Please add Filter and Reminder options for Stacks just like in Notebooks

ikey

Idea

Stacks should have the same filtering options as Notebooks:

• Option to view "Notes" & "Reminders"
  • Option to "Add Filters"

Personally, for "Reminders", I would love to see the old format that allowed to see Reminders grouped by Notebooks. That was super useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 replies to this idea

1 hour ago, ikey said:

Stacks should have the same filtering options as Notebooks:

• Option to view "Notes" & "Reminders"
  • Option to "Add Filters"

Personally, for "Reminders", I would love to see the old format that allowed to see Reminders grouped by Notebooks. That was super useful.

This has been raised before and I completely agree. You can view all the notes in the stack by clicking the stack in the sidebar or the notebook window. However it is strange that there is no reminders tab or filter icon in this view.

A partial workaround is to use the (I believe undocumented) search syntax stack: in the search bar. This then gives you access to the filters menu but unfortunately still no reminders. It would also  be nice if they included stacks in the filter menu or at least the ability to select more than one notebook. 

image.png.8ff395676aa3b25699b65f8dc69856c4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I think it is for a technical reason: AFAIK stacks don't "really" exist as an own entity.

You can have an empty notebook, because notebooks are really created as an entity, independent from holding any notes. There is a Notebook table that can be read and filtered.

You can not create an empty stack. The stack starts to exist when the first notebook is assigned to it - because the stack is only a field in the metadata of notebooks. There is no "stack" table that a filter could read.

Looking up stacks means reading all notebooks, and extracting those that hold the same stack name. This does not say it is impossible, but the system load is probably much larger than with notebooks or tags.

To focus a search on a specific stack, you can use the advanced search syntax an use the "stack:mystackname" operator. It won't show the stack as filter, but only search in notebooks in the "mystackname" stack. It will show all notebooks as filtered where inside of the stack the search term has been found.

1 hour ago, angelk said:

Now we are awaiting for the final step: the filter icon to appear when we select a stack.

I agree that it doesn't seem logical that you cannot filter when you have selected a stack. Similarly the search menu does not behave the same as when you search within a notebook - you do not have the option to only search in the stack.

In the meantime you can filter by stack and then save that as a saved search and shortcut. You will get exactly the same notes displayed except the filter menu appears and you can search just within the stack. This is probably not practical if you have alot of stacks.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2022 at 4:30 PM, makeitwork said:

+1 for reminders tab in stack. it just has to echo whatever reminders are in the stacked notebooks, this shouldn't be a heavy lift for the devs.

You can do this already, but not necessarily in the way you would think as most intuitive. If you filter all notes by the stack using the filter menu you get the reminders tab.

image.png.2202a04d5d859efcca06abdfc981ef49.png

You don't get the reminders tab if you just select the stack, for example from the side bar. This would be a useful and logical addition

image.png.83b6f79b3143cc0fbd7f5e160d9a7108.png

• Thanks 1