(Deep) Technical Assistance Needed. Please help if you think you might be able to!!

Okay, Here's what I'm dealing with. I've downloaded Evernote onto my laptop every which way possible and multiple times at that, as will become evident, and I now find it literally impossible for me to access (get it to even open - as a Windows app or a proper PC program). I don't blame anyone if you have trouble understanding the way Iaid out the diagnostics but please get back to me - anyone - and please ask any of the multitude of questions the following diagnostic info might prompt so this headache can go away because once the diagnostics - which are 100% accurate if maybe somewhat lacking in format - are understood, that's when the issue actually STARTS getting complicated.....

Anything I put in bold or underlined that's not just highlighting the type of qualitative data to follow is like that because it indicates something that appears significant in that it does not seem to make sense.....

Error Message #1: "C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\config.json
SyntaxError: Unexpected token"………This seems to refer to the program shortcut given the installation path being referenced…..

Error Message #2: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_10.7.6.0_x86__q4d96b2w5wcc2\app\Evernote
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."……This seems to refer to the app given the installation path being referenced…….

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO VERSIONS: PC "program" and Windows "app"

Windows app details

Location: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_10.7.6.0_x86__q4d96b2w5wcc2\app\Evernote

Install Date: 2/5/21
*"app" folder contained in also with .bin; .dll; .pak, .html, .dat, .txt, .json files and 3 folders

*Evernote the only .exe 

*3 files in app folder w/diff modification dates --> "vk_swiftshader_icd.json" from 2/24/20; "d3dcompiler_47.dll" & "LICENSE.electron.txt" from 12/3/20

Size: 408.70 MB

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PC program details

Version: 10.8.4.23.49

Date: 2/5/21

Size: 123.19 MB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

PC program SHORTCUT details

Location: C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Date: 11/30/20

Size: 3 KB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC PROGRAM DETAILS FOUND VIA CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS:

Evernote Program #1: "Evernote 10.8.4"
Evernote Program #2: "Evernote 10.8.4 (All Users)"

This must be the result of me attempting to DL the updated program twice (with no success)

Install Date: 2/10/21 for each

Size: 857 MB for each

5 minutes ago, HangLoose&StaySharp said:

Error Message #1: "C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\config.json
SyntaxError: Unexpected token"………This seems to refer to the program shortcut given the installation path being referenced…..

See 

Can't help wit the second one

Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I don't think that helps me. The forum you directed  me to seemed to indicate the problem was  Evernote running in the background in some capacity. The issue is more complicated than that I believe. I have to believe that the underlying problem is related to multiple installation instances which did not update as they should have but rather installed to multiplicity as both an app from the Windows store (which is ***** awful just in general; MS never should have gotten away from straight software downloads in favor of ***** app versions of the exact same things build less solidly but I digress) and as a full program download from Evernote, and there's some crossing of OS architecture pathways that are effectively making the program unusable unless I use my phone or the web version. That's where I'm at but though I think I somewhat understand the general problem in a very vague way, I have absolutely no idea what the solution is short of ripping every piece of residual evernote program data from my system and reinstall...which I'm very close to doing but I like to figure ***** out and also like learning stuff like this so I'm putting up this forum post....

If anyone else feels like taking a stab at this FEEL FREE. Thanks. 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Try uninstall / restart device / reinstall.  If that doesn't work,  repeat with Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner for the uninstall to remove all settings / other traces.  (You may want to backup any EXB database files you have on your system just in case...)

Your other option would be to try Support - Basic users don't get email support,  but if you check your upgrade options it may be possible to activate monthly subscriptions and downgrade again once the issue is resolved.

For reference -

• Like 1

Your problems might result from a mix of App- and Program-installations. Your App is version Evernote_10.7.6.0 (old) whereas the Program is 10.8.4 (the actual one).

I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall the App
  2. Uninstall the Program
  3. Verify that "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" and "C:\Users\Andrew\AppData\Local\Programs" do not contain anything that belongs to "Evernote*"
  4. Install Program (Exe) from https://evernote.com/download (NOT the App)

Are Your doing this only for test purposes? If not (if You really need to work with Evernote), You may use the Legacy version from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

PS.: Justet tested to use App and Program in parallel: it works. But it installed 10.8.4 in both cases...

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

... switch off all security software (anti-virus, internet security, firewall) while uninstalling and installing ...

... and do not install both the AppStore and direct download (v10) versions. (You can install the AppStore and v6 direct download)