iOS Offline does not work! I'm so stinking tired of this....

After finally getting my offline folders all downloaded - it took over two months (yes, months).... - I now had an opportunity to try them out last night. Nothing loaded. I had a blank screen past the elephant head logo. I had a few menu items, but when I went to find my offline folders NOTHING was listed.... I could do absolutely nothing! I'm so tired of this. I pay good money because Evernote is such a vital part of my life. As soon as I could get back online, then Evernote loaded properly and then my offline folders worked again. What's the point of offline folders if they don't work when you are offline????

See attached screen shots.... All loaded normally once the online reception was reinstated.... 

1097546086_Evernote2.thumb.jpg.c52eb43e2ed626ae7843bf34f9998f2f.jpg1300406730_Evernote1.thumb.jpg.d78e84c4ed7971984605c29137de3f95.jpg

• Level 5

Version ?

Download and automatic update works fine for me since EN iOS 10.5

Downloading of appr. 16GB of notes took less than 24hrs (on a good WiFi plus Internet), iPad switched to autolockscreen = never, iPad on charger. It worked with "All notebooks" selected for the first time without stalling. You can check how much was downloaded in the iOS settings, iPad (iPhone) memory, EN app, app data.

If you still have a problem: Uninstall the app, select "Dump all data" (yes this hurts, but if the existing data base is from prior versions, it is probably containing corrupted content, and will stop the new stuff from working). After the uninstall, switch the iPad completely off, on again (Apple logo must show), then reinstall the app and log in. Now wait until the initial sync has gone through.

Now go to EN iOS settings, notebooks, select "all notebooks" for offline download, set the autolockscreen to never, put it to a charger and let it download.

• Like 1

Um.... This isn't about whether the downloads were done or not, they finally did. I'm a very slow internet connection at home. This is about once they are downloaded and I fired up EN 10.5, nothing loaded on my screen - nothing. Check the screen shots.... Once I got an internet connection they all loaded even my so-called offline notes. I'm not a newbie here. I've been using Evernote since 2009. But I am saying that their dependence upon a connection is really frustrating.

• Level 5

About the internet connection: That can make a difference - I am on a Gigabit cable internet link, which really does deliver gigabit speed in the download.With WiFi appr. 500-600 Mbit/s are left. So for my download, bandwidth is no issue. But it does not use it, the database action on the i-device is much slower than that.

As long as there is an internet connection, the offline content will not be used, it will not even show. EN will then use server data.

If you want to see offline content, you go to the normal view.

Now switch the iPad to flight mode, which cuts wifi and mobile data. The previews and title data may still show, even when not downloaded. But the content will not show if you open a note.

Anything left ? Try to open notes to see if the content is there.

Try a search on content you know must be there - does find any note ? Is the content available ?

My notes list looks in flight mode as in online mode, and I can open notes and content as if online. Just when I try to sync, it will tell me I am currently offline.

IMG_0169.jpeg.1ed802a61dec41569193d411b621cece.jpeg

This is how the offline notebook settings page looks on my iPhone - the green progress bars below some notebook mean that there is an update download currently active, to add new content. It will disappear when the update was done.

IMG_0167.thumb.JPG.580cf745d79bee6e33b848ab962c8b59.JPG

Yeah. I’m aware of all that. Thank you for the details though. But as my picture shows when I was in airplane mode and fired up EN nothing was on the screen but blackness. Nothing. Most of the time it works fine. But this time it did not. I have not been able to replicate it every time yet, but when it randomly happens it is very frustrating. I believe it has to do with the way the iPhone handles what is stored in memory short term. But EN should make this data permanently downloaded. 

• Level 5

7.2GB is more than any cache will take. Even without offline data, there will be some notes data downloaded. Mainly titles, a little text and Thumbnails (probably).

So there is data, but maybe you have an accessibility problem.

From here I think it is a case for support to help sort it out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, rogw said:

Yeah. I’m aware of all that. Thank you for the details though. But as my picture shows when I was in airplane mode and fired up EN nothing was on the screen but blackness. Nothing. Most of the time it works fine. But this time it did not. I have not been able to replicate it every time yet, but when it randomly happens it is very frustrating. I believe it has to do with the way the iPhone handles what is stored in memory short term. But EN should make this data permanently downloaded. 

I saw this behavior today, too. I was in flight mode and after opening the App, everything was gone - no Favorites, no Notebooks, no nothing.

I found a position in the area with at least Edge mobile internet - re-opened Evernote and with poor speed suddenly all Favorites and Notebooks were back.

After turning on Flight Mode again, Evernote did continue to work - after force quit and re-start, still in Flight Mode, everything was fine, too.

So, without this small and poor mobile connection it seems I'd have trouble to get Evernote working properly today...

Yes, I'm having this same problem in iOS app AND the macOS app. They simply are very unreliable (at best) when I am offline, traveling with no connection and it is uncalled for. Then when I write customer service, I get odd automated replies talking about local notebooks. Huh? I'm talking about no internet.... Thanks stocky2605 for verifying that I'm not the idiot here.... 🙂 I'm pretty frustrated and about ready to move on. Too bad, EN has been a great product. I'll stick around for now, as long as the legacy app works on my computer, but then I'm likely going to be gone.... unless they fix the new versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

When everything is downloaded to „offline“ notebooks, the feature works reliably and with an incredibly fast search on iOS devices. I like it better than the „keep content“ switch on the v10 desktop client. First it allows to select the notebooks to download for offline use, and second one can force a sync of the iOS client at any time.

See above about downloading (will not work in the background), and how to see if it is done. It automatically updates new content to the offline database - you see a green-grey bar in notebook view below the notebook as long as it is still updating.

When going offline, iOS is the way to go at the moment !

Agree. It took over two months to get my data d/l’d into offline iOS though. Now we are basically good. Some glitches still. I’m being taught patience I think. 

• Level 5

To download quick, the app needs to run permanently in the foreground. To achieve this, turn the autolockscreen in iOS settings to never, open the EN app, check that it is set to downloading what you want and keep it in the foreground, dim the screen and put the phone to a charger. And let it run ...

My last full download took less than 12hrs for more than 6.000 notes and 19GB of data. I don’t know exactly, because it ran during the night and terminated while I was sleeping.

If it downloads during normal use, iOS will deactivate the app always a short time after it was pushed to the background. This is iOS standard and meant to conserve the battery charge. This will throttle download to a crawl, because most of the time there is no download at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded to the 10x version of EN on iOS, figuring I may as well learn the new version since I’m just beginning to do more with the app. But the offline issue is a real problem for me. I live in a rural area with NO broadband service. The only internet is via cellular hotspot, which has limited data. Without being online, I can’t see downloaded notes. I need to go back to the old iOS version, but can’t find it in the App Store. How do I go back?