Switch between open windows shortcut not working anymore...

Hello - I used to be able to switch between open windows in Evernote using the shortcut "cmd ~" (similar to other apps) but it's stopped working recently. Maybe started after the latest update?

Anything I can do to resolve this? I used to use this shortcut to navigate all the time

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Same problem on my new MacBook Pro, but it suddenly started working on my old MacBook Air only, on v10.9.10 (I'm 90% sure it wasn't working before).

This is a vital universal Mac keyboard shortcut 'Move focus to next window', which works in every other application, including the old Evernote.

Could there be a difference between Mac App Store and Direct Download versions?

I've checked Mac Preferences and keyboard shortcuts, but can't find any reason so far.  All other keyboard shortcuts seem to be working.

Differences between the 2 Mac's that might explain it:

1) Works on MacBook Air, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, no Touch Bar.

2) Fails on MacBook Pro (M1 chip), macOS Big Sur 11.2.3, Touch Bar

3) Same EN version, but different software BUILDS :

10.9.10-mac-mas-public (458488).   <---  NOT WORKING from Mac App Store
Editor: v119.1.15375. Service: v1.30.2
10.9.10-mac-ddl-public (2439).         <---    WORKING (I think this is Direct Download)
Editor: v119.1.15375.  Service: v1.30.2

I also have a Mac Mini, NOT working, on Mac Mojave 10.14.6.

10.8.6-mac-mas-public (458469)      <---  NOT WORKING from Mac App Store
Editor: v118.1.15148.  Service: v1.28.5

10.9.10-mac-mas-public (458488).    <---  NOT WORKING from Mac App Store
Editor: v119.1.15375.  Service: v1.30.2

Strictly speaking, Apple describe the shortcut as Cmd ` (accent), because ~ is the shifted version of the key.

• Level 5

The AppStore versions are know to behave differently from the direct download - they run in a sandbox, which shields the OS and other apps from the one running inside of the sandbox. Maybe this explains why in one case the shortcut is carried over to the OS level, and in the other case not.

For me this would be a nice case for a support ticket.

P.S. Personally I prefer the direct version.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The AppStore versions are know to behave differently from the direct download - they run in a sandbox, which shields the OS and other apps from the one running inside of the sandbox. Maybe this explains why in one case the shortcut is carried over to the OS level, and in the other case not.

For me this would be a nice case for a support ticket.

P.S. Personally I prefer the direct version.

That's very interesting, thanks - but it can't be an Apple restriction, because other apps work fine - it must be EN. 
I tend to use the app store to support Apple because I know they're short of money, because the updating should be more automatic, but I think Evernote might have cracked that now anyway.

• Level 5

EN has a lot of shortcuts, probably more than other apps. The risk of interference is larger. So I think the difference is really sandboxed / AppStore vs. direct download. I use the direct since years now, because I had problems with the AppStore version then.

Updating is pretty solid with EN - they will tell you when opening the app, plus there is an easy update menu item in the help menu.