Evernote not opening when offline

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you selected the option to retain a copy of the database when the app shuts down?  

I'm a macOS user. Latest version of everything and have this same issue. There basically is no preference pane for that and about once a week when offline I lose the ability to open and use Evernote. Then I try to restart, and cannot even open it back up without a connection. this seems intolerable to me and not a well thought out plan.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, rogw said:

I'm a macOS user. Latest version of everything and have this same issue. There basically is no preference pane for that and about once a week when offline I lose the ability to open and use Evernote. Then I try to restart, and cannot even open it back up without a connection. this seems intolerable to me and not a well thought out plan.

This is a Windows thread,  but I did think MacOS users had the same option...  Try Support https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rogw said:

There basically is no preference pane for that and about once a week when offline I lose the ability to open and use Evernote.

1122816390_ScreenShot2021-02-09at08_17_56.png.e61334a9d1794f4498c950efc5fba217.png     1989572516_ScreenShot2021-02-09at08_25_38.png.70d3bd12d18c95b93b93d8c093b121b5.png

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you selected the option to retain a copy of the database when the app shuts down?  

I am having the same issue (unable to access notes when opening the app while offline).  I am a "Plus" user on Windows 10 using evernote version 10.9.10.

I don't see this option to "retain a copy of the database" anywhere.  The only similar option is "save data at log out" which is checked.

• Level 5

In v10 you don’t have the option to decide between using the local or the server based data. When you are online, v10 always uses the server data. The „Save data at logout“ option is only meant for offline situations.

Currently the mobile clients have a better control over the offline data situation than the desktop clients. On mobile you can define any notebook to be (or not to be) downloaded for offline use. Or you download all notebooks, if your device can take it.

Just one other thought. From the "What's new in Evernote" webpage

Can I use the new Evernote app offline?

Yes. To use Evernote offline, ensure you are signed in to the app before disconnecting from the internet.

I haven't explored exactly what this means. On the face of it, it seems to be suggesting that EN will work if you have an interuption to your internet connection but don't expect to be able to go somewhere with no internet, switch on your laptop and start working.

• Level 5

As I understand it, you need to be logged into your account in the app before you go offline. You can close the app, you can shut down the computer, and it will start when you power up again while offline. The only thing you must not do is to log out of your account in the app before going offline. Probably it checks your account status and settings online, and stores them in the app. If you log out, these credentials are dumped.

My own test about this is pending ...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

As @PinkElephant - my understanding was that if you were logged in,  the app was available even when off the grid.  I'm not in a position to check anytime soon though - not going anywhere near that for the moment...  though I am a happy (online) user of Evernote Linux 10.  Hmmn....

It’s spotty at best. I’ve done it all. I’m logged in. Keep Evernote open close the computer and in the morning EN does not work. Don’t even try to restart the computer because it hasn’t worked for me ever. Unfortunately (?) i live in the country and don’t get good internet and sometimes I’m traveling. EN has been spotty. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. It has been totally unacceptable. When it does work (macOS) sometimes search didn’t work at all. Of course, when I desperately need to use it it doesn’t work. 

When I contact customer support all they can talk to me about is canned response about offline notebooks. Different issue all together. 

last time after wading through days of canned responses on useless topics they finally upgraded my problem. Then they needed log files. I couldn’t open EN to get log files. When I finally did send them it was again useless support and sent me back to replicate it and send another video of what is happening. 

so all I’m saying is EN “Stay logged in before” your go offline does not work always. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, rogw said:

all I’m saying is EN “Stay logged in before” your go offline does not work always. 

Duly noted - sorry you're getting the run-around from support.  Best I can offer is: Legacy works fine on or off the grid.  I'd suggest you (and anyone else with the same issue) keep on at support too - report the issue each time it happens.  There are a lot of good people there - and if it's clearly an issue for lots of users,  they're going to have to fix it eventually...

This is near useless if I can't use offline. I always keep the most recent update. Is that a mistake? What's the point of offline if you have to be online first? I see no user preferences to get around this, Can someone post step-by-step?

My situation is simple. When I go to use  my laptop (outdoors) , there is no internet. That's the whole point & need. But from what I see here, I have to be signed in before going off line. 

3 hours ago, Mancomb said:

This is near useless if I can't use offline

Agree.... the legacy version fixes the issue for now. Hopefully the current version gets fully fixed.