Web Client 10.8.4-web (230) External Links -Don't Open 1st Time!

RavBoy

I read something about an update to the latest EN-Web version, claiming they fixed the multiple click's required when clicking a hyperlink/external link that goes to another website.

Quote:  External links in your notes now open the first time you click them

However I am still getting the 'YOU ARE LEAVING EVERNOTE' popup asking to 'Continue' or 'Back'.  I'm using EN-Web version is 10.8.4-web (230)... is this the latest version?  Should this double click issue still persist?  Note - any external links in my notes about the Evernote company/resources that link back to the main EN website or subdomains do indeed 'open the first time' yet any other website takes multiple clicks...

• RavBoy changed the title to Web Client 10.8.4-web (230) External Links -Don't Open 1st Time!

Hi @gbarry... are ehrt74 comments above, correct?  If so why would there be a distinction between external links pointing to Evernote's website/subdomains that open immediately or 'the first time', and other non-Evernote websites where I am hit by the 'You are Leaving Evernote' Roadblock popup?

Just stretching a little further, can you explain why this pop-up is even needed? I mean, the external links do open in a separate tab, so it's not like the active EN session-tab disappears.

10 hours ago, RavBoy said:

Hi @gbarry... are ehrt74 comments above, correct?  If so why would there be a distinction between external links pointing to Evernote's website/subdomains that open immediately or 'the first time', and other non-Evernote websites where I am hit by the 'You are Leaving Evernote' Roadblock popup?

Just stretching a little further, can you explain why this pop-up is even needed? I mean, the external links do open in a separate tab, so it's not like the active EN session-tab disappears.

I imagine a reason used to be that the page you open doesn't know anything interesting about the page you came from apart from that it was evernote (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer), however HTML5 has a way to suppress that, so an intermediate page doesn't make sense here.

my best guess (for what it's worth) is that it's a legal thing.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

HTML5 has a way to suppress that, so an intermediate page doesn't make sense here.

my best guess (for what it's worth) is that it's a legal thing

Ok, thanks for that.  From recollection, EN-Web wasn't like this before the recent v10 upgrades.  So based on what you said re legal stuff, and if I get what you're saying, they have done this to close a legal hole/potential issue, that previously was wide open for them!? Hopefully they can remove the pop-up roadblock at some time in the near future...cheers

I also dislike this "You are leaving Evernote." extra prompt.  I manage to find a workaround while waiting for EN to fix it.  If you right click, instead of left click, the link, choose open link in a new tab or new window, it will open without the "You are leaving Evernote." extra prompt.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RavBoy said:

From recollection, EN-Web wasn't like this before the recent v10 upgrades.

Unfortunately, links in the web client have been like this for years. I'm pretty sure the warning started showing up the last time they did a major overhaul of the web client. This thread has a work around for the old version of the warning, i'm unsure if it still works with V10.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TonyLim said:

right click, instead of left click, the link, choose open link in a new tab or new window, it will open without the "You are leaving Evernote." extra prompt.

YEP, that worked perfect, thanks

1 hour ago, Lemini said:

links in the web client have been like this for years.

Oh right... I wasn't aware. I use EN-windows most of the time, followed by EN-Android, EN-iOS, and lastly EN-Web.  I reckon the TamperMonkey chrome extension solution discussed in the link you shared should work fine with V10... be good to know for others that may red this thread.  For now I will use right-click on external links when using EN-Web. Thanks everyone