Evernote won't unsync my devices. Web Help and Learning don't work.

So I used Evernote Monday evening at home using the windows App. When I was done I signed out. Tuesday morning I tried to log in at work in the windows App. It told me I need to unsync a device. I thought maybe I had forgotten to sign out at home. When I got home that evening I checked and sure enough I was logged out. The next day at work I try to log in to the windows app. I get the same message about unsyncing. The only device I am actually logged that works is my android. I tried logging in to the web and that of course doesn't work either. So I thought I'll go tech support/help. I click on Help from Evernote.com, that takes me to a help and learning page. At the top I see a button that says "Log in to Help & Learning" I click on that and get taken to a login page. I enter my name and password and than am taken to a page that reads "You have logged out of Evernote." 

Additionally when I go to account security and enter my password It gives me an error message and doesn't seem to recognize my password. (But it still accepts it to tell me I need to unsync devices...)

So how do I get any help to fix this problem?

Andy

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Basic users are allowed to connect to the app with 2 devices - which includes all mobiles, desktops and the web client.  The message is asking you to sign out of one or more devices.  See here for more... Understanding the device limit

As I clearly stated I was signed out of all devices except 1. Evernote is saying that I I'm still logged in. This is the second time in a few weeks that this has happened.

In the app/program I click on sign out **** it then signs me out.

When I restart the app I am required to sign in by entering my username and password.

I have verified that I am not synced (with the computer app) by logging in via the web.

Edited by vikensign
added info

I will have to try this on monday. Yesterday I used up my last sync to Unsync both devices that I had logged out of. That allowed me to log in from work.

As a side note. Today I signed on to the app at home with no problem. I signed out and logged on to the web interface with no problem. I checked the Devices screen and it said I had two active sign ons. the web and my android (which is always logged on) Oddly enough it showed the last active date as yesterday. I signed out of the web interface and tried to sign on with the app. It promptly told me I needed to unsync a device. I closed that out and tried to sign in with the web interface and it worked fine. I was able to revoke both devices (it kicked me out of the web interface because that was a device) and can now log back in to my app.

It appears that somehow Evernote is not registering that it is logging me out of devices properly

One thing to note that I didn't think of before. I was forced to update the web clipper a couple days ago. I use it on both home and work browsers. This never happened before that instance.

Honestly I don't have the time to go through these gymnastics every time. I just need something that works the way it is supposed to. I have used Evernote for the last 8 years and now all of a sudden it has these glitches.

I will report back Monday when I get to work and see how everything is working.

• Level 5

The number of devices is restricted to 2, the web client counts as a device plus the number of unsyncing devices per month are limited as well.

So if you used EN for 8 years now without paying, it it probably time to rethink your use case. It is not EN punishing you - it is simply the idea that if you use EN for serious use cases, you are expected to participate in financing what you get.

So it is not glitching, it is itching.

445B3646-3341-44F2-9D3E-EF27EA63DBD2.thumb.jpeg.f1d55ba3715580b1385319d4fe436c00.jpeg

38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The number of devices is restricted to 2, the web client counts as a device plus the number of unsyncing devices per month are limited as well.

So if you used EN for 8 years now without paying, it it probably time to rethink your use case. It is not EN punishing you - it is simply the idea that if you use EN for serious use cases, you are expected to participate in financing what you get.

So it is not glitching, it is itching.

Please reread the initial problem. Then reread it again.

As I clearly stated in the first post I was signed out of everything except 1 device.

As I stated again in  a later post I replicated the problem again this morning.

Unless Evernote is supposed to NOT register when I sign out of a device/the web interface I am clearly experiencing a glitch.

• Level 5

There is a limit of how often you can sign out of devices now for the Basic account. When you used up the number of „outsignings“ for the current month, you can’t reassign new devices, even if you have less than two active ones. How they calculate this - no idea. Somebody probably knows.

But maybe I still don’t understand your problem.

Where is that stated limit of how often you can sign/log out anywhere? There is a limitation of how often you can unsync remotely that took place in Oct. of last year. 

That is not what is happening.

Put as simply as possible.

I have three devices. A work computer in one location. A Home computer in another location. A phone with App installed with me. I typically use the app/program on my work and home computers. For the last couple of years, probably about 3, I log/sign on to the work computer monday morning. I use it during the week to maintain a to do list. On Friday I log/sign out of the work computer. Sometimes during the weekend I use the app/program to sign into my Evernote at home. When I am done I log/sign out. This has not been an issue up until last tuesday.

Long story short I am only logged/signed into 1 device. My phone.

When I go to log into another device/web I am told  I need to unsync a device. There are only two of these available a month.

If logging/signing out is NOT the same as unsyncing and this is the intended behavior that is fine. But this would be a new restriction since last week. I have seen no new announcements that say anything about this change.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, vikensign said:

If logging/signing out is NOT the same as unsyncing and this is the intended behavior that is fine

That's supposed to be the case.  Accessing the account from one device 'registers' that device as connected to the account.  When you connect from another device (even if that is the web page),  you have used up your device allowance.  You're allowed to unsync a device twice in a month.  It's restrictive because this is a free account. Users are supposed to be testing to see whether they like it enough to pay for their service.  If you don't want to pay - that's fine;  maybe you should look elsewhere.  Otherwise to remove these roadblocks... just subscribe!

• Like 1

So just an update. My Evernote is back to normal. It required me to log out of all devices then log in and revoke everything that Evernote thought was still signed in on.

There were two devices that for some reason were showing as logged in on even thought I had signed out on both. Oddly it showed different devices at different locations.

Logging out is exactly the same as unsyncing, except that it does not appear to count against you. You can log on and off at least 14 times a week (that's what I did to test it out this last week - three locations 6 devices)

Of course the bigger problem was that their was zero access to tech support:

On 2/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, vikensign said:

So I thought I'll go tech support/help. I click on Help from Evernote.com, that takes me to a help and learning page. At the top I see a button that says "Log in to Help & Learning" I click on that and get taken to a login page. I enter my name and password and than am taken to a page that reads "You have logged out of Evernote." 

Additionally when I go to account security and enter my password It gives me an error message and doesn't seem to recognize my password. (But it still accepts it to tell me I need to unsync devices...)

I just tested this and it still goes in a never-ending loop.

According to Evernote they have millions of customers. I would expect better software, UX and service from a company that was truly this big.

I will continue to use Evernote as I have been but there is a serious flaw with the current setup and I am looking at other options.

If you are suddenly without internet access and you are currently not logged in you are screwed. Truly you should have access to your local notes no matter what (at least on an actual computer, I probably wouldn't want my almost 3 gigs of files on my phone anyway).

Also, what happens if Evernote has a problem with their servers or something goes wrong and Evernote disappears. I think this is not likely to happen but after reading about all the problems that Evernote seems to be having lately I am going to be overly cautious. I have been burned too many times over the years by companies that were here one moment and gone the next. Given the fact that I had NO apparent way to contact tech support seriously concerns me.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, vikensign said:

Given the fact that I had NO apparent way to contact tech support seriously concerns me.

I may have mentioned before - you're using a free service;  become a subscriber and you'll have access to Support.  Meantime:

Checking  for service interruptions 

Support queries

Or,  obviously,  post here - where you got a reaction from two of us within 48 hours.