Evernote and Share Menu on Mac

While I like the new features in EN 10 on my Mac, I;'m annoyed that we have lost functionality. Biggest annoyance is the loss of the share extension on the Mac. Can no longer right click on a selection or image and send to Evernote.

Can someone from Evernote let us know if and when we can expect that to return? If it doesn't I may need to give up on Evernote (after 15 or more years as premium user), which would be painful.

Other feature loss annoys me as well, such as loss of business card content exporting to Contacts, but that's on iOS...

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I don't know if that question has already been answered in another thread or if there is actually no answer (yet).

But it's right that missing Evernote in the Mac's share menu is really annoying, e.g. while trying to add email content to Evernote. One may get the share possibility if also using an iOS device, but taking my iPhone every time when I want to add some content is crazy.

Are there any plans to add Evernote back to the Mac's share menu again? When is ist planned or where can we request this feature?

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

No, no need to go searching.

Everything pre-v10 is outdated anyhow.

Since v10 the missing share option is a sore point. EN only rarely comments on forum threads. We know they work on something when it is mentioned in the release notes, or because suddenly it is there. Still no sign of either on the sharing issue.

Same issue. Would be great to have this back - seems like a big miss when OneNote, Apple's native notes app (which are direct competitors to Evernote these days) have this on the Mac.

• Like 1

I agree with the above two posts.   I've been a long time Evernote user and have stuck with it when a lot of people were jumping ship.   

Judging by many Evernote Users comments the inability to Share items to Evernote is a major restriction and inhibits Evernote's effectiveness.   This needs to be a priority fix or Evernote needs to communicate to its customers that it won't, or can't be fixed.  Customers need some honesty here.  I also have Devonthink installed on my Mac and it is much more efficient at getting whatever you need into its inbox.    Previously Evernote was a leader in this area.   I want to keep using Evernote but this missing function is growing increasingly frustrating.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

The forum is user2user. EN staff only rarely comments here.

Somehow I don’t really need a sharing option, although of course it would be nice to get it back one day.

My current favorite is an import folder, placed on my Macs desktop. Everything I want to move to my EN account I simply drop on that folder. Seconds later it appears in my EN account, wrapped into a new note. Simple, intuitive. Does not replace the sharing option, but works fine.

• Evernote Expert

I thought the share option had returned... It certainly has on Windows. I right click on a file and, for Win users, the SEND TO | EVERNOTE option is right there. I thought that a similar function had been restored for Mac - but since I'm not a Mac user I couldn't check. In fact, long before Evernote restored the function by default, I created the appropriate entry on my computer to do this but that is not needed now.

Of course, as @PinkElephant notes, in addition there is the Import Folder stuff.  Drag and drop/Copy/Move to the connected folder and the same is achieved.

• Level 5

Maybe it has to do with having legacy and v10 installed both. But on my Mac sharing is only routing into legacy.

And as said above, I don’t have a real issue with using the import folders instead. I can even drag & drop a note on it, and it creates a new note with a weblink to the old one. Playstuff, but it works.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not have EN as an extension to add as a choice in System Preferences.  I install EN via the App Store.  I would swear I had the Share extension in the past.

Regardless, how do I get the extension?...Reinstall EN?

Thanks for the advice.  

My subscription is via the App Store.  What is the impact of re-installing directly from EN?  Is it a moot question as there is no impact?  Will I need to forgo updates from the App Store and just update via EN directly?  Or is there any other aspect that I am just don't know about?

• Level 5

No, I run my subscription as well through my iTunes account. It will not autoupdate through the AppStore any longer, and the updater in the app itself sometimes take a while until it shows a new version. EN calls it "staged rollout", which is nothing else than distributing the updates over a week or so.

I use the app AppCleaner (free on the internet) for all my uninstalls - it makes sure there is no old trace left that could conflict with a new install.

If you want to continue to use the AppStore version, you can often use the "Open with ..." command in the right click menu with the same effect than sharing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump… have the option to share to Evernote from the Share button but clicking the "Save" button to send to EN and it does nothing.

Working with the Apple Store version.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, rootdr said:

Working with the Apple Store version.

1) No bumping around here

2) Get rid of the AppStore version, get the direct download, done.

It is known that the AppStore version has all sort of funny inconsistencies when collaborating with other apps. Not all the same, not under all conditions, but they are there, always waiting to surprise you. Solve them, or live with them.

BTW it is the same code in both EN versions - it is clearly happening on the Apple side, by running what was installed from the AppStore in a sandbox. You practically reduce the Mac to a Super-iPad by using AppStore software.