Make tables remember changed font and text size (even for empty cells)

Alex Mas

Idea

If I change the font or text size for a whole table, it still reverts to default for the input I make in a previously empty cell, which means I have to change the font again after every edit.

It would be so nice if the table could just remember what font and size I set it to and keep the rest of the inputs in the same style.

7 replies to this idea

On 2/3/2021 at 7:15 AM, Alex Mas said:

If I change the font or text size for a whole table, it still reverts to default for the input I make in a previously empty cell, which means I have to change the font again after every edit.

It would be so nice if the table could just remember what font and size I set it to and keep the rest of the inputs in the same style.

You're right. Formatting only effects text in cells not empty cells. I think, like you, I would also expect to be able to format the empty cells.

The work around is to format after you have added the text. This obviously doesn't help if you still have empty cells and then subsequently fill them in. As I've noted in another thread, if you select the text in a cell (not the whole cell) and delete it, the formatting is retained, even when you click out of the cell or even close the note and re-open it.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, Mike P said:

You're right. Formatting only effects text in cells not empty cells. I think, like you, I would also expect to be able to format the empty cells.

The work around is to format after you have added the text. This obviously doesn't help if you still have empty cells and then subsequently fill them in. As I've noted in another thread, if you select the text in a cell (not the whole cell) and delete it, the formatting is retained, even when you click out of the cell or even close the note and re-open it.

Yes, it's true that there are a few workarounds that helps. Since I use headers in my tables I usually copy a word from a different cell, paste it in the new cell, double click on it and then add my text... which is slightly quicker than formatting it through the menu.

Where I don't need different formatting within the note it's much easier to just ctrl+a and then format the whole note, but that's rarely the case with more complex notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

May not work on the new version but I found If in legacy (or legendary at this point) you do a  Ctrl+A in the note and set the font it will persist in blank cells.  Of course this sets the font for all text in the note.  YMMV.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I'm afraid it doesn't work in V10.

Oh well.  Something else to add to my list of reasons to delay  as long as possible up/down grading to V10 desktop.

• Like 1

I'm frustrated with the same issue. I want to use San Serif 12 but empty cells stay in 16. I hope Evernote is working on this. It's such a common sense thing I'm surprised Evernote didn't code this. The last two updates have taken away some of my love for Evernote.