Searching Based on Tags and Text

Hi,

In legacy Evernote I commonly select one or more tags (via the tag list or shortcut list on the left panel) and then search for text within those notes to get a list of notes I want to examine.  Specifically I click on a shortcut that specifies the tags and then type into the search field.  This is very efficient: click the shortcut, click to position the cursor in the search field, and then type my search term.  

When I naively try this procedure with the new Evernote it doesn't work.  If I click on the shortcut I see the matching notes as expected, but when I type in the search field my tag selection is discarded and ALL my notes are searched.  

If I try reversing the process, i.e. search for the text and then filter via tags, it fails in the same way.  The text search searches every note as I expect, but when I specify the tag filters the text search is ignored so I see ALL notes that match the tag filters.  

I tried using the search field tag: feature to specify the tags in the search field with the search term.  That works, but it's not practical because I must type way more and remember all the tags and type them all in.  That makes searching so much more work that it's not practical for regular use.  

I've searched the online documentation but can find nothing about this.

Please someone tell me how I can search using both tag and text criteria that doesn't require that I type in all the tags manually but rather lets me select the shortcuts and tags from a list.  

Thanks,
Mike

Eric, thanks for that, but I don't follow.  I do have the left toolbar open.  If I've entered search text, what do I do then?  When I click (or Ctrl-click or Alt-click) on a tag the search text disappears, so how do I add the tags without clearing the text search?  

I did find another solution, sort of.  You can do the text search first, and then use the Add Filters icon to add tags from a list.  That order is unintuitive to me (I prefer setting where I'm searching first) but maybe some will prefer it.  However I still don't see a way to use shortcuts with a text search, which is a big loss for me.  Why remove the more intuitive (Ctrl-click is a standard for selecting multiple items on a list) method that everyone is familiar with?  Any why remove the ability to use Shortcuts with text search altogether?   
2 hours ago, mikea144 said:

Hi,

In legacy Evernote I commonly select one or more tags (via the tag list or shortcut list on the left panel) and then search for text within those notes to get a list of notes I want to examine.  Specifically I click on a shortcut that specifies the tags and then type into the search field.  This is very efficient: click the shortcut, click to position the cursor in the search field, and then type my search term.  

When I naively try this procedure with the new Evernote it doesn't work.  If I click on the shortcut I see the matching notes as expected, but when I type in the search field my tag selection is discarded and ALL my notes are searched.  

If I try reversing the process, i.e. search for the text and then filter via tags, it fails in the same way.  The text search searches every note as I expect, but when I specify the tag filters the text search is ignored so I see ALL notes that match the tag filters.  

I tried using the search field tag: feature to specify the tags in the search field with the search term.  That works, but it's not practical because I must type way more and remember all the tags and type them all in.  That makes searching so much more work that it's not practical for regular use.  

I've searched the online documentation but can find nothing about this.

Please someone tell me how I can search using both tag and text criteria that doesn't require that I type in all the tags manually but rather lets me select the shortcuts and tags from a list.  

Thanks,
Mike

48 minutes ago, mikea144 said:
Eric, thanks for that, but I don't follow.  I do have the left toolbar open.  If I've entered search text, what do I do then?  When I click (or Ctrl-click or Alt-click) on a tag the search text disappears, so how do I add the tags without clearing the text search?  

I did find another solution, sort of.  You can do the text search first, and then use the Add Filters icon to add tags from a list.  That order is unintuitive to me (I prefer setting where I'm searching first) but maybe some will prefer it.  However I still don't see a way to use shortcuts with a text search, which is a big loss for me.  Why remove the more intuitive (Ctrl-click is a standard for selecting multiple items on a list) method that everyone is familiar with?  Any why remove the ability to use Shortcuts with text search altogether?   

First select the required tags with the tagfilter icon at the top (not from the taglist in the left toolbar!) . Then enter the search string. This works for me, at least in the windows version.

That said, I fully agree that there are still many issues with tag and search string combinations