Note List Thumbnails not Updating

I originally raised this by replying to a thread I found using search, unfortunately it was in the Mac issues forum - only just noticed that 😏

I appear to have found a bug in my Windows 10 app. This has only started happening recently for me, since the v10 upgrade as far as I remember....

I deleted a picture from a note and replaced it with a new one. The new picture is shown on the note but the thumbnail in the note list reverts to the old picture when it refreshes.

I found a workaround.... I duplicated the note and all was well there, it is just the original note that has the problem.

There is no problem in the note list on my Android tablet, it refreshed correctly.

Screen shots of both attached

This is a pain as I use the thumbnails to visually search for the note I am looking for

10.8.4-win-ddl-public (2349)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

Windows Evernote.jpg

Android Evernote.jpg

Edited by BikerDon
Minor change to text

7 hours ago, BikerDon said:

I deleted a picture from a note and replaced it with a new one. The new picture is shown on the note but the thumbnail in the note list reverts to the old picture when it refreshes.

There are long standing issues with preview images. See for example:

It frustrates me that there are so many issues with images across the board. Thinking everything is OK and then coming back to find it changed is particularly annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

I have a support ticket for this issue.  It was acknowledged as an issue and passed over to the folk working on the code.  It is connected to the local storage of note resources in Evernote 10. I fixed it for one note when I was trying to workin out what was wrong by deleting all the data and reloading from the server. One of the many things that will in all probability just start working correctly without fanfare. But who knows when that might be :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 11 months later...

I too find this frustrating.  I delete a photo off of a note over 3 weeks ago and yet on the desk top it remains unchanged.

It's not that bad to delete desktop data and reload it, but this issue has been around for a long time.

• Evernote Expert

@Shawn.H This is a known issue and you are correct that it hasn't been resolved. It seems that the only easy workaround is to remove the image from the note then duplicate the note to create a copy. That will be absent of the original image and you can start again. You can delete the original note and finally remove the word 'copy' that has been added to the new version.

My experience of the issue is subtly different to yours... I have a note with a single image which has been used as the thumbnail. I remove the image and the thumbnail is updated to display no image.  I then add a different image to the note and the thumbnail updates to display the original image even though it has been deleted.

I did find a means of permanently deleting the thumbnail by deleting the image in the resource-cache directory and that seemed to reset the thumbnail until a new image was added to the note. However, this is not something I'd advocate. I was really testing to see what could be done. In a note with multiple images it would be exceedingly easy to delete the wrong thing and potentially corrupt a note.

You're right that this is something that needs attention.

• 1 month later...

I was able to resolve this on MacOS by the following (inspired by agsteele's comment):

1. Evernote > Preferences > Deselect "Save Data at Log Out"

2. Clicking my username in the upper left corner of the Evernote window and select log out, making sure to select "Remove my Evernote data from this device"

3. Sign back in

Thank you for your reply. But that's too much damn work for every thumbnail that is stale or out of sync after I updated the note. It used to work, and it broke my workflow to the point one of the remaining pillars that Evernote was any good for was storing reference data and my drawings. The fact the thumbnail generator also does not take rotation of the original picture in account is very annoying. The whole thumbnail preview system is as broken and outdated as Evernote itself. I am migrating out.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5
23 hours ago, Mike Eilers said:

This has also been a long-running problem for me and my collective 618 (and counting) notes. Is or will there ever be a fix to this?

Hi, and welcome to the forums. These are user-to-user, with only very occasional input from Evernote staff, so no one here really has an answer to this. Believe me, we wish we did. The best way to contact Evernote support is (for paying subscribers) https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, and for all users https://twitter.com/evernotehelps.

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5

You could write about how the new version is superior over the old one for a change.

Because this one sided postings tell more about yourself, your inability to adapt and your unwillingness to explore new possibilities, than about the quality of the app you are denouncing.

Have a nice day !