsher.

I assume you have a tablet that runs a new enough version of Android, as again, since both of my tablets are stuck on Android 6, so I still get the old version there. This reminds me of how I can't hide the note panel on the new Windows version like I could on the old one.

10. The new Evernote insists on opening links within the app, with a "Done" button being the only button in its in-app Web browser. I can't just open links in Firefox like I could do with the old Evernote!!!

The time/date format works for me correctly in German and French, so I don't know what's going on there.

What do you mean with "hide the note panel in the main window?"

3 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

The time/date format works for me correctly in German and French, so I don't know what's going on there.

What do you mean with "hide the note panel in the main window?"

I'll try to show you what I mean in multiple screenshots.

First, here's Evernote 10.5, but I had to try and edit out the note titles for privacy:

Screenshot_20210303-044845_1.thumb.png.473a47be9c76d549bf2101d42592a3e0.png

Now here's my Android language settings, and note the formats shown in the clock settings (I turned off automatic time just to show the formats):

Screenshot_20210303-045357_1.thumb.png.40fb4ad36893fe8390d4633d8792c4a0.png

Screenshot_20210303-045431_1.thumb.png.66381a993227cba5a8e97e0dac6472c7.png

Here's a stitched screenshot of search results for a newsletter in Microsoft Outlook, to show the correct short date format:

IMG_20210303_050538.thumb.jpg.e33f473f089266d13c774ecfbe4d1904.jpg

The same correct formats are shown in Google Calendar.

For example, Evernote rendered the first reminder date in the screenshot as '06/20/2021, 9:47 PM', but if it actually followed my Android regional format settings, it would've instead displayed '20/06/2021, 21:47'. Likewise, for the second date displayed, it should've displayed that as '26/05/2020, 13:00' instead of '05/26/2020, 1:00 PM'.

For the note panel, I'm referring to the thing on the right in the tablet and desktop versions of Evernote. My laptop isn't on right now, but I may add a screenshot later.

EDIT: I don't have 76 notes. The title should display either 'Reminders (76)' or 'Notes (1,314)'.

Edited by kbhasi
5 hours ago, kbhasi said:

10. The new Evernote insists on opening links within the app, with a "Done" button being the only button in its in-app Web browser. I can't just open links in Firefox like I could do with the old Evernote!!!

Indeed, it's a shame that we have to open the links with Evernote's integrated browser.
It would be nice if Evernote gave back the possibility to choose a browser to open the links.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, kbhasi said:

I'll try to show you what I mean in multiple screenshots.

First, here's Evernote 10.5, but I had to try and edit out the note titles for privacy:

Screenshot_20210303-044845_1.thumb.png.473a47be9c76d549bf2101d42592a3e0.png

Now here's my Android language settings, and note the formats shown in the clock settings (I turned off automatic time just to show the formats):

Screenshot_20210303-045357_1.thumb.png.40fb4ad36893fe8390d4633d8792c4a0.png

Screenshot_20210303-045431_1.thumb.png.66381a993227cba5a8e97e0dac6472c7.png

Here's a stitched screenshot of search results for a newsletter in Microsoft Outlook, to show the correct short date format:

IMG_20210303_050538.thumb.jpg.e33f473f089266d13c774ecfbe4d1904.jpg

The same correct formats are shown in Google Calendar.

For example, Evernote rendered the first reminder date in the screenshot as '06/20/2021, 9:47 PM', but if it actually followed my Android regional format settings, it would've instead displayed '20/06/2021, 21:47'. Likewise, for the second date displayed, it should've displayed that as '26/05/2020, 13:00' instead of '05/26/2020, 1:00 PM'.

For the note panel, I'm referring to the thing on the right in the tablet and desktop versions of Evernote. My laptop isn't on right now, but I may add a screenshot later.

EDIT: I don't have 76 notes. The title should display either 'Reminders (76)' or 'Notes (1,314)'.

Yeah, I understood what you meant. I'm just saying that it formats dates correctly for French and German locales. Could you open a bug about this? 

1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

Yeah, I understood what you meant. I'm just saying that it formats dates correctly for French and German locales. Could you open a bug about this? 

I've a feeling that like on Kobo e-readers, Evernote is selecting formats based on the language alone.

I don't know how to 'open a bug about this'. Do they have some kind of hidden GitHub or GitLab page where I can do so?

12 minutes ago, kbhasi said:

I've a feeling that like on Kobo e-readers, Evernote is selecting formats based on the language alone.

I don't know how to 'open a bug about this'. Do they have some kind of hidden GitHub or GitLab page where I can do so?

This is a user forum. Sometimes Evernote employees post here, but they're not particularly active. You can submit a bug report here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

11. No way to easily pin/stick notes containing tasks (using the new Tasks feature some users are testing) to the homepage. I was able to do so using a workaround, but then tasks become non-interactive.

12. 'New Note' menus aren't consistent across platforms. On the desktop and Web versions, the drop-down contains a list of templates. On the mobile versions, the drop-down contains a list of attachment types to immediately create upon note creation. The new mobile version hasn't rolled out to both of my tablets as they're stuck on Android 6. In both cases, the menus are NOT customisable. Seriously?!?! I thought the whole point of Evernote 10 is to have CONSISTENCY across supported platforms!! I hope the 'New Note' drop-down menu can be customised to not only include attachment types, but also templates, and have those options sync across platforms.