Evernote Widget disappeared on all phones

Doministry

Idea

29 replies to this idea

This just looks like releasing the update before it was ready.  The new widget is available and can still appear if you don't try to customize it (EDIT: I realized I only had 5 actions chosen instead of 6. Once I added another action, I could add the widget).  At least that works on my phone.  If I try to customize it, then the 'Done' button does nothing. There are all sorts of things wrong with it, including placement (cannot center it on my phone which is a not-at-all-rare Pixel 3a) and the dark color option is gone. 

I doubt that widget functionality was entirely 'removed' on purpose, they just had a poor v10 launch and did not test it properly.  It would be great to see an official response from a staff member on here, because many of us woke up today with their widget disappearing and are probably more irritated than I am. :D

(though that will change if Evernote doesn't sort this out in a couple weeks)

• Level 5

There are some of these "to become a working function one day" relicts in the v10 software. One example: You can already add a table to a note in the iOS client, and it will add a 3x3 table. But you can't edit it, you can't add a column, you can only add a new row when you have keyboard with a tab key etc. You can put text or pictures into the cells, and it will reproduce on a desktop client where the table function is implemented.

If you look up the release notes, it says "table editing will be added with a future release".

So we better treat v10 as a work-in-progress. This is not unknown to new software to use this method (working down a backlog of features and fixes, releasing frequently). The problem here is that most of us come from a working per-v10-client, and have phantom pain from amputated features. Let's hope "soon" means real soon ...

• Like 1

After realizing my inability to customize the widget was user error (🙃), I still am not using it for the following reasons:

a) dark theme for the widget has been removed. it makes my dark homescreen way too bright. the fact that it's dark when you customize it and then turns white afterwards without any option to change it makes no sense.

b) cannot center the widget on a Pixel 3a. (though I'd still probably use it if the widget could be dark at least)

BTW if anyone was missing the simple note widget on Android, it was added back in the latest update.

Desapareció hace dos actualizaciones, yo lo he reclamado en otro post, lo he comentado en el soporte, pero no lo han vuelto a poner, la ventana del widget para ver las libretas es muy útil! 

Cuando actualizaron pusieron los widgets para accesos directos, pero falta el que podes ver la libreta en el escritorio 

You must be lucky, because the latest 10.5  update has clearly broken the widget for many of us since at least this past Sunday. It was pushed to my phone last night.

I have no idea what build I had before, but I literally woke up without a widget on my homescreen and can only add the new one without any attempts of customization (EDIT: I realized I only had 5 actions chosen instead of 6. Once I added another action, I could add the widget). All sorts of other problems with it. Somebody screwed up somewhere, but hopefully they will sort it out within a reasonable amount of time.

Same! This has been one of my top apps for 8 years now, but they just took away the widget that made it one of my most used apps - WHILE I was using it. What happened to the larger widget that showed previews of the notes in a particular folder?? I used that widget several times a day. I want that preview, not a bar full of buttons!!

• Like 6

Can confirm that this is also an issue for me too. But the widget fails to load false stop even without customising. On android 10.

I've downgraded to pre version 10 as I struggled in finding a clean 10.4 apk.

Followed instructions on reddit here.

• Like 1

same here... worked whole day on a zapier workflow which i trigger fro the wdiget.. after the day i thought.. o an update..

widget gone!

really really annyoing...

i dont need tables.. i need that damn widget

On 2/24/2021 at 2:05 AM, nonstatic said:

This just looks like releasing the update before it was ready.  The new widget is available and can still appear if you don't try to customize it (EDIT: I realized I only had 5 actions chosen instead of 6. Once I added another action, I could add the widget).  At least that works on my phone.  If I try to customize it, then the 'Done' button does nothing. There are all sorts of things wrong with it, including placement (cannot center it on my phone which is a not-at-all-rare Pixel 3a) and the dark color option is gone. 

I doubt that widget functionality was entirely 'removed' on purpose, they just had a poor v10 launch and did not test it properly.  It would be great to see an official response from a staff member on here, because many of us woke up today with their widget disappearing and are probably more irritated than I am. :D

On 2/24/2021 at 2:05 AM, nonstatic said:

As frustrated as I am, you are probably right.  The fact that there still isn't a decent widget or any explanation from evernote is pretty frustrating though.

We are well into April with no signs of the widget with access to the reminders.

I can't make any sense of why would someone release a beta update with previous functionality out right missing without a notification or anything, this is real poor way of keeping your customers in the loop. The fact that I had to google this up, is an issue on it's own

I am also anxiously waiting for the 4x2 List Widget to return. Being able to scroll my most recently viewed notes and select right from the widget was the best part of Evernote, and the primary reason that I used this service over OneNote. I will not reinstate my Premium membership until the widget is restored.

• Like 2

I definitely agree that they were stupid to get rid of that widget. I don't understand why they didn't make widget a part of their first update rollout. They had to have known that widget was their most popular one.

At this rate, I'm not holding my breath that this will ever be sorted. The app has been getting worse and worse since the rollout, everything takes more time to do in the new version. I do like that they changed audio notes from AMR to AAC for better quality/compatibility, though.

• Like 1