Genuine curiosity: why is so difficult to add some basic features to Evernote 10?

Pere

Idea

One of the complaints about Evernote 10 is the lack of basic features. One of the missing features is the Ctrl-Q shortcut, found in Evernote 6. 

I'm just curious. Why is it so difficult to add a keyboard shortcut, such as Ctrl-Q on an Electron app? Isn't this something basic that can be coded in a few days? What makes it so difficult?

4 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Plus: imagine the 'old' Evernote had,  in total,  1,000 features - some specific to one operating system or another.  V10 came off the blocks with about 200 common easy-to-code basic features common to all.  They're still going through the other 800 to add (most of) them back - with users baying in the background "where's my <insert feature> it's essential to my workflow!!"  It takes a significant time to add each feature,  so they can't all be coded at once;  there will (hopefully) be a listing of priorities. 

They'll probably group features like keyboard shortcuts together,  because it makes no sense to rewrite the keyboard routines multiple times when you could do it once for most of them at one time.  And sometimes even a 'simple' fix takes time if it has lots of friends that are still being coded...

or they could have listened to all the beta testers and introduced the 500 most demanded features before they released V10 to an unsuspecting public! 90% of all the issues being raised now were raised in the beta. 

• Like 5
  • Level 5

Think of v10 as a web site running in a browser. The web site communicates only with the browser, the browser is handling all things with the computer. In case of EN it is a underlying framework (that is based on browser technology) that handles it.

AFAIK features that only run inside of the framework, or that are directly supported by the framework are simpler to implement than everything that interacts with the computer OS. Shortcuts are the later - how often did a web site teach your computer to allow new shortcuts ?

The old clients were native, the code interacted directly with the OS.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Plus: imagine the 'old' Evernote had,  in total,  1,000 features - some specific to one operating system or another.  V10 came off the blocks with about 200 common easy-to-code basic features common to all.  They're still going through the other 800 to add (most of) them back - with users baying in the background "where's my <insert feature> it's essential to my workflow!!"  It takes a significant time to add each feature,  so they can't all be coded at once;  there will (hopefully) be a listing of priorities. 

They'll probably group features like keyboard shortcuts together,  because it makes no sense to rewrite the keyboard routines multiple times when you could do it once for most of them at one time.  And sometimes even a 'simple' fix takes time if it has lots of friends that are still being coded...

• Like 1
On 2/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, PinkElephant said:

Think of v10 as a web site running in a browser. The web site communicates only with the browser, the browser is handling all things with the computer. In case of EN it is a underlying framework (that is based on browser technology) that handles it.

AFAIK features that only run inside of the framework, or that are directly supported by the framework are simpler to implement than everything that interacts with the computer OS. Shortcuts are the later - how often did a web site teach your computer to allow new shortcuts ?

The old clients were native, the code interacted directly with the OS.

This sounds strange to me. There are many Electron based apps that use shortcuts a lot. Visual Studio Code is an example.