I bought a new MacBook with the M1 chip. Install required the Rosetta Intel compatibility library. Will you be releasing a version of Evernote compiled for the M1 chip, which is the same as in the iPad/iPhone.

@TGG I have not seen any indication about plans for M1version of the app.... but I am running Evernote v10 on Macbook Air M1 and Mac Mini M1, and it runs very fast with no complaints at all about speed.  Therefore, while there are still a number of features missing in this v10 app, I hope they are not devoting resources to making this faster on M1, as speed is not an issue with the Intel-based app.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There will not be a native EN M1 app - because this is not the concept of EN v10.

EN v10 is based on a framework, that handles the OS relation. The app is nested into the framework. Thus EN will become M1- native when the framework is becoming native. Since „nativity“ in case of Apple apps means the app has code for both environments, and decides on installing which to activate, I think one will not even notice a difference when switching from a Rosetta-enabled to the native version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...

I can't offer any technical reasons why or why not an app should have native M1 support other than Apple claims that native M1 supported apps use significantly less power than those requiring Rosetta. So if battery life is a concern to your users, I would recommend considering enhancing your app to natively support the M1 chips. 

• Level 5

There are several threads about this issue.

The current version of the Electron framework used for the desktop clients is the last one that does not support the M1. EN needs to switch to a more recent version of the framework, then the M1 will be supported.

When this will happen ? As a fellow user I have no idea.