Internal links created by iOS app are shared web links

Internal links created by the iOS app are shared web links (https://www.evernote.com/shard/...) vs. app links (evernote:///view/...) as was the case before version 10.  I don't know who if anyone - other than the user the link might be "shared" with / workable for.  Might there be a security issue here with the "shared" link?

Presently, it seems the iOS app has no workaround "Copy App Link" option as the latest [Windows] desktop app does.

My immediate issue is that when the link is clicked in the [Windows] desktop app, instead of opening in the app, the note opens in a web browser.  To fix this, the link has to be recreated from the desktop app. 

I create and edit notes as much in the iOS app as I do in the desktop app, so this is very inconvenient and frustrating.  Hoping Evernote addresses this one soon!
  • Like 2

I actually opened a ticket about this and it took multiple tries just to get support to understand what I meant. Then they pointed me to a forum post that hadn’t had a new reply since October 🤦🏻‍♂️.

If they’d make the internal web links open in the app on all platforms it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.  But since it doesn’t, I’d at least expect to be able to make the internal app links on iOS just like I can on Mac. 

Another thing I thought was weird is last night I sent an internal app link to a coworker who has access to the note and notebook I linked to. He’s on the free version of Evernote. And he said the link didn’t even work for him. I’m going to follow up today, but that seemed odd to me. 

Hello Folks,

I have found that the "internal links" i create and paste into another note on Evernote V10 for iOS really create URL style links. So when I attempt to follow the link on Windows V10 the destination note will open in the web browser version of Evernote. This is not desirable. Links between notes should be quick and behave the same between platforms.

If I create the "internal link" on Windows V10 Evernote, rather than create a "web link", then I get the behavior I'm used to, across platforms. There is an extra click required to tell the Chrome browser on iOS to open the link in Evernote, if the Internal link is embedded in a non-Evernote application (e.g. Leankit Kanban"), but this is pretty painless.

So, the workflow I've fallen into, is to create notes on all platforms, but to do my note linking only on Evernote V10 for Windows where it seems I can create a non-url style link using the "internal link" functionality and paste this into another note or application.

This is not ideal, as I would like to be able to link notes wherever I am, not just while working on my Windows platform.

In the meantime, is there some kind of add-in for Chrome on the Windows platform that would somehow re-direct a URL style link in Chrome to open in the Windows V10 Evernote application instead?? This is not a great work-around as it would cause these URL-style "internal links" to proliferate.

-- John

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
I did create a bit of a work-around. I used the free add-in for Chrome (and Firefox) called Requestly.io to have the URL format re-directed to the “evernote:///“ format early in opening in chrome. The only pain here is the browser prompts to be sure I want to redirect to the Desktop App. It’s an additional click which I can’t seem to get. Message me to get. The pop-up dialog is supposed to have a box you can check if you'd like to avoid future warnings, but I never see the box, despite trying some registry edits I found via Google.
image.thumb.png.f06cc0868e94fc4513ddccf9c6558dcd.png
image.thumb.png.1a9b3a381f12bd352ae570703f3bd4e7.png
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Kind of a weird fix. If you're on desktop, you can "copy link" (which actually copies the real internal link "evernote:///view/...") even though the link is a web link.  You then just "edit link" and paste what you just copied and now you have the link you wanted in the first place.  It's annoying but an easy fix when the link shows up blue instead of green.

• Level 5

Two years later, does the problem even still exist?? In desktop apps and the Web client one is always offered the choice between Web link and app link. In Android, though the link created is the evernote.com/shard type, it still opens in the Android app. Can't speak to iOS, which is what this thread was originally about.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:29 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Two years later, does the problem even still exist?? In desktop apps and the Web client one is always offered the choice between Web link and app link. In Android, though the link created is the evernote.com/shard type, it still opens in the Android app. Can't speak to iOS, which is what this thread was originally about.

It's a problem in that copying and then inserting an "internal link" on mobile opens up in the web browser when that link is clicked on desktop. I prefer all my links to open in the app and it's a little irritating to not be able to create and insert links from the Android app that will always open on the desktop app.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Paul A. said:

It's a problem in that copying and then inserting an "internal link" on mobile opens up in the web browser when that link is clicked on desktop. I prefer all my links to open in the app and it's a little irritating to not be able to create and insert links from the Android app that will always open on the desktop app.

Thanks, that's helpful. I do find the same thing, and I do prefer to have links open in the app, so I know what you mean. I guess I just haven't had it happen very often, if ever. I must not insert "internal links" in the Android app very much. Is @raj goel's workaround helpful for you? I'm not sure I quite followed what he was suggesting.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, raj goel said:

Kind of a weird fix. If you're on desktop, you can "copy link" (which actually copies the real internal link "evernote:///view/...") even though the link is a web link.  You then just "edit link" and paste what you just copied and now you have the link you wanted in the first place.  It's annoying but an easy fix when the link shows up blue instead of green.

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, that's helpful. I do find the same thing, and I do prefer to have links open in the app, so I know what you mean. I guess I just haven't had it happen very often, if ever. I must not insert "internal links" in the Android app very much. Is @raj goel's workaround helpful for you? I'm not sure I quite followed what he was suggesting.

I was unable to recreate his workaround.

Raj, could you provide some more detail to recreate your steps? What are you copying on desktop? If I copy the link that was created on Android, it just pastes the exact same https:// web link when I paste again.