Opening a note by dbl-clicking or right-clicking 'Open in New Window' no longer functions

Running Windows ver 10.8.4 (2349) and whenever I double-click on an existing (or new) note, it will not open in a new windows as expected. Also, using the r-click open and selecting 'Open in New Window' also does not work either. Running Windows 10 Pro ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804) Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop. Screenshots show that it appears Evernote is "trying" to display the new window which can be seen by using Windows Key + TAB (thumbnail task view) but it simply can't be opened even after clicking on it in this display mode.
In the previous version it was happening too - and after stopping/restarting Evernote this would go away - now this "new window" simply can't be viewed or used.
Screenshots show a sample note and then Windows Key + TAB to show thumbnail view of all open windows.

Have recreated the same issue on another PC also running the same version of W10 and Evernote, and on another laptop also running the newest version of Evernote but slightly older ver of W10.

Please advise as this is a key feature in Windows 10 (opening one or multiple notes, separate from All Notes Evernote application)

TBostwick

B_Evernote_newwindow_2021-02-11_161054.png

Evernote_newwindow_2021-02-11_161054.png

11 hours ago, toddbanng68 said:

Running Windows ver 10.8.4 (2349) and whenever I double-click on an existing (or new) note, it will not open in a new windows as expected. Also, using the r-click open and selecting 'Open in New Window' also does not work either.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce this. Both double click and right click -> open in new window work fine for me. 

• Thanks 1

All set - I wound up uninstalling on all the machines I had Evernote on- also did a thorough “clean” before reinstalling. 

can only guess it was some remnant from a previous/older version

works just fine again

thanks for the quick feedback/input 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

I'm sorry that you have this issue. But, like others before, I can happily open a note in a new window by double clicking or by right click/new window. You seem to be in the unenviable situation of being in the minority.

You don't say whether you have the direct download version of the software or the version downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Store. Neither did you say whether you deleted the data and program directories before reinstalling.

If you didn't completely delete all the directories then I would certainly try that. This feels like some artefact hanging over from a corrupted installation.  Similarly whichever version of the program you have, uninstall completely and try the alternative in case that works.

The data directory to delete is at: %AppData%\Evernote
The program directory to delete is at: %LocalAppData\Programs\Evernote

Another thought... This could be the mysterious blank note issue.  If you read around you will see that many users are experiencing a situation where notes suddenly, without warning, become blank. The usual resolution is to Quit Evernote (from the File menu or the System Tray) and then restart. If you find that this fixes your issue for the next 24 hours then you are in good but frustrated company.  The Evernote guys are trying to resolve but not locating the cause yet.

The answer for you in both these scenarios may be to revert to the legacy version of the software which provides you with the level of service and reliability that you were familiar with and could be a better way than continuing with the frustration.

• Like 1