Restore local “file://” links

Chris_NL

Idea

Please use the upvote button to bump up this post. Maybe they will implement this "feature" sooner when there are more upvotes. 

You can also fill in the survey (under the Help button in V10) to let them now this feature is being missed in V10.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hi All,

@Chris_NL

Wanted to clarify on my understanding of this feature request so I can make sure I'm communicating it accurately to our teams.

Does this sound accurate?:

"As a user I would like Evernote to hyperlink files on my computer so I can access them quickly"

• Like 5

Hello,

When Hyperlink are restrored ? This function is crucial for my business and my team. We are looking for go away with one competitor. Why you don't listen your customers !!!!!!!!!

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

@Chris_NL

Wanted to clarify on my understanding of this feature request so I can make sure I'm communicating it accurately our teams.

"As a user I would like Evernote to hyperlink files on my computer so I can access them quickly"

@Shane D.Thanks for bringing this up to the team.

That sounds good!

• Like 3

I used to link to local file inserting a hyperlink such as "file:///c:/mydrive/test.xlsx" (without quotes). The file used to be opened when I click the hyperlink.

This is not working anymore. How can i insert a link to a file in my computer in new Evernote app?

thanks

• Like 3
On 10/14/2020 at 12:13 AM, Mike P said:

The work around (which I actually prefer because I can never remember the correct format) is to simply drag and drop a windows shortcut into the note. The shortcut can be to an individual file or a folder. Works like a dream (and works in the legacy version too).

Thanks for the tip. However, it is tedious to rectify hundreds of dysfunctional hyperlinks scattered through out my notes. Some of these hyperlinks with correct format are still functional, while the others aren't. I found that the dysfunctional hyperlinks have extra characters "%5" added to the file path.  I'm unable to edit the hyperlinks.

Secondly, drag and drop is not same as a hyperlink. It creates an embedded document that increases the note size considerably.  Hundreds of such embedded notes will slow down EN, the reason why I prefer the hyperlinks over embedded files.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 190518.jpg

Edited by itharaju
Additional information and a screen shot
  • Like 6

This is a big problem for me as well, as I use the file:/// hyperlinks daily on a lot of stuff.

The workaround with the Drag & Drop is not ok for me because it adds a lot of clutter to my files/notes. For example, I could have the word "Pay" and hyperlink it to an external excel file, but if I drag and drop it it takes 10-20 times as space in width, has a border around it, file extension, logo and file size, padding, and it breaks the line. If I have Pay 1, Pay 2, Pay 3.... Pay 10, now I can't have them all in 1 row, I have 1 row for each file, with extra irrelevant info and padding between them. I can't format it, change colors, font, highlight etc. Huge difference.

Hope this is fixed fast.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Mike P said:

Dragging and dropping the windows shorcut file (extension .lnk) does not embed the document only the windows shortcut file. These normally weigh in at about 4kB.

Yes,  it works fine except , now it takes two more clicks to open the hyperlink. I found another way to identify and correct the dysfunctional hyperlinks.

1) Open the same note in EN Legacy Version (6.25) 

2) By hovering the mouse, check if the hyperlink is correctly formatted. The older EN had the ability to "Auto-Correct", lacking in new EN, the source of problems with hyperlinks.

3) The correct format should be "file:///drive:/file path..../file.extension". For example "file:///c:/user/documents/xyz.pdf"

4) if not, right click the hyperlink and select the EDIT option to reformat the hyperlink.

5) Next, sync the note in EN legacy version. Wait for the changes to sync and appear in the new EN . The changed hyper link should be fine now.

A tedious process if you have hundreds of hyperlinks.

Screenshot 2020-10-27 085144.jpg

@itharaju Thanks. I downloaded Legacy and did this as well and it works. It's still stupid that we need to have 2 software installed and toggle between them.

I am 99.99% sure this can be resolved in half an hour by a developer. Simply by removing the validation for the field, so that it will allow you to modify it as you wish (as it's been for years). But I have the feeling it will take months. I hate to say it, but after about 7 years of using Evernote I've started to look at alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I notified EN about this problem in the "Possible bugs" forum and was referred to this thread. But alas, no solution here either. The workaround suggested by Mike P (to drag and drop a windows shortcut into the note) is not optimal because it requires generating (and then deleting) a shortcut link to each file I want to hyperlink to.

What is so difficult about restoring the old functionality of pasting a syntactically correct link - it even works without problems even in this forum window:  file:///S:/Literatur/reprints/T-Z/Thauer_et_al_2008.pdf

The local hyperlinks are essential for my workflow. I am presently back to the legacy version, waiting for this to be resolved. Otherwise, I have to switch to a competitor that allows local hyperlinks. Most of them do...

Have a good day,

Andreas

• Like 2

Yikes! It's hard to understand how something so basic as a document link is now broken.  For me, hundreds of links to documents no longer work. 

This is NOT a feature request, but a serious miss by the dev team and a showstopper for me.

Please fix ASAP!

• Like 4
On 10/13/2020 at 9:41 PM, Shane D. said:

@Shane D.Now it's nearly 4 months after writing down this User Story. I can not count complaints regarding this issue 😞

Is it really that hard to implement a simple ShellExeute() (or similar call on Mac or Android 😉) as an answer to a click to a URL?

Your developers shouldn't be tooo smart: If a user wants to define a hotlink to a local file, he really knows why. Even a cloud-based service like EN should respect this. If the user clicks on his|her link whilst beeing on a foreign maschine, he|she should get an error message. But he MUST be able to define such a link and use it on his maschine (like it was possible in pre-10 versions).

• Like 1

I am a freelance writer who uses Evernote to organize research. Often, my projects involve thousands of files (mostly photographs and scanned documents) which are too large and numerous to embed in notes. For years, I’ve linked to these files (which I store in my computer’s HDD) in Evernote using “file://” only to discover that this feature has been discontinued with v10. Many of my notes and outlines became useless without warning after the upgrade. I can't imagine why you would drop this simple feature which has been part of previous Evernote releases. I hope you will consider restoring it, especially because I have seen that many others have the same issue

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Chris_NL said:

hyperlink with the file:// extension and it would pop out the file or folder. I would love to see this feature come back to the V10 version of Evernote. 

Does anything happen when clicking on the link in v10

• Like 1

The work around (which I actually prefer because I can never remember the correct format) is to simply drag and drop a windows shortcut into the note. The shortcut can be to an individual file or a folder. Works like a dream (and works in the legacy version too).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Mike P said:

So you create a shortcut in Windows and you put that shortcut in Evernote? I tried it and it gave me a file in Evernote itself. It takes 3 clicks to open it, but it works. I would still prefer the file:// protocol since it is just a hyperlink. 

Never mind: Double click works as well. But its still not a simple hyperlink so I would love it if the feature came back. 

Thanks @Mike P

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Chris_NL said:

Never mind: Double click works as well. But its still not a simple hyperlink so I would love it if the feature came back. 

It is a work around. When the hyperlinks issue was raised in the beta there was a statement by EN staff member @Austin G that they were looking into it.  So it might reappear but don't hold your breath.

If you have access to the beta forum the discussion is here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Mike P said:

It is a work around. When the hyperlinks issue was raised in the beta there was a statement by EN staff member @Austin G that they were looking into it.  So it might reappear but don't hold your breath.

I can understand local file links not being supported by a cloud service
My work-around is to use a cloud storage service that support a web url

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Actually never saw that topic. Thanks for giving the details!

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Well I use the same folder structure with sync on multiple PC's. So the link will always work on the PC's I sync the files with. 

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My work-around is to use a cloud storage service that support a web url

It should be possible as even with electron apps you can access the local system and include other libraries to carry out functions on the OS, so fingers crossed it will be restored.

1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

@Chris_NL

Wanted to clarify on my understanding of this feature request so I can make sure I'm communicating it accurately our teams.

@Shane D. I forgot to add: "... hyperlink files & folders on my ..."

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 11:23 AM, PAntonio said:

I used to link to local file inserting a hyperlink such as "file:///c:/mydrive/test.xlsx" (without quotes). The file used to be opened when I click the hyperlink.

This is not working anymore. How can i insert a link to a file in my computer in new Evernote app?

thanks

You could try the work around from Mike P mentioned above. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, itharaju said:

Secondly, drag and drop is not same as a hyperlink. It creates an embedded document that increases the note size considerably.  Hundreds of such embedded notes will slow down EN, the reason why I prefer the hyperlinks over embedded files.

Dragging and dropping the windows shorcut file (extension .lnk) does not embed the document only the windows shortcut file. These normally weigh in at about 4kB.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, itharaju said:

Yes,  it works fine except , now it takes two more clicks to open the hyperlink.

For ,me double clicking the embedded shortcut file opens the file whch is much quicker than three dots menu -> open

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

For ,me double clicking the embedded shortcut file opens the file whch is much quicker than three dots menu -> open

Thanks, it works in both the legacy and the new versions of EN. It is also quite simple and hassle free. I'll  use this method for creating future hyperlinks. But for now I'm stuck with hundreds of dead hyperlinks, hoping for the "Auto-Correct" functionality in the future.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 2:53 PM, PAntonio said:

thanks

I had the same problem, but resolved it using the Legacy Version(6.25) of Evernote. The work around is to correct each hyperlink manually using the Legacy Version (6.25) of Evernote. It took me two days and several cups of coffee to rectify around 200 dead hyperlinks. The dead hyperlinks appear as: "file:///c:/\folder1\folder2......\file.pdf". After editing: "file:///c:/folder1/folder2...../file.pdf". After syncing all the hyperlinks are working fine in the new Evernote. It now takes two mouse clicks to open the hyperlinks.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Tazzz said:

It's still stupid that we need to have 2 software installed and toggle between them.

For myself, I have good reasons for having Evernote Legacy installed
Can you explain the benefits of having Evernote 10 installed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/30/2020 at 5:46 PM, DTLow said:

For myself, I have good reasons for having Evernote Legacy installed
Can you explain the benefits of having Evernote 10 installed?

Sure:

1. Complete dark mode. I have a 49" super ultrawide monitor, and white documents are like a punch in the face when I work late nights. I used to dim my monitor just because of evernote. All apps I use are set in dark mode, and I was waiting for evernote to catch up for a over a year.

2. Instant sync. I always toggle between desktop and mobile, and I hated that I had to keep in mind to always sync. A few times I forgot and I went into meetings without the notes I've worked on to prepare for said meetings. A copuple times I wend shopping without the shopping list updated on my phone. I understand some don't like this feature, but for me Evernote is partly about writing stuff down so that I don't have to carry them in my mind. It was a drag to always remind myself to sync after leaving the app/shutting down my desktop.

3. Back / Forth buttons. Just started using them and they improve my workflow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all! Any update on this issue? 

I just migrated to v10 and I'm devastated by this as I have literally hundreds of links in EN notes to local files using the "file:///" syntax, specifically "file:///\\shareddisk\path\file.ext"

Existing links do not work (they appear as "file:///%5C%5Cshareddisk...") and I can not create new ones.

Cheers!

Juan Carlos---

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Andreas_B said:

Hi all,

I notified EN about this problem in the "Possible bugs" forum and was referred to this thread. But alas, no solution here either. The workaround suggested by Mike P (to drag and drop a windows shortcut into the note) is not optimal because it requires generating (and then deleting) a shortcut link to each file I want to hyperlink to.

What is so difficult about restoring the old functionality of pasting a syntactically correct link - it even works without problems even in this forum window:  file:///S:/Literatur/reprints/T-Z/Thauer_et_al_2008.pdf

The local hyperlinks are essential for my workflow. I am presently back to the legacy version, waiting for this to be resolved. Otherwise, I have to switch to a competitor that allows local hyperlinks. Most of them do...

Have a good day,

Andreas

Have you tried the work around suggested here?

On 10/30/2020 at 11:38 AM, Tazzz said:

@itharaju Thanks. I downloaded Legacy and did this as well and it works. It's still stupid that we need to have 2 software installed and toggle between them.

I am 99.99% sure this can be resolved in half an hour by a developer. Simply by removing the validation for the field, so that it will allow you to modify it as you wish (as it's been for years). But I have the feeling it will take months. I hate to say it, but after about 7 years of using Evernote I've started to look at alternatives.

I agree, as a user for 11 years this is exceptionally frustrating that Evernote would drop a functionality that was in the app for over a decade! That is not updating the design that is breaking thousands of advanced users workflows - advanced users being your most consistent advoctes and stable revenue base. My old links to local files were opening in an earlier release of v.10 (could not create new) but now I can't even open the old links.

I use on macOS and I could edit the link-to-local-file with a descriptive name and often linked to a project containing folders as well as files, exceptionally useful and impossible to replicate by attaching files to a note. Plus, for many reasons uploading the files / attaching to a note is NOT an option for me: (1) some contain information that by company policy I cannot store unencrypted to the cloud, (2) many are unsupported file types including projet folders; (3) I regularly edit / update the source file, some are local, some are on a VPN connected share drive, so uploading a static copy is simply not an option, (5) I have secure backup of my local device with versioning of files, (6) my workflow is complex.

When I contacted support they called this "adding a new feature" which it is not, it is RESTORING a significnat function that was in Evernote for at least a decade -- and restoring this function that does not affect users who don't want or use it.

Plus months into the new major release and it's still creating duplicate notes when editing a note shared across accounts.

Alterntives -- what are you all finding? How are you exporting?

I switched from Onenote to Evernote in 2009 because (a) Evernote handled numbers of notes more effectively, and (b) Microsoft reduced cross-platform support for One note / iOS + macOS versions were dropped or did not work well back in 2009.

• Like 2

Evernote is not HIPAA compliant nor compliant with my company policy for encryption-at-rest of cloud based data. But, I am allowed to take personal notes for projects and then link out to company-protected locally stored files and folders. So the link-to-file with file:/// option is the ONLY way I can use Evernote for this type of work. Breaking it has significantly disrupted several in-progress projects.

If I downgrade to the legacy version, how much longer is that going to work / be supported?

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
20 hours ago, yj19 said:

If I downgrade to the legacy version, how much longer is that going to work / be supported?

There is no expectation that version 6.25.x will be withdrawn at anytime soon. This wouldn't be a 'downgrade'. In reality version 10 is a restart providing a platform from the base up. the legacy version will work alongside v10 sdo you can have both installed at the same time if you wish. The only promise is that v6.25 isn't going to be developed further.

Hopefully it means that, eventually, v10 will catch up and overtake v6.25

Hi All,

@Chris_NL

Wanted to clarify on my understanding of this feature request so I can make sure I'm communicating it accurately to our teams.

Hi @Shane D.

On my end the local file integration via hyperlinks still works with links that I created in the last version of evernote. The problem seems to be that you can't insert the old file:// prefix to create the hyperlink to the local file.In the screenshot you'll see a link that currently works, but can't be "added" once you open the edit function. If you press cancel, and stay with the old link, the functionality remains 

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 12.27.57.png

On 11/24/2020 at 1:57 AM, agsteele said:

Hopefully it means that, eventually, v10 will catch up and overtake v6.25

Way back when (when I left 1.5y ago), the expectation was it would reach about 85% parity. Hopefully time (and these forums!) are convincing them to go further...

• Like 2

A problem with downgrading: I was getting far too many duplicate notes / conflicting changes when editing across devices. Evernote tech support told me to upgrade which has mostly resolved that problem (not entirely).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dcon said:

Way back when (when I left 1.5y ago), the expectation was it would reach about 85% parity. Hopefully time (and these forums!) are convincing them to go further...

And then it would be which 15%.  😂

• Haha 1

Just want to chime in. V10 suckssss! The breaking of the file:/// feature is very annoying. Attaching an alias on MacOS does not work.

I wish I had been warned before upgrading to V10. There are also many other annoying things. V10 appears to be following the trend of dumbing down everything so that the interfaces are consistence between tablets, laptops/desktops, and phones. This cripples the power of a desktop/laptop and reduces productivity. I mean, I don't mind if the front-end interface is made simpler for beginnings so the learning curve is not as steep, but there needs to be options for more advanced users. 

• Like 1

Please bring the "file:///" feature back to Ctrl+K. I use Evernote as a project index (dashboard) with links to files and folders. ALL of my existing Evernote project dashboard notes do not work anymore. This is a serious oversight and I sincerely hope it will be assigned the highest priority for fixing. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to chime in and say this is a feature I would also appreciate. Dragging in an alias doesn't work; it just opens the alias in Textedit for some reason.

My details, in case it matters:

Evernote v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

• Like 1
On 12/30/2020 at 1:56 PM, MarcoTulio said:

This is NOT a feature request. It was a feature from earlier versions

The local hyperlinks are essential for my workflow.

I need to link local files and folders

I hope that Evernote staff listen users

Yes! It is very disappointing that Evernote support told me I have put this in as a "feature request". Evernote has broken other things like in macOS Evernote, you are forced to have auto-format can't turn it off, and that too has to be a "feature request." I used to do much word of mouth marketing for free as I loved Evernote but it is very frustrating when functionality that breaks workflow is removed. And downgrading to legacy is not an option, I had to upgrade because syncing across platforms was no longer reliable with legacy app (buggy also in new but less so).  Can here recommend a replacement with similar functionality across iOS, Android, macOS, Windows and web? 

• Like 2

I just found this CEO blog post which certainly makes sense, and apologizes for breaking features:

https://evernote.com/blog/state-of-the-product/

One concern I have is that there is no commitment to restore *all* the advanced functionality in the new unified code base, that was in various platforms, and with a specific time frame, say, 3 months? six? what time for what functions? What functions are not on the roadmap? That would be transparent. And, the suggestion to switch to legacy is not helpful, legacy macOS had issues with iOS new and creating duplicate notes / note conflicts (even new platform does this and support has not fixed it for me). Or was this a glitch in the new iOS which is resolved, and I should have stability if I switch back to legacy? More detail for advanced users on workarounds would be appreciated!

• Like 1

on the older verson of evernote going to a file inside a folder or to a folder like - file:///D:/Dropbox/2021/Misc - would work and open up the folder. 

Undfortunately on the new version it doesn't work anymore. 

Is there any advice on what to do about getting this fixed? 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gross770 said:

on the older verson of evernote going to a file inside a folder or to a folder like - file:///D:/Dropbox/2021/Misc - would work and open up the folder. 

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion for this feature

There's no commitment or timeline but we expect/hope this gets resolved in a future update

• Like 1

Wanted to clarify on my understanding of this feature request so I can make sure I'm communicating it accurately to our teams. Does this sound accurate?:

How dare you ? This is not a feature request this is one more regression of the V10. 

• Like 2

I agree with xaa.  Treating a request to not remove a feature is not the same as requesting a new feature.  We're just asking you to not take away features that we rely on. 

It should be assumed that features of the legacy product are preserved in the new version.  We shouldn't have to request and plead to prevent you from reducing the  Evernote capabilities that we need to do our work. 

You ask us to try the new product to appreciate it's value.  I'm sure that you put a lot of effort into it and that there are lots of improvements for us to appreciate.  In fact I'd really like to try it.  However it's hard to do that when features I rely on are removed, my workflow is severely disrupted, and the new version strips out some formatting information so some of my documents can't be displayed correctly EVEN IN THE LEGACY VERSION. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mikea144 said:

It should be assumed that features of the legacy product are preserved in the new version.

That's a bad assumption
The Version 10 product was implemented with an initial framework, missing many of the legacy features
Some features have been specifically dropped (Local Folders) and other features are being added on a priority basis
Quoting from the release notes, "If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps"
For a specific feature, indicate your support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Like 1

I wasn't clear. I was not saying that we should make that assumption now: that's clearly not what they're doing. I meant that  the better choice for both users and Evernote would have been to implement all features of the legacy version except for those for which there was a specific design benefit for excluding.

• Like 1

1. Dropping advanced features like Local Folders without telling users before they upgrade that certain functions have been dropped - speaks volumes about not caring about your power user base and going for a "consumer market." There was no list of "this is what we've dropped" -- and I'm still discovering what's been broken.

2. I just discovered the macOS Evernote command line interface that I use with GeekTools is no longer working, also broken due to upgrading I'd guess. Hard to find anything on this.

3. Evernote's "use the legacy app" is annoying, because their own tech support advised me many times to upgrade *from* the Legacy app as the legacy app had an increasing number of problems with basic syncing especially on shared notes.

4. To paraphrase the character of Naomi Nagata in this season of the Expanse, sometimes the only choice you have is to walk.*

*I am not going out the nearest airlock, but I am checking out Nimbus notes. Does anyone have experience on switching? What would I give up with Nimbus? What would I gain? How easy to import everything?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

@Shane D.Now it's nearly 4 months after writing down this User Story. I can not count complaints regarding this issue 😞

Is it really that hard to implement a simple ShellExeute() (or similar call on Mac or Android 😉) as an answer to a click to a URL?

Your developers shouldn't be tooo smart: If a user wants to define a hotlink to a local file, he really knows why. Even a cloud-based service like EN should respect this. If the user clicks on his|her link whilst beeing on a foreign maschine, he|she should get an error message. But he MUST be able to define such a link and use it on his maschine (like it was possible in pre-10 versions).

Agree. I just re-read ShaneD of Evernote’s team post see below it’s like Shane did not even realize this was a feature of Evernote macOS and Evernote Windows for over 11 years!!

On 10/13/2020 at 3:41 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

@Chris_NL

Yesterday Evernote search couldn’t find a note that I knew I had but couldn’t remember what notebook - I tried latest web, latest iOS, and macOS legacy for a unique word not found. Then I found it manually searching a bunch of notebooks and edited it. Today all 3 clients find it. Hard to believe even a basic feature like search is broken. I gave up filing bug reports I get a generic email for novice users then have to escalate then get a polite “we have reported it answer.” 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I'm still on v6, so I wasn't aware that local file links was dropped by v10, but it makes sense given EN's direction, even though it undoubtedly broke many user workflows.

I would make the educated guess that local file links is going the way of Local Notebooks, meaning it is being permanently dropped. EN wants all user data on their servers. EN mods - can you confirm or deny? 

You can go back to v6 for Windows or Mac and local file links will work, as will Local Notebooks. And then decide on your plan going forward. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 8:12 PM, tavor said:

I'm still on v6, so I wasn't aware that local file links was dropped by v10, but it makes sense given EN's direction, even though it undoubtedly broke many user workflows.

I would make the educated guess that local file links is going the way of Local Notebooks, meaning it is being permanently dropped. EN wants all user data on their servers. EN mods - can you confirm or deny? 

You can go back to v6 for Windows or Mac and local file links will work, as will Local Notebooks. And then decide on your plan going forward. 

A business is not a charity organization, although businesses are under their own law, and we signed the user terms, (we also have the power to execute rights and obligations under these terms). But still is cumbersome to support EN in this massive change in their technology. Quality is about reaching customer specs. I would be very happy to continue doing business with EN, but I would be happier if they restored all or most the features previously contained in past technologies.

Edited by Tonymynd
Orthography
  • Like 1
On 6/16/2021 at 5:25 AM, Chris_NL said:

Please use the upvote button to bump up this post. Maybe they will implement this "feature" sooner when there are more upvotes. 

You can also fill in the survey (under the Help button in V10) to let them now this feature is being missed in V10.

The latest version contains an option to do the opposite:  import a whole folder now without linking to it.  I still use Evernote Classic because of Evernote's breaking this feature.  

• Like 1

Would like this feature is reinstated ASAP.  Just upgraded to v10 after a long time, thinking I was smart to wait until the thing stabilized.  Oh...how little did I know.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I literally had hundreds but more likely thousands of file and folder links which Evenote has just removed, not only that but it will no longer let me add them back.  It will be on the slow burner for now but I'm looking for an alternative, this is the last straw.

• Like 1

re: :// local files. Could the dropping of this essential feature be something to do with the fact that the database is now in the cloud and no longer local?

Perhaps there's a fundamental engineering trap that means that a cloud-based 'base cannot link to a local file?

IANAD

pete

13 hours ago, dbareis said:

I literally had hundreds but more likely thousands of file and folder links which Evenote has just removed, not only that but it will no longer let me add them back.  It will be on the slow burner for now but I'm looking for an alternative, this is the last straw.

One alternative is to downgrade to an older version of Evernote.  Contact tech support and they will give you a link to an older version that still supports file:// links.  That's what I do.  It sucks but there is nothing else out there to compete and paraphrasing one user here, "companies don't do things for their customers, they do things for their bottom line."   Don't hold your breath on this one, nobody is listening. 😜  Cheers!  

It is not just local files that were dropped, all protocols apart from http, https seen to have been.

Also note, there is obviously a huge deficiency in Evernote, not being able to backup the DB! Is backing up the local files good enough when these are synced to the cloud?

More importantly, in this case all the links with non supported protocols are not lost, reinstalling the classic version v6.x from their site restored these for me.

The DB doesn't appear to have changed, and EN's info also implies this.

I'll be  staying on classic from now on.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

The Evernote Legacy product can be installed from here

I spent ages looking for the old product that people recommended as they gave it their own fancy made up name, you have given it another, I used classic as that is what it is called on their website.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/12/2021 at 7:11 AM, peterlemer said:

Do any Mac apps implement local links?

Evernote Legacy supports local links (also Devonthink 🙂)

• Like 2
22 hours ago, johnnygoodface said:

Why are we all surprised? Removing the link to local files "forces" us to upload more often the file itself.

By doing so they make sure that a bunch of free users will need a subscription because they've blown their quota.

I feel for people who have a lot of existing file links. However, for new files the workaround described above works very well. I'm sure free users will be happy to spend a few extra moments using the work around to avoid  actually having to pay for the product.

Hi everyone,

I think they just fixed it:

I tested it on my home PC and it works! Can anyone else confirm that it works with the 10.20 version before I mark this topic as solved?

"Expanded link support in the editor - web addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses are auto-converted to links. Links will open local files and in default apps (ex: Zoom). Link detection improvement (e.g. recognize twitch.tv and google.com.vn as web URL domains w/o needing https://)"

8 hours ago, Chris_NL said:

Hi everyone,

I think they just fixed it:

I tested it on my home PC and it works! Can anyone else confirm that it works with the 10.20 version before I mark this topic as solved?

"Expanded link support in the editor - web addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses are auto-converted to links. Links will open local files and in default apps (ex: Zoom). Link detection improvement (e.g. recognize twitch.tv and google.com.vn as web URL domains w/o needing https://)"

I tested it on my Mac and while it tries to work, it does not work for me actually yet.  It will not open any file:// links no matter how I try.  But it's hopeful that it's claiming to want to...   

2021-08-30.07.38.39.CleanShot.Evernote.png

• Like 1

Earlier in this post someone mentioned non-file protocols (I only care about web or file ones though), all protocols should be supported or at least those that used to work.  Copy and paste the code, how hard can that be?

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@wealthychef Works on my Mac / BigSur 11.5.2

Have you enabled every option in the Macs settings, Security, tab privacy ? I am thinking especially about granting full disk access.

I had not, but enabling it fixed my problem!  Many thanks this was such a long-awaited feature.  Why didn't they announce this to the people that give a damn about it on this forum?  Rude.  🙂

Interesting that Evernote did not ask me to update these settings.  I would have expected Evernote to prompt me for this.   anyhow, I'm thrilled to get this broken functionality back!  I can finally go back to the standard version.  

• Level 5

Glad this worked.

Probably they ask for permission when you install, but usually apps don’t ask when they just update an existing app.

Since Mojave these settings play an important role for all Mac apps. When you don’t read much about Mac malware, these settings are one of the reasons.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Glad this worked.

Probably they ask for permission when you install, but usually apps don’t ask when they just update an existing app.

Since Mojave these settings play an important role for all Mac apps. When you don’t read much about Mac malware, these settings are one of the reasons.

Not complaining about being asked, but if you need permissions and know how to check and see you don't have them and the user is asking for it, wouldn't it make sense then to point them to the preferences?  Anyhow, I got mine baby.  Cheers

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, flaneige said:

Links created with new version of Evernote can be opened on both versions, new and legacy. But links created with the legacy version still don't open in the new version (Windows)

I can't replicate that. Old links created in previous (non V10) versions of EN open perfectly for me in V10.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sure it would - but if these guys would build everything self explaining, the forum would be deserted. 

No chance to meet nice other users, no exchange of the latest hack … 🙀

That's a beautiful perspective, but I'd rather continue working on my project than have to deal with an Evernote bug personally.  :-). And yet here I am!  LOL

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
3 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

That's a beautiful perspective, but I'd rather continue working on my project than have to deal with an Evernote bug personally.  :-). And yet here I am!  LOL

If I would do an assessment on this, I might say: Good intentions, but miserable execution. 

Glad you are here !

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What goes down - must go up.

If it helps just one fellow user to solve his problem, it is worth 100% more than your completely useless post.

Or what leans left should eventually lean right.

“Any man under 30 who is not a liberal has no heart, and any man over thirty who is not a conservative has no brains.”

Winston S. Churchill

• Haha 2