Make date pickers consistent and more efficient

AdmiralP

Idea

I originally posted this in the bugs forum and raised a support ticket with Evernote on the subject. I was disappointed when the response to the support ticket was "I have checked on my end, and it appears that this is an expected behavior with the new app." I had been under the impression that one of the drivers of the v10 development was to ensure consistency in Evernote across platforms and between functions.

While EN v10 is improving all the time, and I rarely have to switch over to my co-resident Legacy version, there are a few features that would benefit from being made more consistent to allow better workflow.

One irritation I have with v10.7.6 is the inconsistent implementation of date-pickers.

I use the facility to alter the Note Created date regularly in my workflow, using Ctrl+Shift+N to open the Note Info window and then tabbing twice to the “Created” field and then clicking to open the date-picker. The current month is displayed in a 5 x 7 grid. However, as I found in January 2021, the 5x7 arrangement doesn’t always display a whole month due to the 1st being a Friday (1st row) meaning that the 5th row ends on 30th, so you have to move to the February to select 31st (Sunday).

This display is inconsistent with the date-picker for the Reminder facility. When you click the Edit option on the Reminder icon you get a month display in a 6 x7 grid which will show all the says in a month like January. This sort of inconsistency creates a feeling of “are the developers talking to one another?”

Comparing these two date-picker options, thee also seems to be inconsistency around using Escape to cancel out of the operation; and having selected a specific date in the Reminder window you can just click Enter to complete the action, but if changing the Created date when you’ve selected a date, you have to the “Save” button and click that to compete the process. [Note also that the completion button on the Created date edit window is labelled “Save” while the completion button on the Reminder edit window is labelled “Done” – that could be confusing as another Reminder option is to mark/unmark the Reminder as done…]

I also feel it would be useful to navigate around the date-picker grids using the left/right arrow keys, and ideally to improve the workflow, it would be good to have a shortcut to open the Reminder edit window rather than having to mouse down and select the bell icon at the bottom of the screen.

I like EN v10 – it works – but there are a number of rough edges that need cleaning up to make it smoother to use, being able to complete actions using keyboard shortcuts rather than having to switch between keyboard and mouse in the middle of an action.

Looking forward to future improvements.

3 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

I'm content with the improvements in the date/time picker that we have seen in the last couple of releases for the desktop app. The Escape key does exactly what I would expect and is the equivalent to cancel when setting reminders and takes me back the Note Information screen where I can cancel all the changes made or save what I have on screen.  It feels intuitively correct for me. But I suppose the two slightly different interfaces could be harmonised - perhaps save some code ;)

And this is the problem with UI design. One user finds a particular approach the best and another wants something different. I guess, sometimes, the designers have to decide that what they have done is what is going to happen and accept that one user will be delighted and another disappointed.

You are correct that the edges remain uneven but things are improving. My list of outstanding issues that affect my workflow is reducing in length.

agsteele - I appreciate your comments (as always).

I do agree that v10 is improving, and it's has been weeks since I actually used the co-resident Legacy version on my PC.

In this instance I have found it jarring that when performing the same task (selecting a date)  in different parts of Evernote that the process I follow is not the same.  It makes me wonder if the developers are not "power users" who like to navigate via the keyboard rather than dragging a mouse across the screen 🤔

Certainly UI design can be challenging, but even if it doesn't suit all users,  it ought to be consistent.

Thanks for flagging the use of the Esc key on the Note Info window -  I had overlooked that; I'm sure that pre-v10.7.6 the Enter key worked on the Bore Info window to save the changes,... but I may be mis-remembering things after adjusting to v10's shortcuts. So I can use Esc on Note Info but Enter on Reminder window, ah welll!