Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, tushar258 said:

why i am not able to encryt my notes i am not getting any option for the same when i highlight the text and right click on it like i use to earlier?

Is it just normal text or something special? I've just tried and it works fine for me for normal text but you cannot encrypt text containing a table for example. I'm not sure whether this is a new limitation and earlier V10's did allow you to encrypt tables.

Link to comment
On 2/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mike P said:

Is it just normal text or something special? I've just tried and it works fine for me for normal text but you cannot encrypt text containing a table for example. I'm not sure whether this is a new limitation and earlier V10's did allow you to encrypt tables.

Yes the tables are not being encrypted, but also there is a limitation on the no. of characters that are being encrypted. i tried to encrypt a file which i previously encrypted the same file i am not able to encrypt it completely, i had to do it in chunks, which is very annoying.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

Looking at what the encryption can do, and what it can’t I think it is often better to export an attached file to another program, decrypt there, work on it and reencrypt it before sending it back to EN.

This avoids among other potential traps that the the note will sync with the server while the content is decrypted. It will be overwritten once it is encrypted again, but there might be not encrypted copies saved in note history.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Looking at what the encryption can do, and what it can’t I think it is often better to export an attached file to another program, decrypt there, work on it and reencrypt it before sending it back to EN.

This avoids among other potential traps that the the note will sync with the server while the content is decrypted. It will be overwritten once it is encrypted again, but there might be not encrypted copies saved in note history.

i good suggestion i must say

Link to comment
  • Level 5
4 hours ago, tushar258 said:

Yes the tables are not being encrypted, but also there is a limitation on the no. of characters that are being encrypted. i tried to encrypt a file which i previously encrypted the same file i am not able to encrypt it completely, i had to do it in chunks, which is very annoying.

Tables and bullet lists (probably other formatted text too) could not be encrypted in v6.25 on Windows either.  This is one of the many long standing issues with encryption inside a note.

I previously shared a proof of concept for better encrypting stuff.  Works consistently and, with a small subscription, can work with mobile devices too. THis is now my much preferred route to encryption of note text AND I doubt I'll revert to Evernote encryption even if it is improved.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't know your reasons why you want to encrypt, but general advice:
Evernote isn't build with encryption in mind*. If you have data that must be private for whatever reason maybe you should look for a application build for this level of security...?

Sure you can use Evernote as container for storing encrypted data, encryption done in seperated tools, but you rely on the server side security of Evernote with data you encrypted for reasons in the first place. This is a stranges security strategy if you ask me... 

*Edit: Encryption of notes or documents...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Level 5

For secure storage: Many Password-Managers allow for the storage of notes and attachments in the encrypted vault. These programs are build for storing information in a secure way.

If this is no solution, the tool used for encryption and the tool used for safe storage should be from 2 different providers. This makes it less likely that in case of a breach, anything of value will be captured. If the tool to encrypt is separate, all they can steal is data fog, sequences of 0s and 1s without any meaning.

In most cloud services (including EN) the data is encrypted while stored, which adds another layer of security. To perform server based services like search index and OCR EN holds a master key for the encryption of the server, and does access the users data by bots (not by humans). This is a loophole in the EN server encryption that does not exist in other plain cloud storage.

To wrap it up: Using EN for safe encrypted storage is like using a sieve to hold water. It works when it comes along as ice cubes, but I would not trust it longer term.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Level 5*
On 2/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

In most cloud services (including EN) the data is encrypted while stored, which adds another layer of security. To perform server based services like search index and OCR EN holds a master key for the encryption of the server, and does access the users data by bots (not by humans). This is a loophole in the EN server encryption that does not exist in other plain cloud storage.

To wrap it up: Using EN for safe encrypted storage is like using a sieve to hold water. It works when it comes along as ice cubes, but I would not trust it longer term.

Or, if you want security from Evernote employees along with anyone who might hack Evernote and use the decryption keys to access your data, consider an app with zero knowledge encryption (which has been requested here, but EN will never provide because they insist on the ability to scan your notes).

Where I would agree with @PinkElephantis that encrypting text inside a note is quite suboptimal. Better to encrypt your content in an attachment to a note. Obviously if this is a frequent occurrence, you might be better served with a different solution.

For those not familiar, zero knowledge encryption means only you (or your devices) store the encryption key - not the app developer, not the cloud provider, only you.

 

Link to comment

I have been encrypting notes on evernote for years. I've been using it as a diary and also to save passwords etc. The new update has completely ruined the encryption that was there. You can't search in them now, you can't edit them properly. They display as one giant run-on text file. It's infuriating!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of you are missing the main point from the original post. You can NO LONGER create and edit a encrypted note in Evernote. Prior to the "New" version you could. For years you could. Evernote has taken away that feature and, currently, does not have published plans to bring it back.  Existing notes with encrypted data in them cannot be edited, unless you want to turn the feature off.

That is what is frustrating. That, superb, feature was available for years, without having to export or do anything else outside of Evernote. As the users who have used the encryption are saying, bring THAT feature back. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, snoova said:

A lot of you are missing the main point from the original post. You can NO LONGER create and edit a encrypted note in Evernote. Prior to the "New" version you could. For years you could. Evernote has taken away that feature and, currently, does not have published plans to bring it back.  Existing notes with encrypted data in them cannot be edited, unless you want to turn the feature off.

That is what is frustrating. That, superb, feature was available for years, without having to export or do anything else outside of Evernote. As the users who have used the encryption are saying, bring THAT feature back. 

Encryption has been completely left out of the new EN version.

As a short term solution, you can download Evernote Legacy (i.e. version 7): https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote (only available for Mac/Windows, not for mobiles and tablets once you have upgraded unfortunately).

I have contacted EN many times and left feedback on this issue. The forums are also full of requests for a password-protected notes (or notebooks) feature, but EN keeps ignoring its users, and has consistently failed to communicate on this. I received a newsletter today boasting about features such as keyboard shortcuts to create a note and the ability to turn off the built-in spell checker 🙄🙄. Nice but not game changing...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, snoova said:

You can NO LONGER create and edit a encrypted note in Evernote.

I've been using Evernote since the very beginning.  I've never been able to encrypt a note. There has always been the option to encrypt a block of text (but with limitations if the block has bullets).

That same option exists in version 10 but with the limitation that to edit the encrypted text you have to de-crypt and then re-encrypt.

Encryption in version 10 isn't as fluid as in the legacy but you can still encrypt plain text as previously.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 4 months later...

Tried to encrypt text in a note as usual. The option did not show up upon right-click.

Removed blank lines from the selected text....now the option appeared upon right-click, and encryption worked. 

Hey Evernote, there is not a single change you've made in the past few years which I would consider an improvement. 

This cloud service used to work 10/10 for me.  Now sorry to say it's like 6/10.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5
16 hours ago, Miradorrad said:

Tried to encrypt text in a note as usual. The option did not show up upon right-click.

Almost certainly the text included some formatting - bullets, indenting or similar. This cannot be encrypted - but it mostly couldn't be encrypted in the so-called legacy version either.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

As agsteele mentioned above, encryption is still working.  I had the same issue, but finally realized my text was bold.  Once I removed the bold from the text, I was able to encrypt just fine.  If you select some text then right-click and do not see encryption as an option, chances are you have some formatting on your text and don't realize it.  

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it true that the ability to ENCRYPT NOTE TEXT (by selecting the text and selecting "Encrypt") is now gone?

I tested on the web version of Evernote in a Chrome browser but there was no right-click menu and no icon or menu item elsewhere to encrypt the selected text.

It is critical for me to encrypt passwords and other sensitive text.

Please, I need to know if text encryption is available on the (a) Windows App, (b) Android App? and (c) Web app?

Link to comment
  • Level 5

1st things 1st: It IMHO is a bad idea to use EN to store passwords. To store passwords, there are password managers. They are build to do this job, EN is NOT. If you do, don’t come back here with some mimimi about lost content or broken encryption.

The encryption feature is described here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547

It is a feature of the desktop client (Windows & Mac).

Encryption in v10 is sensitive about formatted text: If text contains formatting (bold, underline, etc., but as well bullet points or numbered lists) it can’t be encrypted. In such a case remove the formatting, and try again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 9/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, mishmortonhelp said:

Are there any plans to bring this back? Can this feature please be brought back?

Evernote offers a text encryption feature; details at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547-Encrypt-text-in-a-note

For extended encryption, I use the native encryption in note file attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents, ...

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 4:56 AM, PinkElephant said:

1st things 1st: It IMHO is a bad idea to use EN to store passwords. To store passwords, there are password managers. They are build to do this job, EN is NOT. If you do, don’t come back here with some mimimi about lost content or broken encryption.

The encryption feature is described here:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547

It is a feature of the desktop client (Windows & Mac).

Encryption in v10 is sensitive about formatted text: If text contains formatting (bold, underline, etc., but as well bullet points or numbered lists) it can’t be encrypted. In such a case remove the formatting, and try again.

I disagree, a thief will not waste time stealing on a place that is not worth the sweat. (evernote) 

An app that's primary job is to store password is the most dangerous place to store private data. It's just a matter of time untill all the current developer will be replaced by incompetent new generation of developers. 

Software as we know it is always on it peak popularity at their original founder and team.  Once they get old and got replace by younger one things get to a new direction (good or worst). 

Attackers are always young and motivated. 

-------- 

I just hope evernote become transparent over this feature rather than trying on mind conditioning their customer to slowly remove the feature. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5

An emotional post, but sorry, devoid of facts:

Without going into details - passwords can be stored in a way that is impossible to calculate backwards. The mathematical functions used to do so only work in one direction.

The algorithm EN uses to encrypt is ok for encrypting something - but it is principally  possible to crack it, it is lacking some features used by password managers. Who uses it for passwords must be warned that it is possible to Brute Force (crack by trying) this encryption.

This is the Bad - the Ugly comes when you look at the handling issue: Does a user really use a different strong password on every piece of text they encrypt ? And what happens when the text was decrypted ? Does EN suddenly stop syncing ?

About putting passwords in unlikely places: The concept is called „security by obscurity“, and it is dead in the water. 

Want a proof ? By using the string contains:enCrypt with the EN search I can find these nuggets even when they were stacked  into a huge pile of rocks (notes). Not really obscure …

And finally : EN has not removed anything, encryption is still there for desktop clients, and it never was a feature on mobile.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

And finally : EN has not removed anything, encryption is still there for desktop clients, and it never was a feature on mobile.

This part is where the doubt are. 

Specially that for ages they haven't implemented it on android platform.

It's just a matter of time when they just going to pull the plug of the feature and make some excuse such as 'we are now discontinuing windows support' 

Coz windows now is slowly moving on trying to embrace android in the operating system. 

Unless the developer implement the text encryption feature in android to end all these doubt. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

AFAIK encryption of text has never been on mobile. If you want to interpret a mysterious meaning into any feature difference between desktop and mobile, go ahead.

It will keep you busy for a while …

Read my post carefully. 

First paragraph ' they haven't implemented it on android platform.' 

2nd paragraph ' make some excuse such as 'we are now discontinuing windows support''

What do you think will happen if evernote Discontinued windows support? Since windows is slowly embracing android to it platform (I already attach a screenshot for you to comprehend since you cant on my last comment). 

It's not hard to predict that sooner or later evernote will ditch windows to cut cost. 

And if that happen. Encryption feature is gone for good. 

 

 

This is why to "remove all doubt, I hope they implement it the text encryption on android" 

 

Now do you get my point? 

 

 

 

 

IMG_20211011_210010.jpg

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Giving up Windows - LOL

Only appr. 85% market share in the PC market ... just launched Windows 11.

Running of Android apps on Windows 11 devices (except beta) delayed until at least (!) late 2022 ...

Whatever you want to do in the future - avoid strategic planning, probably not your sort of job !

Link to comment

Very well then atleast we have "it here for the record." Lets see where the industry of computing tech is heading. 

Right now most evernote user hates the current sluggish windows version. That gives them sort of evernote is not prioritizing windows and slowly shifting to focus on mobile version.  

Their actions through the years of developing their app speaks for itself. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, keruchan said:

It's not hard to predict that sooner or later evernote will ditch windows to cut cost. 

Evernote went a different direction with their v10 product   
They ditched device specific apps for each platform, replaced with a generic code base

Windows/Macs are still supported

Link to comment
  • Level 5

Let us better say: Windows and Mac are still fully supported - the desktop app has the most features, several of them exclusive to desktop.

Mobile uses a different framework than desktop, which is tailored for the use on mobile. It will not be easy to port this to a desktop, and still get a reasonable performance. Microsoft obviously has a hard time to get Android apps (! Nor Android itself) up and running on Windows 11. And for the Mac still exist only few „universal“ apps, able to run both on iOS and MacOS, although since M1 the Mac is sharing the same processor platform with iPhone and iPad.

This whole discussion started with nonsense, and for me it stops here. All is said, let’s head for the bar (or if preferred for the gym).

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...