Not transform a checkbox to a checklist when hitting "Enter"

nonobio

Idea

Hello,

If i hit "enter" on a line with a checkbox, it is converted into a checklist :

2021-02-17_17-49-26.gif.15791046c8787f0fcaa00f699146c185.gif

I don't know why. If i choose a checkbox over a checklist, there is reasons (no strikethought when checked for instance), and i don't want it to be converted to a checklist automaticly.

I found a workaround by hiting SHIFT + ENTER, but i have to think about that.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 replies to this idea

There has been lots of discussion about this. Any line beginning with a checkbox will be converted into a checklist. I'm not sure EN are going to change their mind on that. The trick is not to begin the line with a checkbox. I like check lists and normally they are fine for what I need - Iparticularly like the ability to drag the lines around to reorder them. If I do need a checkbox at the beginning of a line I simply type the three characters <space>[] at the beginning of each line.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

11 hours ago, Mike P said:

Any line beginning with a checkbox will be converted into a checklist.

But why this choice ? I don't understand. If i put a checkbox..., it is because i want a checkbox ;) .

11 hours ago, Mike P said:

If I do need a checkbox at the beginning of a line I simply type the three characters <space>[] at the beginning of each line.

Yes and i created a automation action to add brakets quicker, but :

If i insert checkbox with Insert menu on a line and with space + bracket on another, checkbox aren't aligned :

2021-02-18_08-32-09.gif.9bc049b9f54ab0a2c75ed4da8f741566.gif

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, nonobio said:

If i insert checkbox with Insert menu on a line and with space + bracket on another, checkbox aren't aligned :

I don't think it is a good idea to mix systems. Use one or the other. If you press space and then the insert checkbox button they will align.

I agree but i have the same issue when i have existing checkbox (from notes before v10) and want to add new lines : it isn't aligned.

But i think the real solution will be to not have to add a space before brackets at the beggining of a line...

Oh lord, I am having such an issue with this. In theory the distinction between checkboxes and checklists sounds great, in practice I get a lot of checkbox lists converted into checklists, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I DON'T WANT!!!

I have multiple notes comprised of ordered or unordered lists on multiple levels of indentation and some of the lines also have checks - this worked extremely well for me, I could have a text line with a bullet and also a checkbox and when I checked the box, the text would remain visible, not strikethrough and greyed out - that is until version 10 came out, when they introduced the checklist/checkbox distinction. Don't get me wrong, I understand the utility of checklists and greying and cutting the text, I just don't use that, I use the what's called now checkbox feature, HOWEVER if I have a bulleted list that has checkboxes on all lines, the app automatically converts that list to a checklist. Conversely, if I reformat that list to bulleted and then add another line to the list without a checkbox, the rest of the lines retain their checkbox, the list isn't converted to a checklist.

Please please PLEASE STOP DOING THAT AUTO CORRECTION! I want checkboxes FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

YES PLEASE:

yes.jpg

NOOO, STAAAHP:

NO.jpg

Edited by kaleid
added texts to each image
On 2/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, kaleid said:

Conversely, if I reformat that list to bulleted and then add another line to the list without a checkbox, the rest of the lines retain their checkbox, the list isn't converted to a checklist.

Useful trick. It's a shame that the [] shortcut forces the list to a check list and you have to use the insert menu to add the checkbox. Also works for a numbered list (or even a checklist!). I like checklists but when I do want checkboxes at the beginning of a line this gives me a second option along with <space>[] with the added advantage that I can drag items around to reorder them.

I think if checklists had options (to indent or not and to cross out or not) many people would be happier with them.

This is a real headache. All of my former checklists now function the opposite way I need them to (I need them as newly coined check boxes). Can I easily convert them?

On the Windows desktop app, check lists and check boxes are in two completely different menus, which makes no sense. And creating a list of check boxes is unduly tricky - requiring shift-enter at the end of every line. If you forget, the entire list is converted to a check list.

Why is check list EN's default vs. check box?
Why not have just one list style and offer each user the option of crossing out and dimming the font or not?

One is a ToDo list, one is a Done list. A Shopping list is really a third type, where the list is persistent and you check what you need to buy.

• Level 5

Hi, to avoid even more headache, change your forum user to one that is not your mail address. Else you may get more spam, and maybe worse.

For your problem, create a template or a note you use as a template (by copying it when you use it) with the pristine checklist. Draw a copy when you need it, and use the copy.