disable automatic note title recognition

Dahen

Hi,

how can I disable the "automatic note title recognition" feature?

Sometimes, if I add some text in the first row of a note, the note title will change to this new added text automatically. (Very annoying :? ) But not for all notes. Some notes are not affected by this feature. Don't know why?

How can I disable this feature generally?

Also it would be great if the focus is on the note title at first after creating a new note. like it was in EN 3.x.

Daniel

+1 on this. The auto-set note title is 99.99% never what I actually want to name the note. Would like them to just remain blank until I specifically title them.

-1 here. I very rarely set the note title specifically. I'd rather see the first line of my note than a bunch of "untitled note"s.

-1 here. I very rarely set the note title specifically. I'd rather see the first line of my note than a bunch of "untitled note"s.

I agree with Crane & my first line of each note is always what I want the title to be. Although I have noticed some irregularity about when the title gets set/changed & when it doesn't. I've not spent much time analyzing so can't give specific instructions on how to recreate. It does seem one case is screen caps. After changing the first line (inserted above the screen cap), it seems I have to go to the title (SCREEN CAP), select it, delete (or backspace) to clear it out & then it gets set. Not a really big deal, but thought I'd mention it.

• 2 months later...

Adding on to this so we're not duplicating info...

It seems it will always auto-rename the title until you directly change the title to something other than the auto-Title.

The auto-Title doesn't seem to be created/updated until the note "saves". The note saves when you move away from the main body such as moving to another portion of the application, or a different field in the note.

The interesting part for me is the inconsistency of editing the Title:

- If you mouse-click or hit [F2] to move to the Title field in a new note or from a modified first line of a previously auto-Titled note, the cursor moves to the beginning of the Title field.

- If you hit [F2] to move to the Title field in a note with a user-created Title, all the text in the field is selected. Interestingly, if you then hit [Delete] and [Enter], it will now auto-Title.

- If you mouse-click on the Title field in a note with a user-created Title, the cursor moves to wherever you clicked. Interestingly, if you click at the beginning of the title, or anywhere in the text, you see the entire title momentarily selected as if you had pressed [F2]. If you click past the end of the title, it simply places the cursor at the end.

I have to take sides with Dahen and luckman212. I like to have a descriptive note title, not the first line of the note because that's completely redundant. In the current version, I always have to change the note title manually (which requires more keystrokes than entering a title in an empty field).

Personally I would favor the following behavior (which I believe was standard in 3.5):

When I'm creating a new note, focus on the note title first so I can enter the title directly, and then switch to the note body via . This would prevent the automatic title recognition to kick in because I have already set the note title.

But seeing that others like to handle this differently, what about making it optional in the settings? Something like "New note: Focus on title first" and "Focus on body first". That could potentially meet everyone's taste.

But seeing that others like to handle this differently, what about making it optional in the settings? Something like "New note: Focus on title first" and "Focus on body first". That could potentially meet everyone's taste.

That would be a nice touch.

• Level 5

Personally I don't see the benefit in a printed document that says (for example)

===============================================================================================

Take out the trash on Thursday morning because pickups are running 1 day late due to Chris

Notebo...jbenson2's notebook

Created: 1/4/2011 9:42AM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Take out the trash on Thursday morning because pickups are running 1 day late due to Christmas and New Years

===============================================================================================

Evernote and others think this is a benefit. So I will join the masses and consider this redundancy as a benefit and edit the title each time.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm on the side of mindfully titling my own notes. I have specific parameters: that old YYYYMMDD plus descriptions plus keywords etc.

But my Windows Evernote is doing worse things than just creating a title from the first words of my Note. It is randomly replacing my own title with words from the body of the Note (in other words, after I've created the title on my own). I don't know why. Another scenario: if I merge notes, mindfully title the new merged note, then delete the top-most large-text title of originally merged-note number 1, Evernote takes it upon itself to replace the name of the Note title with the name of the bottom-most large-text title of the second merged note. I know my syntax is confusing here, but the basic gist is that Windows Evernote is behaving like a person with a bad case of Tourette Syndrome. All I want is a switch where I tell Evernote to completely disable the auto-title function. Please make it so, Evernote.

• 1 year later...

This is so annoying. I'm making backups of my notes elsewhere now, and when I paste the contents, an automatic title is not created. However, when I try to cut and paste the first line of the note (which usually has the title in it), Evernote decides to create a title of the NEXT line, taking a few seconds to do so in the process. You have no idea how frustrating this is when it happens to every single note, and a few seconds might not seem much, but it makes Evernote seem really bloated, slow and dysfunctional. Seriously, how hard is it to disable this feature?

Archived