.PDF file extension no longer included in scanned PDFs

I noticed that the PDFs that I'm scanning into Evernote (I use a ScanSnap iX500) are no longer saving with a .PDF extension.

I can confirm this when I turn around and try and save the file from Evernote back to Windows and I choose "Save As...". The file name field will prefill but there is no file extension.

I am not certain if this is related but I recently started using the new Evernote desktop client.

I re-installed Evernote Legacy to troubleshoot and the same is true.

Is there a way to force file extensions to be included in Evernote file attachments?

save as.png

rename file.png

With  Evernote 10.8.4, I have the exact same problem. Even had it with the prior v10 release. 

This is strange because the same file that is stored in the c:\users\.....\pictures folder 'does' have the proper .pdf extension.

No issues with my Legacy version running on another machine.

• Evernote Expert

This seems to be a new issue with the newest version of Evernote 10.  I didn't have this previously but it has appeared with v10.8.5 - possibly 10.8.4 - I wasn't watching ;)

I'll open a support ticket. You might do the same.

I opened a Support Ticket with Evernote, and just heard back from them...

The .PDF extension for scanned documents  is considered a 'feature' than has not been implemented yet in v10. I must say, I'm very impressed with EN Support's quick response with an honest and direct reply. 

Here is the response I received:

Hello Bernard,

Thank you for for contacting Evernote Support.

I understand you're looking for the PDF extension on scanned PDF files. I'm more than happy to help you.

I've reviewed our files and confirmed that this 'feature' is not yet available on the new Evernote app. This feature is working on the legacy version of the app but has not been yet implemented on the new version. Thank you for letting us know how important this 'feature' is to you. I'll be sharing this information to our product team for further reviews.

Should you have any other concerns, please let us know.

Warm regards,

Ed A.
Customer Support Representative

• Evernote Expert

Interestingly, my ticket has generated a request for more diagnostic data... I will supply it. I'm also considering rolling back ScanSnap Manager to an earlier version.

A Mac user told me she doesn't have the issue using ScanSnap Home. What version of ScanSnap Manager is everyone using? I have version 7.1

• Evernote Expert

A little more diagnostic information...

All documents that are scanned into Evernote 10 have the file suffix removed.
All documents sent to Evernote as a right-click | sendto Evernote 10 also have their suffix stripped (I have a senbdto shortcut set up in Windows)
Any document that is dragged from the desktop and dropped into Evernote 10 retains its suffix
Any document that inserted via the blue + button also retains the file suffix
Any document scanned to the legacy version retains the file suffix

The fact that the issue is the same with the sendto use means, I think, that this is not an issue with the ScanSnap software

It is possible to add the file suffix by right click, rename.

I'm told that Mac documents don't use the file suffix to manage applications that open the file. Could this be something missed developing on a Mac for common code with Windows (which does require the suffix to link with the connected program)?

@gbarry @Austin G @Shane D.

I  have this problem with Evernote v10 when I scan with ScanSnap S1300 scanner using ScanSnap Manager V7.1 L25 on my Windows 10 32-bit machine. 

I do not have this problem with Evernote Legacy and ScanSnap Manager V7.1 L25.

I do not have this problem when I scan documents from my iPhone X and send directly to Evernote. 

I'm using a Scansnap ix-1600 scanner with the latest versions of ScanSnap Home and Evernote. I am able to scan a document to an external drive using the 'Scan to File' setting as a PDF, and import the file into Evernote as a workaround. Very much a kludge but it works for now

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 2/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, Kelster721 said:

When will this be fixed?

Not any time soon. It has only just come to light. It will no doubt go onto the list of many things needing attention.  In the meantime, when you need to be able to access a document with the file suffix, my quickest workaround is right click on the document, choose rename, add the suffix to the end of the filname and save.

Mostly I don't NEED the file suffix so I just do it when it is necessary.

• Evernote Expert

Some more diagnostic information... I spent a few minutes today and took Evernote 10 back in time. I had to go back to v10.3.7 to find a version that retained the file suffix after scanning (or for that matter dragging a document onto the Evernote desktop icon or via sendto link).

v10.3.7 was the last version that created an individual import folder for each scanned item. We all celebrated when v10.4 came along and scanned into the default notebook but perhaps in our excitement didn't notice the loss of the file suffix.

I have a support ticket open and the advice so far is to use the ScanSnap Home method rather ScanSnap Manager but this doesn't work either scanning locally. The most recent version available doesn't scan to the cloud but scans via a local application so the same issue arises. Older versions of ScanSnap Home had a connection to the cloud directly and might have done the trick but, of course, would require a live Internet connection when scanning.

I'm anticpating that, unless fixed, this will be an issue when the promised Import Folders return. I do find that a proof of concept that I have with Evernote 10 which allows me to create a form of import folder does work to retain the file suffix. I use Zapier and Dropbox to connect to Evernote cloud. So, scan to a designated Dropbox folder causes an upload to Evernote cloud which predicatably retains the file suffix.

On 2/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, agsteele said:

Not any time soon. It has only just come to light. It will no doubt go onto the list of many things needing attention.  In the meantime, when you need to be able to access a document with the file suffix, my quickest workaround is right click on the document, choose rename, add the suffix to the end of the filname and save.

As of this morning, scanned documents can be opened within Evernote with Foxit PhantomPDF on my Windows 10 system.

The only change noted is Windows Update February 24, 2021-KB4601554 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows Server, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows Server, version 20H2

Not ready to declare victory just yet

A few observations that may or may not help:

• This is not unique to pdf files. Some images also do not have extension information - particularly those obtained by using the webclipper to obtain a screen shot
  • A pdf file with no extension on my computer does have an extension when I download it from the web version of Evernote
  • Files are stored locally on your computer without an extension. EN relies on the associated "MIME file" to give the extension.   See C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\UserXXXXX
  • Evernote Expert

Thanks @Mike P I noted that the web version is clever enough to add the file suffix back onto the document.  The problem is that Windows requires a suffix to know which application is required to open the file.

With images and PDFs Evernote displays the content internally.  If you have attached a Word or Excel file by a sendto link or dropping on the desktop icon then the loss of the suffix means that it is not linked to an application to open it.  I fear that when Import Folders arrive the file suffixes will be dropped with regularity. Likewise with a PDF but at least Evernote shows the content inside the note even if the right click / open dialogue doesn't open in the external application.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2021 at 10:51 AM, agsteele said:

As of this morning, scanned documents can be opened within Evernote with Foxit PhantomPDF on my Windows 10 system.

The only change noted is Windows Update February 24, 2021-KB4601554 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 2004, Windows Server, version 2004, Windows 10, version 20H2, and Windows Server, version 20H2

Not ready to declare victory just yet

• Evernote Expert

After a number of exchanges on my support ticket this issue was escalated and I have this response from Evernote:

We are currently aware of this issue, and although I don't have an ETA of when it will be resolved, I can assure you we're working diligently to fix it. As a workaround, I recommend that you rename the file in Evernote with its extension, and then you can open it in the assigned app.

1. Select the attachment and click on the 3 dots on the top of the attachment. or right click over it.
  2. Select Rename
  3. Add the file extension to it
  4. Save

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
37 minutes ago, Kelster721 said:

Documents are now scanning with .pdf extensions and can be opened within Evernote using Foxit PhantomPDf

Really pleased to hear its working for you. Can you share your  process? Nothing has changed for me, and neither would I expect it without an update released. So if it is working for you something is set up differently for you than me and those who have the experience.  If you could share how you get stuff scanned into Evernote - including scanner software configuration that might be a real help.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

Really pleased to hear its working for you. Can you share your  process? Nothing has changed for me, and neither would I expect it without an update released. So if it is working for you something is set up differently for you than me and those who have the experience.  If you could share how you get stuff scanned into Evernote - including scanner software configuration that might be a real help.

Thanks in advance.

This is my current configuration running on a 64 bit Windows 10 Dell XPS-15:

• Evernote10.8.5-win-ddl-public (2367) Editor: v118.1.15148 Service: v1.28.5
  • ScanSnap i600
  • February 22  ScanSnap Home for Windows 2.0.30 Release Modifications from 2.0.20 to 2.0.30 Corrected issues: Fixed vulnerabilities & Minor bugs have been fixed.
My best guess is that the ScanSnap Home 2/22/2021 update was the cure
8 hours ago, agsteele said:

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Kelster721 said:

After scanning 5 consecutive documents into Evernote this afternoon, ScanSnap Home stopped transferring them to the ScanSnap Cloud and Evernote. SMH

Uninstalling and reinstalling ScanSnap Home has solved the scanning problem for the moment

• Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, Kelster721 said:

Uninstalling and reinstalling ScanSnap Home has solved the scanning problem for the moment

I don't use ScanSnap Home but I did try v2.0.30 a week or so back with no success. Could I be really cheeky and ask to know your specific configuration for the ScanSnap software?  Happy to do this conversation in private.  We can always share the final result once we know it works for both of us...

Ich nutze scansnap. Bis zur neuen Version von Evernote wurden die scans unter "Eingescannte Dokumente" abgelegt, wo sie leicht zu finden waren. Jetzt werden sie unter einer kryptischen Nummer in Notizen abgelegt - nahezu unauffindbar. Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, das Zielverzeichnis des Scans generell festzulegen? Wenn nicht: bitte den alten Zustand wieder herstellen.

I use scansnap. Until the new version of Evernote the scans got automatically saved into "Scanned Documents", where they were easy to find. Now they get a cryptic number and are saved to "Notizen" - nearly not to be found. Is there an opportunity to direct the scans to the "scanned documents"-folder? If not, please fix this.