Bad update

TheWoolf

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, TheWoolf said:

The latest update to Evernote for Windows has made virtually impossible to simply create a new note and edit it; it is now impossible to give a note a title.

Can you give steps to reproduce this? I create new notes and give them titles everyday.  There are plenty of issues but from what you describe I can't say that this is one of them. But perhaps I work differently to you...

41 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Can you give steps to reproduce this? I create new notes and give them titles everyday.  There are plenty of issues but from what you describe I can't say that this is one of them. But perhaps I work differently to you...

Very simply, I click on "+ New Note" (green button, top right-hand corner) and a blank note is created, which I cannot edit in any way.

• Evernote Expert
34 minutes ago, TheWoolf said:

Very simply, I click on "+ New Note" (green button, top right-hand corner) and a blank note is created, which I cannot edit in any way.

This sounds like one of the variations of the blank note issue that has been well discussed.  If this happens have you tried File | Quit and then restart to see if you can then edit the note?

If this is happening all the time, with every note that you create then I'd do a complete uninstall/reinstall. Be sure to delete the data directory as well. That will cause the program to be reinstalled and the data directory will be recreated. I believe that has been a solution for some.

If the issue is only occasional then you are probably suffering the blank note issue that affects quite a few users. For me, it happens roughly once a day so I can tolerate one Quit/Restart each day.  If it was more frequent then I'd revert to the legacy version of the program and use that reliably as before.

As a Premium user you could also raise a support ticket.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TheWoolf said:

The latest update to Evernote for Windows has made virtually impossible to simply create a new note and edit it; it is now impossible to give a note a title.

Why take a brilliant and hugely useful tool and ruin it??

Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall? I'm running the new Windows on a super old computer and it's working fine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall? I'm running the new Windows on a super old computer and it's working fine.

Uninstall and reinstall should never ever be a solution when issues occure in software... You don't break down your house when your window is broken. Yes i know this solves 90% of issues, but it is almost a default response in v10... And install legacy version.. 

😒 It's a sad day in Evernote happy cloud... 

21 minutes ago, ArjenC said:

Uninstall and reinstall should never ever be a solution when issues occure in software... You don't break down your house when your window is broken. Yes i know this solves 90% of issues, but it is almost a default response in v10... And install legacy version.. 

😒 It's a sad day in Evernote happy cloud... 

I agree. Just saying it might help. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Who says that uninstalling and reinstalling would not be a valid approach to sort out a problem that can be fixed by doing so ?

This is nothing specific for EN - there even exist special apps for both Windows and Mac that perform a „thorough“ uninstall, catching all sort of program parts, settings and app data and removing it from the target computer.

Obviously there is a need to do a clear uninstall of a specific program, be it to finally remove it from a computer, or to replace it by another version. These apps would not exist if this would only happen with EN.

EN is especially well tuned for this sort of exercise, because the user data is in the master copy on the cloud server. Sure, there may be corrupted local content that did not make it to the server, but removing it is part of the solution, not of the problem.

For me stating that it would be „unusual“ to solve a certain type of problems by clean un- / reinstalling is another example for a sort of hysteria some people seem to be spreading here in the forum. No better solution is offered - this is plainly bad advise.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I had a VPN problem recently - couldn't connect to anything after an update.  Whilst some might think that's not a bad thing,  I was able to use another device to get hold of their support.  Guess what the first suggestion was...  just sayin.  Fixed is better than perfect.  😎

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I had a VPN problem recently - couldn't connect to anything after an update.  Whilst some might think that's not a bad thing,  I was able to use another device to get hold of their support.  Guess what the first suggestion was...  just sayin.  Fixed is better than perfect.  😎

Working is better than fixed.  😜

Reminds me of Start the Revolution without me.

https://youtu.be/tueW-r1x_FM

• Like 1