Smart filing no longer working

Smart filing now always points to Main Notes in web clipper.

On Firefox, Version: 7.13.8.31-fad3b6a  Windows 10.

This has happened in the past, but was fixed for a while.

Please let me know if you see the same thing.

thx,

• Like 1

Same thing here--when I save a note, it just goes to my "Main Notebook".  Before this week, it would almost always place the note in the correct notebook for the subject matter--I very seldom had to move it to another notebook.  What has changed?  

I contacted Support several days ago. Part of the response was "As it happens, it is expected the algorithms that power the smart filing feature won't be as accurate as a brand new account,...". My account started in 2008; I now have over 75K clippings. I am not clear as to how/why having lots of clippings would affect day-to-day current Smart filing by the clipper. Luckily, probably 90% of my clippings go to one Notebook, so I turned off Smart filing and set that one Notebook as the default. For those few that I clip each day that belong elsewhere, I simply do that manually.  Every now and then I will check to see if Smart filing is working again. This misdirection occurred once before (a year or two ago; I don't recall—maybe there's a record of it in past postings); the situation cleared up and Smart filing began to work again.

• 4 weeks later...

smart sorting has not been working for me for a while now and finally out of frustration I started checking the forum and see others had this same issue but it's been resolved. Not resolved here though - both Safari and Chrome continue to "smart file" into the exact same notebook ("Archived 2013 to 2019" which makes this fun). I've tried on two different computers and same result.

Over the last few years there have been periods when this was working correctly, and periods when it wasn't. I think this is a server issue at Evernote, but that's just a guess. What's not a guess is that their engineering and Q/A processes need a little improvement.

As of the last few weeks, it's back to working, at least for me.

• 1 month later...

Same for me. Not working for months.

I currently use Evernote (10.13.4) Both Mac Intel and Intel Silicon 

Smart filling is  not working on Safari and Chrome with Web Clipper 

Premium account

It is such a shame

• 2 years later...

I think the future is pretty clear. After all this time, this isn't likely to ever be fixed.

Here is the future of EN:

Evernote has laid off most of its US staff and will move most operations to Europe
The company, which was acquired by mobile developer Bending Spoons last year, has decided to pack things up in the US.

The Verge, 7/9/23

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/9/23789012/evernote-layoff-us-staff-bending-spoons-note-taking-app

I think B.S .is thinking one of three things:

1. The expense of fixing this will never pay back. To be fair, if EN had been thinking this way for the past few years it might never have been sold.
Supporting an app across multiple systems/OSs is presumably complicated and expensive:

Available everywhere
Have an iPhone and a Windows computer? Android and Mac? Like using Linux? Unlike most note-taking apps, Evernote works on them all.

2. This feature, or maybe web clipping entirely, doesn't fit in to B.S. long term strategy. Not that I have any idea what that is.

3. They intend to minimize investment and collect revenue as long as possible. If the EN user base evaporates over the next 3-5 years they will still come out ahead.

To see where B.S. head is really, see the WSJ article (7/17/23) at this link.

The Viral AI App That’s Triggering Baby Fever
The photo-editing service Remini can generate realistic family portraits with virtual children

https://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-see-your-future-babies-this-viral-app-can-show-you-f4f65bdd?st=oqfpw9t8kqayibr&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink\

Apparently a person (presumably a woman) uploads photos of themself to the app, and using AI it generates image versions that are pregnant, or surrounded by imagined images of genetically similar synthetic children or infants. The co-founder of Bending Spoons (who owns the app) Matteo Danieli, is interviewed in the article.

The synergy of this app with Evernote is immediately obvious, an exercise left to the reader.

The real question is what's next for me. Zoho Notebook looks interesting.

https://www.zoho.com/notebook/

The real lesson is pick who you depend on carefully.

• Level 5

We have a thread that had a few posts, then goes silent in 2021, just to pop ,up again in 2023 for 3 posts since.

Just to tell you (if you can’t read it from the forum discussion yourself): This may be important for yourself, but it is a low ranking issue for most users here. So it will eventually be fixed when there are dev resources to fix it.

Just as a matter of fact observation: It is absolutely rare that support will come back to a specific user after an issue was eventually fixed. Keep yourself informed here and through release notes is your best bet to learn about any progress in an issue important to yourself.

The only way to influence priorities is to issue support tickets.

I realized after posting that it was the wrong thread. There is a more current thread I had posted on this spring on this topic.

I should say I politely disagree on the matter of support getting back to customers. In my 12+ years as a customer, support always followed up.