Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote.

Go to solution Solved by Blackjazz,

The title of this topic is the message I see when I try to run the Evernote program on my Windows 10 machines.

Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote.

Needless to say, I've tried restarting but the same thing happens.

I've tried uninstalling and installing again. Today I downloaded and installed version 10.8.4, build 2349. At the time of writing, that's the latest - same problem.

I've tried running Evernote as a local administrator.

I can access content using a browser, but I much prefer to use the program.

I'm paying for this. Can somebody please help?

• Like 2
  • Solution

The first attempt to solve this was to install the latest version of Evernote, 10.8.5, but this didn't help.

I passed some logs to Evernote support and they said I needed to install the latest version, but when I checked, the latest version was the one already installed.

I was then asked to do the following:

1. Go to the browser interface and check that everything is up to date. (Not easy for me, since I have nearly 2,000 notes. But I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and it seemed to be all there.)
  2. Click the search icon on the Windows task bar (next to the start button) and search for: %appdata%
  3. Hit return or click on what it found, which launches File Explorer in my AppData\Roaming folder.
  4. Delete the folder called Evernote. (I zipped it up first and put it somewhere safe, just in case.)
  5. Launch Evernote - I needed to look up my Evernote username and password to sign in.
  6. It took a few seconds to download all the notes, but it worked.

Looks like this problem was a data migration issue.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 2/25/2021 at 1:02 AM, Blackjazz said:

The first attempt to solve this was to install the latest version of Evernote, 10.8.5, but this didn't help.

I passed some logs to Evernote support and they said I needed to install the latest version, but when I checked, the latest version was the one already installed.

1. Go to the browser interface and check that everything is up to date. (Not easy for me, since I have nearly 2,000 notes. But I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and it seemed to be all there.)
  2. Click the search icon on the Windows task bar (next to the start button) and search for: %appdata%
  3. Hit return or click on what it found, which launches File Explorer in my AppData\Roaming folder.
  4. Delete the folder called Evernote. (I zipped it up first and put it somewhere safe, just in case.)
  5. Launch Evernote - I needed to look up my Evernote username and password to sign in.

Is there a solution for Mac aswell?

• Like 1

Sorry - it wasn't a problem for me on my Mac.

If you have the same problem, I guess you have to do something similar...

Check everything is online, find where it stores its data (which I guess is in your home directory), create an archive of it somehow (I would use tar), put the archive somewhere safe and delete the data. Then run Evernote again and sign in.

• Level 5

The method described is equal to make a full uninstall of the old version. There are tools for both Mac (App Cleaner) and Windows (for example Revo Uninstaller).

Just make sure to uninstall everything, not only what the uninstaller proposes.

And be careful: If you uninstall legacy (or older) by using it, local notebooks will vanish. Make sure to have a backup of these.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:02 AM, Blackjazz said:

This worked for me also. version 10.11.5 

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2021 at 7:02 PM, Blackjazz said:

Worked perfectly! I did that and then reinstalled, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Worked like a charm!👏 Thanks a bunch! Lifesaver!

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

You can try as well to uncheck the option „Keep data when leaving“ in EN preferences, menu Evernote on the Mac / File menu on Windows. Then log out, quit the app (not only closing it by the „X“) and to be on the safe side restart the computer.

Then open the app, log in.

This avoids manually deleting folders in the Macs data structure, and does the job most of the time as well.

• 4 weeks later...

On the Mac, uninstalling the app from Applications, accepting all of the also remove suggestions from Hazel, searching for "evernote" in the Finder under the ~/Library directory and removing them, basically killing Evernote with fire. And then a re-install. Seems to be working fine now.

• Level 5

Uninstalling this way may work, but it is easy to overlook a small but important data snipped somewhere.

It is much easier to get the app AppCleaner for free from the web, and use it to uninstall any app, including EN.

By default it will show all components, but check only the program elements for uninstalling, leaving all settings and data intact. This often leads to the same problems. By checking everything for uninstalling, the computer is really cleaned, and the reinstall usually works.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome! Thanks! It worked after months of postpoing ("don't have time for that!") Thank you very much!

• Level 5

Real support costs real money. It is because there are real people working there.

But you expect for you they should work an extra hour without pay ?

Just look at it another way: Where you get everything for FREE, it is because they use YOUR data to make a buck, and YOU are the product they sell.

EN has only one source of income: Users subscriptions - because they don’t sell our data. Even not if you are on a free account.

I'm glad that the solution I posted in this thread has helped other people with the same problem, but let's be clear about something... I didn't come up with the solution. It came from Evernote support. Three cheers to them!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I havent been able to use Evernote for MONTHS. 
I get this message every time:

I'm on MAC OS on the latest update, as well as evernote's latest update.
Please help.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:02 AM, Blackjazz said:

I've tried this and I'm still getting the same 'Sorry...' message

• Level 5

The solution posted is several months old. Maybe there have been changes since.

You could try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote
  • 1 year later...