Global Shortcut for Screen Capture - other screens?

jvmatl

Idea

I just upgraded to 10.8.4 on Mac, and I love the new features! The Global shortcuts, in particular, are pretty great, as is the 'Evernote Helper' thingy that can capture part of the screen and throw it into a note. (Maybe that's not new, but it was new to me, when I found the keyboard shortcut for it!)

Anyway, my request is this: I run a three-monitor setup (the built-in display on a Macbook and two Apple Thunderbolt displays) and I would like to be able to do full-screen capture by keyboard shortcut on any of my screens. So far as I can tell, the Global screen capture button always captures the 'main' display (the one that gets the menu bar in display preferences.) UPDATE: I just tested and verified this by moving the menubar within Display Preferences/ Arrangement tab, and the global screen capture always follows the menubar.

Ideally, I would like to capture whichever screen has my mouse pointer on it, but I'm not sure if this is technically feasible, and maybe there are issues with it, accessibility-wise. Next-best would be if the global screen capture button always captured whichever screen holds the current "foreground" application. So, to do a screengrab on one of my side screens, all I would have to do is mouse-click an app on that screen and then hit the magic keystroke combo.

Thanks for your time.

• Thanks 1

3 replies to this idea

Yes, of course I can use MacOS Built-in-screen capture - I could also cut and paste those screenshots into word documents and pull them in as notes if I wanted to be silly -- but right now there exists an Evernote keystroke shortcut for easy capturing from one of my three screens and not the other two:

So if the thing I want to capture is on my center display, it takes one shortcut to create a note from a screenshot, easy peasy. If the thing I want to capture is on one of my side displays, I have to a do a different action to get a macOS screen grab, save it to the desktop, then create a note, then find the screenshot on my desktop, drag it onto the new note, then delete the screenshot from my desktop when I don't need it anymore. I was hoping for a simple solution that would let me achieve the same logical action (save a note from as screenshot) with the same physical actions (click on screen, then activate the same screencap shortcut) no matter where the image I want to capture lives on my desktop.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Focus on the screen you are interested in

Use cmd-shift-5

select full screen, window, or screen capture

select "mail", then use

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/131642-save-pdf-to-evernote-from-print-dialog-has-stopped-working/?tab=comments#comment-608788

(The EN helper (elephant ) for screencaps is misbehaving for me on some computers—I think this happened after the 10.8.5 update, but I'm not sure).